Joel**

Side by Side (60 left / 76 right)

97029-7.jpg

Bottom (60 left / 76 right)

97029-6.jpg

76 on the front, 60 on the back side

One on One (60 over 76)

97029-5.jpg

Bottom side........................................................................................................................Top Side

The 76 has rubber skinned T-shape battery cover which also cover external power port as well.

97029-8.jpg

The 60cx/csx has a Micro SD card slot mobile phone type (hold and fold)

while 76 cx/csx has a push in push out type.

(see white arrow)

97029-9.jpg

Human interface

60 feel like operating a mobile phone,

76 feel like a remote control.

97029-10.jpg

My preference is the 76 as its' buttons are bigger and easier to read.

The 76's LCD display is recessed into the body (more protected?)

while the 60 (on the right) has flush mounted LCD display.

97029-12.jpg

Also, the 60's directional pad has 4 cardinal marks on it while the 76 has none.

(see yellow arrow).

Operational wise, both work wonderfully even under heavy foilage (my kitchen)

(Both has unit software 2.9/2.6)

97029-13.jpg

And on the road...

97029-14.jpg

(and in the car park too).

Enjoy,

Joel

BTW, I've found that a Sony's Play Station Portable (PSP) case can accomodate my 76cx perfectly!!

The case is signal transparent, it maintains sattelites log-on even when it is zipped close.

Batteries change is blissed and also operated with one hand.

PSP Foam case

020xgpsde1.jpg

SONY PSP Neoprene Black Case/Pouch

97029-21.jpg

Cheers,

Joel

Daft question - how does the belt clip work on the 76?

Good Question.

Unlike the 60 which has built-in belt loop screw attachment,

The 76 has only attachment slots for hand strap lanyard.

So, I use either a belt loop on the back of a PSP pouch or

sometime an after market Gilsson pouch which also has a belt loop + starp.

and also give protection against the elements as well.

dscn4453atx0.jpg

But the way, a 76 + gilsson pouch can easily fit in any PDA mount on car dashboard.

The 60 require another arrangement for car mount.

cheers,

Joel

The 76's LCD display is recessed into the body (more protected?)

while the 60 (on the right) has flush mounted LCD display.

97029-12.jpg

Also, the 60's directional pad has 4 cardinal marks on it while the 76 has none.

(see yellow arrow).

Operational wise, both work wonderfully even under heavy foilage (my kitchen)

(Both has unit software 2.9/2.6)

97029-13.jpg

And on the road...

97029-14.jpg

(and in the car park too).

Enjoy,

Joel

Why would the accuracy in the picture above be so different?

Would you say they are the same as they both have the same chip?

What about the difference in helix antena?

Thanks

Thanks

Honestly, I do not know. Both has the same helix antenna.

On the move, some time the 60 show better accuracy, but next turn the 76 win back and vice versa.

I guess the angle of mount, line of sight, unit placement near certain metallic object could play some part.

Overall, both seems to perform equally well.

PS. It would be take the fun away (geocaching game) if they show exactly the same location.

Cheers,

Joel

The funny thing is the 60csx is supposed to be more sensitive due to the SiRF III chipset. :o

Thanks

On the move, some time the 60 show better accuracy, but next turn the 76 win back and vice versa.

I guess the angle of mount, line of sight, unit placement near certain metallic object could play some part.

PS. It would be take the fun away (geocaching game) if they show exactly the same location.

Cheers,

Joel

Both the 60SCx and the 76Cx have the SiRF III chipset.

The funny thing is the 60csx is supposed to be more sensitive due to the SiRF III chipset. :o

Thanks

Cheers,

Joel

Edited by jay11

Looks like 111.2kph Max Speed and an Overall Average Speed of 86.5kph

I kinda like the 76CSx better, because you can easily stick a magnifier on the screen, which is much easier to do than on the 60Cx that I have, also having a square bottom, so it is less likely to fall over.

