How Many Maps Can We Send To A 76csx?

Some of the 128MB is used in formatting of the card. If you take the card out, then you've got zilch, nada, bupkiss. You would need a 512MB card to put in there to replace the 128MB card. The 512MB specification was written when 512MB was the largest size card available. I personally have a 1.0GB card working properly in mine. I see no reason not to get a 2.0GB card when they come out...

Maps go to the card - the card size determines how much you can load. The Garmin stats say up to 512, that assumes you put in a 512 mb card (it would actually be a little less than that because as you've already found out some of the cards memory is used in the formating process.)

Other users have reported being able to use bigger cards 1GB and up.

The 76csx comes with a 128meg micro sd card (the 60csx has a 64meg micro sd card). So if you buy a new micro sd card you can increase your map storage space. The 1g cards are ~35-45$, the 512meg are a little cheaper.

All of the western US + all of the SE US = ~590meg. Prepare yourself for some waiting even with a pretty darn fast cpu as mapsource grinds through the maps to create the img file.

No kidding. Even when I transfer 119mb to my 76CSx, it's a 10-15 min process.

get a card reader, you more than cut that time in half. Some of the transflash cards you buy come with a SD card adapter so it will work in almost any card reader.

Thanks, guys. Let me see if I understand. The SD card replaced the internal memory that the 78CS had. It has no memory available with the card out?

Who has a good price on a 512MB or 1 GB card?

It didn't totally replace the internal memory, theres still some for waypoints and tracks and stuff, but it did replace the internal MAP memory. You can not upload maps without the SD card however you can use all the other features such as tracks, waypoints, routes etc...

I got a 1GB card for my 60CSx on www.pricegrabber.com for $37.50 + $5 shipping. It came within a week and works great <_<

Thanks, guys. Let me see if I understand. The SD card replaced the internal memory that the 78CS had. It has no memory available with the card out?

Who has a good price on a 512MB or 1 GB card?

Ordered a SanDisk micro SD (with adapter) 1 gig from Dell, $46 last night; should be here by the end of the week. Will use it in a 76csx.

get a card reader, you more than cut that time in half. Some of the transflash cards you buy come with a SD card adapter so it will work in almost any card reader.

I haven't tried this yet, but will Mapsource send data to something other than my GPS unit? LOL. Nevermind, I just tried to send it to my Sony Memory Stick. It appeared to work. Awhile ago, I thought about doing something of this nature. The whole map licensing/updating scenerio is almost scandalous that I just thought Garmin wouldn't allow us to do this. In restrospect, I suppose the encrypted map img probably contains my Unit ID number or something of that nature.Thanks for the info.

Edited by Seedillume

Thanks again, but who has a good price on a card reader?

They're PD cheap all over. I got one from newegg for ~$10. You'd like one that is usb2 (if they specify) because its faster. Also many of them will work only when plugged into a powered usb port (ie: on the computer, and often not the ones on monitors or keyboards).