How Do I Change My Geocaching Handle?

Doc Geo

By that, yes I do mean my login name. I did it once and changed it back. But now I'm ready to make a permanent change. I can't find the area to do this any more. It seems to me it should be in the "My Account" area, but I see no feature there for changing my login name.

Barry aka Doc Geo

Well, that really sucks.... What if a person has a new "love interest" and they geocache together all the time. It could create some tension that all the finds (representing lots of effort) are credited to one of them instead of both. Or worse yet, what if they have a team name that does represent both of them and then the split up or get divorced? One of them will have to create a new account but the other will be "stuck" with a login/nickname that references the recently departed significant other....

This seems like something that is broken and needs to be fixed....

Barry (aka Doc Geo, Doc Geo & Wife)

Here's where Jeremy announced the changes:

We're working on customizing an application for use with Geocaching.com that will require us to lock down the ability to change your username. As a result on May 15th we will be locking down the username change feature on the web site.

The technical issue relates to a fundimental part of their application that stores usernames in the database outside of the account data. This means that if we did make username changes in our account database it would require a tremendous effort to automatically update the other system with the username change.

Generally sites don't allow name changes like we've been allowing over the last 5 years, so we're moving towards the generally accepted standard for most web sites. It's an unfortunate change but necessary considering the importance of the new features.

For those who just can't live without changing their usernames we'll do our best to come up with some tools to move your information over to a new username. You can already do adoptions to your new account but there is no current way to move other information like bookmark lists, premium memberships, or log entries.

By that, yes I do mean my login name. I did it once and changed it back. But now I'm ready to make a permanent change. I can't find the area to do this any more. It seems to me it should be in the "My Account" area, but I see no feature there for changing my login name.

Barry aka Doc Geo

You'll need one of these:

unclericotimemachine2ua3.jpg

There used to be a way to do it fairly routinely. That method was removed for reasons that I don't recall. But I would be very surprised if it is no longer possible at all. So you might use the regular customer service route via this link: http://support.Groundspeak.com/Support/?group=gsp

Writing Contact@geo caching.com will get you this response.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write. I am sorry but we are unable to make any changes to usernames. You are welcome to create a new name and relog your finds on the new account. If you have any hides, Travel Bug's or Coins you can transfer them to your new account with this link. http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/

It can not be done. Then again most if not all of my other account names with other companys can not be changed either.

Edited by CO Admin

My handle was constructed on the spur of the moment in front of the computer when I was trying to log my first find. I have signed all the paper logs with it since but it doesn't really describe me anymore since I sold my Jeep. But everyone I've met while geocaching knows me by this handle so I keep using it. If you are entering into a union or splitting from one, then it makes since to restart the count at 0. Revisiting the remarkable caches with your significant other could be a nice vacation and a good way to get to know each other. I've been to many spots that could stand to be revisited.

If you are playing the numbers game, make a note in your profile about your previous finds so we can all bow down and worship your score. <_<

What if they have a team name that does represent both of them and then the split up or get divorced?

Bugger... This just happened to me. Now I'm stuck with "The Wildleys", which no longer makes sense, since (i) now there's just one of me, and (ii) the name is a portmanteau created from both our surnames. :D

Wish I'd known about the May 15 deadline a few months ago, because I could have made the change then. I just didn't think this feature would disappear, so I concentrated on the more important parts of separation first. :P

Edited by The Wildleys