I see that the pictures were next to a tall building in a large city, and these new GPS units do wonders in these concrete canyons.

i'm not saying that i want you to smash either of these units, but how does durability seem between the two?

i will be taking mine backpacking, geocaching, on the road, off the road, mountain biking, and maybe kayaking.... and i can almost guarntee that it will be "well used" (dropped, kicked, submurged or rained on, maybe run over?)

i like expandibility of the miniSD, and the ability to go between hiking trails and roads. the 60 looks more durable to me, and i'm not set on any particular brand or unit at all

thanks for the help!

-Jim

The 76 has rubber band/belt around it and the LCD display is recessed which is sort of self protected.

The 60's LCD display is too much outward to my liking (I'm a clumsy person).

Anyway I put a protection film on all of my LCD devices.

The 60 battery is easier to change in the field but the 76' micro SD is easier to change/remove.

I'm also find a 76 more stable when place it on my working surface.

6076jt9.jpg

My own 76 float test.

6076bpx3.jpg

Cheer,

Joel

Edited by Joel**

I just bought the 76Csx after owning the eTrex Vista Cx for a few months. I'll admit, I'm disappointed with the GPSMap 76CSx. I have found that accuracy is no better than the eTrex even though the antennas are different and the GPSMap supposedly has a very sensitive antenna.

My biggest complaint though is the LCD screen on the GPSMap 76csx. It is fuzzier and dimmer than the eTrex screen. The eTrex screen is sharp and crisp, while the GPSMap's is somewhat blurred (lower resolution?).

The toggle switch is a poor design which requires more pressure to move than the eTrex toggle.

For $200+ more, it's certainly not worth it.

Craig

I totally agree with the statement about the resolution/lighting! While I was trying out various GPS's I had the opportunity to use both a 76csx and a Venture Cx. The Venture's screen was WAY brighter and seemed to be of a higher resolution than the 76, which is one of the main reasons I decided to take the 76 back and go with the 60csx(which has a brighter screen than the 76, but not quite as bright as the Venture/Vista/Legend C/Cx). Now about the reception.... I have noticed a big difference in reception with the 60 under heavy canopy vs the Venture/Vista/Legend C series. I can even get a 35foot ETE in my two story(bottom floor) apt building built in 1938.

I just bought the 76Csx after owning the eTrex Vista Cx for a few months. I'll admit, I'm disappointed with the GPSMap 76CSx. I have found that accuracy is no better than the eTrex even though the antennas are different and the GPSMap supposedly has a very sensitive antenna.

My biggest complaint though is the LCD screen on the GPSMap 76csx. It is fuzzier and dimmer than the eTrex screen. The eTrex screen is sharp and crisp, while the GPSMap's is somewhat blurred (lower resolution?).

Craig

This is something i will have to watch since I do care about ANY LCD product. In fact I would say that I mostly HATE LCD if it is to be used OUT OF NATIVE RESOLUTION.

Last summer I bought a new 19" CRT because of the fact LCD are only really clear when used in native resolution and with a PC you're not always running it at the same resolution. Same goes for TV, I'm far from buying one (even more than there is the HD story in that).

SO! I really have no idea if every GPS runs it own OS and how the resolution is managed. The eTrex Venture Cx have a natove resolution of 220 x 176 while the GPSMAP 76C(S)x have 240 x 160.

So it could make sens that if the OS was made to run at 220 x 176 and was put on the 76 series that we could see some bluriness.

You can read more about native resolution on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_resolution

I guess I will ba able to see it when I'll go in store and see models in action.

The 60cx I have has the same screen as the 76 series, and is extremely crisp. I can also tell you with 100% certainty that the LCD is not being run at a non-native resolution. Below is a little shot of the screen up close. The only slight blurriness you are seeing is from the camera. Low light, so longer exposure and tired hands :ph34r:

IMG_3659.jpg

As you can see with the text, pixels don't bleed over, and it is very specific as to how it displays characters.

