N00bs Hiding Caches

Douglas_Clan

Guess I need a little claification on the rules.

We solved the puzzle quickly, headed off to find the cache. Looked for about an hour in what we think is the right spot. We decide to leave, and verify that we do have the right coords. Alas we're pretty sure we pass the cache owners, (holding a tub that says "geocache") on their way in to hide it. Does that mean I get to claim FTF for a cache that wasn't there ?

It's time to have a minimum number of finds before you can place.

There have been previous debates on this before. I was even pro for a minimum number of finds first but have since changed my mind (to be explained later). During those debates, it was revealed that even some seasoned players will set the coordinates and wait for approval before placement. Requiring a minimum number of finds wouldn't have solved that issue either.

It's frustrating, but this is what happens when you go after an FTF or try to be an early finder. Coordinates can be off and the cache might not even be there.

What changed my mind? There are a number of folks I've met whom have started out as newbies and within their first 1/2 dozen finds or so, have created some outstanding hides.

The real solution? You should have introduced yourself and after a gentle inquiry of the container, advised of the waste of time you spent looking for a cache that wasn't yet planted if that was indeed the cache to be hidden. Not only would you have made a new friend, but you would have given a newbie the opportunity to do it the right way on their next hide; all without requiring a minimum number of finds first.

I must agree with TotemLake about N00bish mistakes being just another part of the 'fun' (aka risk factor) of going for FTFs. Though I should also add these mistakes aren't made just by N00bs...

Douglas_Clan your point is well taken that they can be super frustrating!!

Edited by markta

I'm guilty of doing the same thing with the first cache I placed. I'd read so many threads in the forums about how long it takes to get a cache approved, I never expected my first cache to be approved overnight within hours of submitting it. It was -10 F and the FTF attempters were very gracious about the whole incident. I think I could have made the same mistake whether I'd found 50 or 500 caches at that time. I have since learned how to use the "Is this cache active" check box to hold cache pages until the cache is actually placed. I certainly learned my lesson and I hope other let the new cachers learn theirs in a positive way.

Though I hesitate to quibble with some of my most esteemed and learned geopals :P , I must respectfully disagree with the suggestion that the FTF consequences should naturally include the cache not being there at all 'cuz the hider hasn't yet even placed it (nor, that going after such a non-existent cache is somehow just part of the geocaching "adventure" and/or "fun").

Poor coordinates, typos, inaccurate checksums, etc. - yep, all fair game when one opts to attempt a FTF.

But the cache should surely BE there, in place when the hider submits the new cache for approval with the "Yes, this listing is active" box checked. To do otherwise is effectively a deliberate lie.

On the other hand, I do agree wholeheartedly that minimum find requirements for new hiders would serve no useful purpose whatsoever.

Though I hesitate to quibble with some of my most esteemed and learned geopals :unsure: , I must respectfully disagree with the suggestion that the FTF consequences should naturally include the cache not being there at all 'cuz the hider hasn't yet even placed it (nor, that going after such a non-existent cache is somehow just part of the geocaching "adventure" and/or "fun").

Poor coordinates, typos, inaccurate checksums, etc. - yep, all fair game when one opts to attempt a FTF.

But the cache should surely BE there, in place when the hider submits the new cache for approval with the "Yes, this listing is active" box checked. To do otherwise is effectively a deliberate lie.

On the other hand, I do agree wholeheartedly that minimum find requirements for new hiders would serve no useful purpose whatsoever.

Hi gg! (Waves from Alaska!)

No disagreement here! Not having the cache in place first was entirely our mistake and it was one we made only once! There are many others that have made the same mistake, but only once, I'm sure!

Though I hesitate to quibble with some of my most esteemed and learned geopals :unsure: , I must respectfully disagree with the suggestion that the FTF consequences should naturally include the cache not being there at all 'cuz the hider hasn't yet even placed it (nor, that going after such a non-existent cache is somehow just part of the geocaching "adventure" and/or "fun").

It is one of the hazards when you're dealing with newbies and it is something you're going to have to learn to live with. Is it right? Nobody said it was. I did say chalk it up as part of the adventure because that is exactly what it is everytime you step out to go find a cache. A cacher has an opportunity to turn a sour situation into something with a silver lining with everytime they go out.

I'll also respectfully point out because Douglas_Clan was too frustrated to say anything to the newbies, they also contributed to the problem towards the newbies' next hide being handled the same exact way instead of being part of the solution. They lost a perfect opportunity at turning a disappointing DNF into a golden opportunity to correct a mistake for the next time the newbies hide a cache. It's a great way to make friends and it's a great way to self-police the way things should be done.

It's all about attitude and making the best of an otherwise less than perfect situation.

=-=-edited to fix a mistake in terms-=-=

Edited by TotemLake

I'll also respectfully point out because Douglas_Clan was too frustrated to say anything to the newbies, they also contributed to the problem towards the newbies' next hide being handled the same exact way instead of being part of the solution. They lost a perfect opportunity...

Indeed! (most respectfully :( ) agreed on that score, TL!

And Hi backatcha <gaily waves from the Emerald City>, LBK! :unsure: