Gpsmap 60CSx Meet 76Cx

Joel**

Great thread! :laughing: I am making the decision between these two units and came here searching for just such a product comparison! This has been big help for me, I'm going for the 60csx model because of what I've read here.

i'm more confused than ever now... lol. i started out wanting a vista cx and then went to looking at the 60csx. i am now considering the 76csx. sheeesh... pretty much i want the same thing... outdoor, geocaching, auto, etc. which fits better in a pocket? any pictures would be good. the pictures with the hands can throw you off... big hands or small hands. which unit would work better for small hands and for big hands? thanks again for this thread.

Edited by bubnme

i'm more confused than ever now... lol. i started out wanting a vista cx and then went to looking at the 60csx. i am now considering the 76csx. sheeesh... pretty much i want the same thing... outdoor, geocaching, auto, etc. which fits better in a pocket? any pictures would be good. the pictures with the hands can throw you off... big hands or small hands. which unit would work better for small hands and for big hands? thanks again for this thread.

FWIW, I recently moved up to the 76csx from a gpsIII+. I've found that the form factor (buttons on top) works pretty well for me. In fact, it's not much difference in usage from the III+, since in 'off road mode' the III+ had the buttons on top.

I've got fairly good size hands, and I find that the unit feels pretty secure sitting in my hand with the buttons on top. Since I have a couple of boats, I really like the fact that the 76csx has the marine stuff loaded on it, and is floatable/water proof. The route planning seems to work pretty well too.

From what I've read, you'd be hard pressed to make a mistake with either unit.

EXACTLY!

This is exactly what I wanted to post!!

I am so confused :D

I have an old etrex. yup, just a yellow etrex, not a legend. It never shows me any closer than 17'. That is the best I have ever been to a cache. so I get to sniff 'em out from there! :D

I have small, female hands, and want the flexability of maybe using it for trips, (my husband NEVER asks for directions..... and doesn't believe that I know where I am going). :D

any other thoughts that you guys have will be very much appreciated!!

As a former 60Cx owner who sold it to get a 76Cx, I'd say that though the 76Cx seems larger, it has a slimmer profile and a more 'regular shape' for easy placement. The rubber armour on the antenna of the 60Cx was prone to abrasion and felt like it was prone to breakage.

The 60Cx(similar form to the 60CSx) in summary feels like you're holding a cell-phone; the rounded profile fits the hands nicely. Button placements are also at the bottom and very much a personal preference.

With the 76Cx, there's no protruding antenna to snag anything on. Although it does not have the stud for the belt clip, there have been many reports of the stud breaking off with the metal insert on the 60Cx exposing the internal electronics to the elements.

The buttons on the 60Cx are also much smaller than the 76Cx.

IMHO, of course.

BR,

w a y

Interesting to hear that others are complaining about their screens...

You might want to consider that the screen brightness issue is just a quality control issue with Garmin and not a problem with any particular model of GPS. I too noticed that my GPSMap60cx screen seemed dull when compared to my son's venture Cx and a friends GPSMap76cs. I've checked out quite a few similar units and the screen brightness varies quite a bit from unit to unit (mine was the worst :huh: ). I sent the image below to Garmin and asked if it was a warranty issue... I have since shipped mine to them and they are in the process of sending me another GPS. It will be interesting to see if the replacement is much of an improvement. The image below is a good indication of the difference in brightness and general colour but the blurriness is caused by my poor photo skills! (Venture Cx on the left GPSMap60Cx on the right)

VentureCx_GPSMap60Cx_screens.jpg

I had a 76C and currently have a 60CSx. I found the 76C to be much more comfortable to operate due to its wider button placement and location above the screen. I have slightly small hands. The rectangular shape of the 76C made it easy to prop up on most dashboards, too.

When I bought an x-series GPS, I went for the 60 body because its smaller size (even accounting for the antenna) made it slightly easier to pack into a small pouch, plus I like having the belt clip, too. When hiking, I leave it clipped to my backpack's shoulder strap. Very convenient. As a safety, I have the lanyard connected to the shoulder strap as well, just in case.

GeoBC

I had a 76C and currently have a 60CSx. I found the 76C to be much more comfortable to operate due to its wider button placement and location above the screen. I have slightly small hands. The rectangular shape of the 76C made it easy to prop up on most dashboards, too.

When I bought an x-series GPS, I went for the 60 body because its smaller size (even accounting for the antenna) made it slightly easier to pack into a small pouch, plus I like having the belt clip, too. When hiking, I leave it clipped to my backpack's shoulder strap. Very convenient. As a safety, I have the lanyard connected to the shoulder strap as well, just in case.

GeoBC

seems like alot on this thread like the 76csx versus the 60csx?

It is a personal choice ONLY. It is important that you go and hold each unit YOURSELF before deciding.

I agree on that 100 percent. One problem is that I can't seem to locate a dealer in my area to see it in person. I will be ordering online so I just wanted feedback. Thanks for yours... :blink:

OK, maybe if you were in Tanzania.... but California..... near Modesto??? I'm quite sure you could if you really wanted to..... :blink:

Lots of money to spend because a few people on the internet said so...

Alot of non Garmin products in stock at the stores. I would have to special order just to hold the units. Just send me your gps unit with a self addressed stamped package so I can send it back after my window shopping... :blink:

Edited by bubnme

I've have really enjoyed this thread.

I just got my new 76csx today, and I've been learning it's features. I had a eTrex Summit before this that got stolen in a home robbery last year.

Wasn't sure that I was too happy with the large size and was thinking that I shoud have gone with the Vista Cx, but now I think that it is the better choice. I can barely hang on to my cell phone, and this seems to fit my hand better. It's very light weight, which is always a consideration when backpacking. The display is good, and it switches to a night mode at sunset, which helps.

The discussion lead me to purchase the Gilsson case for my new GPS. Just completed the order online a few minutes ago.

This post was great. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

The screen brightness issue is interesting. It could just be that the etrex series components are different. I know my 76csx at 100% brightness is about the same as my venture cx at about 20% of it's max setting. The other 60csx and 76csx units I've seen have been about the same with some variation but still none of them come even close to what the venture cx screen brightness is capable of.

However I don't know that this is really an issue. Even the 76csx at half brightness is too bright at night, in full sunlight the color screens are easy to read with no backlight at all. I suppose in those times of the day at dawn dusk the extra bright backlight might come in handy. In addition before I had the venture cx to compare it to, I never though the 76csx needed a brighter backlight. I have a whole list of things I'd like to see garmin fix or add to the 76csx before a screen brightness improvement.

It could also be that the extra unit power is going to the serif chip, or they are trying to improve runtime. Though I would guess their run times are listed without using any backlight at all, so that's probably not the case.

Edited by toddm

EXACTLY!

This is exactly what I wanted to post!!

I am so confused ;)

I have an old etrex. yup, just a yellow etrex, not a legend. It never shows me any closer than 17'. That is the best I have ever been to a cache. so I get to sniff 'em out from there! ;)

I have small, female hands, and want the flexability of maybe using it for trips, (my husband NEVER asks for directions..... and doesn't believe that I know where I am going). B)

any other thoughts that you guys have will be very much appreciated!!

OK I found a dealer in my area after a long search. I actually went in to the store and held each unit. The description posted above about the feel is pretty close about one feeling like a remote and the other like a cell phone. I would like to add that the 76csx feels more like a "large" remote and may not fit in your pocket like the 60csx would. The 60csx seems to feel a little better with my smaller hands but the 76csx wasn't too bad. Overall, both units were nice but I am leaning toward the 60csx as my flavor of the week. I am just waiting for my wallet to open up... ;)

Two points:

What you labeled above as the external power connector on both units is also the serial port. Important if you need to stream NMEA data from the unit.

The LCD on the 60CSx is also recessed. What you see flush mounted with the case is a clear protective shield.

That's interesting. Is that protective cover owner replacable?

97029-14.jpg

According to geocalc, the two GPSr's are showing a distance of being 139.353ft apart from each other.

That's not good, especially since both units appear to be locked to the same birds.

While that is a little bit of a large separation, note that

1: There are only five satellites being used

2: Those satellites are all on one side of the sky

3: Two of the bars on the 76 and four on the 60 are rather weak

This all adds up to a very poor fix, and is probably due to being under what appears to be a concrete roof rather than something in the units themselves. Besides, neither unit is going to be reporting true position and they could be on opposite sides of it from each other, contributing to a large difference without necessarily implying poor acuracy on the part of either unit individually.

We also don't know if both units are using the same datum.

Oh for the love of Pete! Why on Earth would he set one to one datum and the other to another? It would defeat the purpose of doing a side-by-sode comparison wouldn't it? Also I don't understand what people's fetish is about datums. The only reason you ever need to worry about datum is if you're doing specialized work in a datum other than WGS84 - like if you're doing surveying and all your mapping is in NAD27. But other than that, if there's no explicit, compelling reason to go TO NAD27, every single GPS out there will be in WGS84. I'm sick to death of hearing people talk about datum like there's something in it. There's not.

</rant>

Has anyone found a nice protective case for the 76CSx? The only one I have found is the Gilsson R76N, which I am really not impressed with. It's kind of ugly.

I guess this unit is new enought that there really aren't that many choices in cases yet? Wonder why Garmin doesn't make one?

Thanks,

Kevin

AWESOME! Thank you! I have been comparing these two for days now! I finally made the purchase of the 60CSx, only because I prefered to have the controls BELOW the screen. It just seemed that if I was using the buttons, my hand would be in the way of the screen!

Thanks again!

Odd, because I can see the screen on my 76CSx just fine while using the buttons.

Four reasons I chose the 76 series over the 60 series:

1: It floats on water.

2: The case has a more "regular" shape to it.

3: The microSD card is accessible without taking the batteries out.

4: I'm more used to operating a TV remote control than I am operating a mobile phone, so I like the "TV remote control" style of the 76 series better.

But, whatever floats your boat, I guess. (groooaaan)

BTW, comparing the 60CSx to the 76Cx is a bit apples-and-oranges. A fairer comparison would be between the 60CSx and the 76CSx.

Edited by DENelson83

Since the 60CSx (and 76...) has a USB Mass Driver mode, I've never needed to remove the card since I last loaded maps a few years ago. I do swap out batteries a few times a week, though. So taking out the batteries to get to the card every 2 or 3 years (when I update maps), isn't really an issue. With 2GB cards at the sub-$10 price level, no one really needs to swap out cards all the time.

Placing the two units so close to each other is problematic:

• Being that close with same chipset could allow the units to interfere with each other.
  • Also one unit may be blocking signal to the other & as noted, birds were to one side.
  • I would be surprised to see them report the same under these conditions.

Edited by gps_dr

They both have the same chipset, but do they both have the antennas arranged in the same fashion? Specifically, my 60CSx prefers to be faced up so as to point the antenna upwards, but when zero'ing in on a cache the need is to have it flat to see the direction indicators. Given the changed form factor in the 76, does ayone know if it picks up better sitting flat in your hand?

It is my understanding and observation that patch antennas get the best signal parallel to the ground and the Quad Helix needs the top pointing skyward. I have tested this with my GPS 72 (quad helix) and it proves to be true watching the accuracy as I move it around from Up to Flat. If I hike holding the GPS 72 Flat I will lose signal while walking and I am looking for a little harness to keep it up for hands free hiking since I like to tract. What I really need is one of these 2 units.

Good thread for comparing and other info - thank you very much! ALL of you!

Edited by GPS-Hermit