It may have the same screen, but the backlighting is definitely different! As I said I had the pleasure of having both units side by side, and compared to the 60, the 76's screen was definitely not as bright. At least not on the unit I had. And most certainly not as bright or as clear as the Venture Cx! My god the light on the new Vista/Legend/Venture Cx series could blind a person! The resolution seems higher on the V/L/Ven Cx series as well, but that is probably an illusion caused by the smaller screen size. There are pluses and minuses to every GPSr. I personally wouldnt trade my 60csx for any other unit reguardless of the resolution.

The 60cx I have has the same screen as the 76 series, and is extremely crisp. I can also tell you with 100% certainty that the LCD is not being run at a non-native resolution. Below is a little shot of the screen up close. The only slight blurriness you are seeing is from the camera. Low light, so longer exposure and tired hands :D

IMAGE REMOVED

As you can see with the text, pixels don't bleed over, and it is very specific as to how it displays characters.

Edited by Fhantazm

I agree with the above post, the legendC I have has a much better screen resolution and is brighter/more color.

I think that the 60cx has some sort of coating on the screen that makes it seem dull, if I hold the 60cx lower and look down at an angle at it the colors seem to get brighter.

I really wasn't happy with how dull the 60cx screen is compaired ot the legendC, but I guess it really doesnt matter that much. I wouldn't know how bad it is if i had nothing to compare it to.

Edited by hogrod

Also keep in mind the back light intensity is adjustable on both the 60SCx and 76CSx. If you didn't verify the settings, the back light on the 76 may have been turned down to a lower setting.

Personally, I have 76CSx and think the screen clarity and back lighting is great.

That is correct, however this was the first thing i checked when comparing the two. If you havent had a chance to compare the 76 screen against a newer color etrex please do so. Even comparing against a 60csx shows a difference in backlighting. Or at least on the one I had anyways. However the above posts leads me to believe mine wasnt an isloated case. Again im not dogging the 76, as it is a great unit and god knows I love my 60. Im simply agreeing with a difference I and others have noticed comparing the 76csx with other units.

Also keep in mind the back light intensity is adjustable on both the 60SCx and 76CSx. If you didn't verify the settings, the back light on the 76 may have been turned down to a lower setting.

Personally, I have 76CSx and think the screen clarity and back lighting is great.

Edited by Fhantazm

That is correct, however this was the first thing i checked when comparing the two. If you havent had a chance to compare the 76 screen against a newer color etrex please do so. Even comparing against a 60csx shows a difference in backlighting. Or at least on the one I had anyways. However the above posts leads me to believe mine wasnt an isloated case. Again im not dogging the 76, as it is a great unit and god knows I love my 60. Im simply agreeing with a difference I and others have noticed comparing the 76csx with other units.

Agreed, backlighting levels were the first thing I checked also. As for tilting the screen to get a better picture, I noticed that too. If you hold the 60 at a 45 degree or so, the color looks more "colorful" and not so washed out. Also, if you haven't seen the new eTrex screens, you can't appreciate the difference. Ah, ignorance is bliss....

I really am torn at this point. Do I keep the 76CSx or return it and buy the 60CSx? The 60 may have the identical TFT screen as the 76 so the brightness and resolution issues may be the same. Is my eTrex Vista Cx better than both? I know better is a relative term here.

Also, to throw something else into the mix, my 60csx and 3 other 60csx's that I know of had a brighter screen than the 76 for some reason. Same resolution, just brighter.

Agreed, backlighting levels were the first thing I checked also. As for tilting the screen to get a better picture, I noticed that too. If you hold the 60 at a 45 degree or so, the color looks more "colorful" and not so washed out. Also, if you haven't seen the new eTrex screens, you can't appreciate the difference. Ah, ignorance is bliss....

I really am torn at this point. Do I keep the 76CSx or return it and buy the 60CSx? The 60 may have the identical TFT screen as the 76 so the brightness and resolution issues may be the same. Is my eTrex Vista Cx better than both? I know better is a relative term here.

I own a basic 76 and a GPSMAP76s and really like them alot. Saw that the Cx model was coming out and couldn't wait to get it.

