New Gps Buyer Needs To Know

ftjak

Good Afternoon Everybody,

I am completely new to Geocaching and am going to buy my first GPS unit soon. I have been looking and reading on the internet and do not want to make a mistake in my first purchase and have to return a unit and buy another one because I did not get the one that would suit my needs. I am considering 4 units and they are all Garmin, a Etrex Vista CX, Etrex Vista, Etrex C and an Etrex Summit and I was wondering if anybody had any opionions as to which one might be the best one to purchase. I would like something that is easy to read, able to store maps, has a compass and altimeter, WAAS enabled, waypoint storage and mapping cababilities. Any help as to which unit might be the best and would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you to everybody and you have a great afternoon.

Fat Jack

If you have the money, then get the 'x' version. You will get 1)expandable memory 2) Receiver sensitivity that FAR exceeds any consumer grade gps out there 3) Faster processor for your autorouting

All three of those make this a no brainer if you can pay the price. Remember, you will add in 1) 1gig memory card 50 bucks 2) City navigator 8 115bucks 3) RAM mount 60 bucks 4) Automobile power cord $25?

PS....Looks like #2 is a lie..here's a guy who says he gets the same type of performance from his lowracne.

see this thread

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=139079

I'm considering the Garmain 60cs or csx for my first unit. Anyone have any input on that?

Edited by kb9nvh