Should I Log My Own Cache?

I know the general rule is that you don’t log your own caches but I recently adopted a cache that the original owner could not maintain as it was a holiday cache.

I have now found it and checked that I am happy with it. In these circumstances should I post a maintenance log or a found it log?

Any thoughts?

Dave - The Gecko's

Can i play devils advocate? since everyone has said yes log it. i think i should say no don't log it. if it is now your cache to maintain then why should you log it?

Being Devils advocate i take it i am not allowed to say that i would log it myself!

I considered that response as you do get credit for the hide.

But I've found a cache that I later adopted and I do think you sould leave the find and accept the hide stat as valid.

So based on that what's the time limit? Find it the day before and adopt it the next? Adopt it now and find it the day after? What's the difference?

Finding your own cache that you placed yourself? Ah no.

I'd log it as a find - even after I adopted it if I had to go out and use the information on the cache page to find it for the first time. If, however, the old cache owner took me out to it first time I would not log it as a find unless I was able to find it without any help from the owner.

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

I've got a similar, though slightly more complicated situation. I recently adopted a group of 7 caches, all of which I had already found, except... one of them had moved something like eight miles from the original location where I found it. As it is so far away I was going to find it again, and log it as another find (after checking with the owner that this was OK), but I adopted it before I had a chance.

Other caches that I have 'found twice' have been moved in the region of 100m, and at the time the owners have stated in their logs that the new location can be logged as a new find.

I've got a similar, though slightly more complicated situation. I recently adopted a group of 7 caches, all of which I had already found, except... one of them had moved something like eight miles from the original location where I found it. As it is so far away I was going to find it again, and log it as another find (after checking with the owner that this was OK), but I adopted it before I had a chance.

Other caches that I have 'found twice' have been moved in the region of 100m, and at the time the owners have stated in their logs that the new location can be logged as a new find.

One cache listing, one find. I'm not into cache finds THAT much.

I know the general rule is that you don’t log your own caches but I recently adopted a cache that the original owner could not maintain as it was a holiday cache.

I have now found it and checked that I am happy with it. In these circumstances should I post a maintenance log or a found it log?

Any thoughts?

Dave - The Gecko's

Play the game how YOU want - it is up to you. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. <_<

Had a similar situation. Nearby cache in need of some maintenance, visited and sorted some of the issues, logged a find, then decided that i'd be happy and able to maintain it so adopted it.

Other point is whether you should log the same cache more than once. I don't think I've done this but if it had moved I would feel fine logging it again.

Here's a slightly different twist on it - I hid a cache for Scaw, she's the owner - should I log it as a find? ;)

Personally I think it's cheating but what do you think? B)

I agree with you - if you hid it you know where it is so can hardly find it, or is that Irish (with apologies to my friends in the Emerald Isle) :D

Here's a slightly different twist on it - I hid a cache for Scaw, she's the owner - should I log it as a find? :o

Personally I think it's cheating but what do you think? :P

I went out to check one of mine today that had had a heath fire burn through the area and it took me 10 minutes to find the thing. Mind you I'm not intending to log it I was just dropping off a White jeep to cheer up Minstrelcat. I would say that given that it's Scaw's cache as long as you allow a couple of others to find it first I don't see what the problem is. In similar circumstances I do one of three things: let the junior member of the team, Boba, do all the navigating so he finds it not me; wait until the other cacher revises the cache in some way; get fed up with people saying you really shoulkd go and find ... and go and drop off a TB and log the find at the same time.

The other day I retired my 'roving' cache, ROVER. The micro which held a log of the box's new location had been muggled and the log lost. So all I knew was that the main box -which had been replaced by a past visitor too- was hidden in a big playing field with lots of possible places. Since I found a box I'd not hidden (or seen) a long way from the place I'd not hidden it, without even co-ords, I felt justified in logging a find when I eventually recovered the final, and very well stocked, box.

I have logged a cache I helped hide, and think this is ok if your name isn't against the cache either as setter, or as a joint setter.

Original post - Logging a cache you've adopted is fine I think. When you first visit it you only have as much info as anyone else doing it - maybe co-ords, and maybe a clue. Seems fair to me :o

Here's a slightly different twist on it - I hid a cache for Scaw, she's the owner - should I log it as a find? :laughing:

Personally I think it's cheating but what do you think? :anicute:

Personaly I would not log a cache I had placed, likewise I don't log coins or TB's that I 'see' at events. :laughing:

Edited by stora

We always assumed that one's own caches could not be logged as finds. Yesterday we found a discrepancy in our written records against those on GC.COM and when we checked back we found that for a maintenance visit to one of our caches we had accidentally clicked "found it" rather than "write note". Then we read this thread...

Plainly, the system permits one to "find" one's own caches!

How about logging a DNF on one of your own caches - I nearly did last year when I failed to find one and put down a replacement, then the original was found by someone else a few days after. ;)

I'm sure Kitty Hawk will be on shortly to vouch for the continuous DNFs he has on one of his own caches, even though everyone else seems to find it easily! Not sure which one it is though.... :D