Unfortunately, it turns out that Garmin kept the case size the same but downsized the display. To save a buck by using one display for various models i'm sure, but it sucks if ya ask me. The other thing that really turns me off is the way you have to input alphanumeric characters in the Cx. The older models were so simple, just scroll to enter each character. Again, i guess this was probably changed as well to keep costs down. All i know is that Garmin lost a sale from me because of these two things! :mad:

I own a basic 76 and a GPSMAP76s and really like them alot. Saw that the Cx model was coming out and couldn't wait to get it.

Unfortunately, it turns out that Garmin kept the case size the same but downsized the display. To save a buck by using one display for various models i'm sure, but it sucks if ya ask me. The other thing that really turns me off is the way you have to input alphanumeric characters in the Cx. The older models were so simple, just scroll to enter each character. Again, i guess this was probably changed as well to keep costs down. All i know is that Garmin lost a sale from me because of these two things! :mad:

The display is only 1/10th of an inch shorter than the one on the 76. And I think you're the first person I've heard of who prefers the scroll-through-the-whole-alphabet-one-letter-at-a-time system, compared to the much faster "Ouija board" selector.

The display is only 1/10th of an inch shorter than the one on the 76. And I think you're the first person I've heard of who prefers the scroll-through-the-whole-alphabet-one-letter-at-a-time system, compared to the much faster "Ouija board" selector.

Yes i know it's subjective as to what a person prefers. From my standpoint it is so easy to just hold the scroll button down and let it ramp to the character i want. I can do this on the fly, can even look away from the screen for a second or two, and i'm always the first to have the new waypoint in before any of the others i'm caching with even get halfway through. I'm sure i would get used to the alphanumeric input screen but i still wish Garmin would offer the unit with the scroll option.

As far as the screen display,, the smaller size is very noticeable to me. Side by side makes it very apparent and it's easy to see that they had to redesign the case to even get it to fit (made the hole smaller). To me, it almost looks like some kind of homemade retrofit.

I do want a color model though and i might decide to go for it, but for now i'm waiting and hoping to see something else come out that's more to my liking.

Another question?

On my older 76 models, you can input the coordinates and then punch "goto" on the very same screen. On the 60C models, when you input the coordinates manually, it didn't give you the option of doing that. I think you had to input the coordinates, then hit "ok", then go to the find menu and go through a few screens to get to "goto". Do the Cx models, the 76Cx in particular, require all this work? If so, I just don't see how anyone could say that this is a new and improved way of operation.

Another question?

On my older 76 models, you can input the coordinates and then punch "goto" on the very same screen. On the 60C models, when you input the coordinates manually, it didn't give you the option of doing that. I think you had to input the coordinates, then hit "ok", then go to the find menu and go through a few screens to get to "goto". Do the Cx models, the 76Cx in particular, require all this work? If so, I just don't see how anyone could say that this is a new and improved way of operation.

I've found it to not be a big deal. After hitting OK, just double-click Find, then double-click Enter, and off you go. Takes 1 second, at most.

Another question?

I've found it to not be a big deal. After hitting OK, just double-click Find, then double-click Enter, and off you go. Takes 1 second, at most.

Just seems like common sense that the goto option would be available on the input screen. Again, something else i would have to get used to and not too big a deal. Bottom line is performance and i'm thinking that the color screen, the better reception, along with more memory right out of the box would justify the decision to buy.

Sounds like you have the the 76C(s)x and that you really like it. Reception definitely seems to be better on the 60Csx so i'm thinking that the 76Cx's will be better than my older units as well. Did you upgrade from an older 76 model and if so, how does this newer unit compare? Any quirks to report?

Thanks for the info!

They both have the same chipset, but do they both have the antennas arranged in the same fashion? Specifically, my 60CSx prefers to be faced up so as to point the antenna upwards, but when zero'ing in on a cache the need is to have it flat to see the direction indicators. Given the changed form factor in the 76, does ayone know if it picks up better sitting flat in your hand?