No Mails At All From GC

Nepi_und_seine_Bande

You don't need an invite for Gmail, just a cell phone able to receive text messages. They will text you a confirmation code. It only takes a few minutes, and has ended my aggravation with this situation.

I've been an AOL user since 1994. I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever been unhappy with the service. I don't want to switch ISP's. AOL's like a comfy old sweater...I don't need it, but I don't want to give it up either. Also, having a pretty much computer illiterate spouse, switching would totally throw him off if he was faced with a new service. :laughing:

I switched my GC account to Gmail, have all emails forwarded to my AOL account, and everythings working well. Problem solved on my end.

I am suddenly not receiving notifications, even of finds on caches, or Travel Bugs, I own. It was working fine yesterday, but today... nothing. It is a self-run mail server, so there should be no problem with SPAM filters, etc.

There was a problem with the notification engine this morning. Its been resolved and all missed notifications are on their way out.

:laughing: Elias

I spoke too soon. :laughing:

After 10-15 minutes of solid mail delivery, we've been blocked again. It may have been an anomaly since we haven't received confirmation on our whitelist request yet. Until AOL tells us we've been whitelisted, or until the block appears removed again, all AOL email will be placed in a hold queue.

I switched my GC account to Gmail, have all emails forwarded to my AOL account, and everythings working well. Problem solved on my end.

I just did this as well... works like a charm. You can't even tell that the messages are forwarded. :laughing: So what happens to all the old emails that haven't been received yet?

I just did this as well... works like a charm. You can't even tell that the messages are forwarded. :laughing: So what happens to all the old emails that haven't been received yet?

All email to your AOL account is sitting on our mail server awating delivery. Unfortunately, there is no reasonable way to redirect your mail it to another account. It will have to sit there until AOL decides to accept it.

Still no mail of any kind from Geocaching.com. (AOL)

Thought about getting another email account, but from the forum posts, it seems to be happening with almost all email providers.

Hmmmmm??

:laughing:

Almost all....Hotmail has no issues with gc.com. At first they might end up in the 'junk mail' folder but all you have to do is click 'not junk' at they come through from then on. I've been using hotmail with gc.com for 2 and half years now :laughing:

(without problems) :laughing:

Thanks for that info. I, too, use AOL and have not been receiving emails from GC at all. I also have a Gmail account, but I never think to check it. AOL has been our primary for so many years, and I get it really cheap so I don't want to switch.

Sounds like using Gmail and forwarding is the way to go!

Editing to add: thank you to the admins for working on the problem!

Edited by Sevilon

AOL problems may not be totally resolved. . .but I did get some emails this evening when I logged on at about 11:10pm Eastern time. Even as I was reviewing them, another came through. Four emails on logs on my own caches (but I don't think that's all of them) and one Forum topic email.

I'll just take it as progress on the problem. Thanks to Jeremy and Elias for all your help!

I have recieved a few alert mails sporatically (and days late) over the last two weeks or so but MOST of the mails I should be getting from the site (including PQ's) are NOT arriving in my inbox.

I think I'm missing something - you don't have any PQs scheduled. In fact, it looks like the last one we sent you was January 29th. Do you maybe have another account that isn't receiving PQs?

B) Elias

Clarification: I don't actually have any regularly scheduled PQ's. The "run once" PQ's i've generated rarely make it before they're needed so i've been downloading the separate waypoints one at a time from the search preview instead. This is not my bigger concern right now though.

Right now I would really just like to be getting all of my insta-notification emails when somebody logs my caches or my watchlist items etc. I have recieved a few PM emails from other cachers but i'm not sure if they're all making it through. I've been working with a U.S. cacher on an international co-op cache and i'm not sure if he even got the co-ords I sent but I haven't heard back from him in yet, so I can't really say.

Right now i'd just like to be able to rest assured that i'm getting ALL my geo-mails and not just some... :)

I know I have missed caches being published and people logging my caches and watchlist items for awhile.

I still did not get an insta-notify for a local cache that was published several hours ago either. :)

I just created a new email addy with my ISP so I'll switch my account over to that one and see if the mails get to me. I know hotmail pretty well and find it odd that some got through and some didn't...? Maybe MSN switching over to Livemail beta has something to do with it if it's not a problem on the GC end? I'm not a software guy. :D

Since last evening, e-mails from Geocaching.com come through from AOL in several "bursts" of 10 or 20 at a time. For example, a copy of a log I entered on Sunday evening came through at 3:30 Thursday morning as the first of a dozen or so notifications. I also saw this frequently when mail was throttled rather than blacklisted. I can't be subject to the whims of AOL in turning the e-mail faucet on and off as it suits them. Last night I switched my account address to GMail, and every log notice since then has arrived instantly.

Right now i'd just like to be able to rest assured that i'm getting ALL my geo-mails and not just some... B)

I know I have missed caches being published and people logging my caches and watchlist items for awhile.

I still did not get an insta-notify for a local cache that was published several hours ago either. :)

We sent you 5 emails late last night starting at 10 PM Pacific time; what I can't tell is what they specifically are, but they did come from the server that handles the instant notifications. Can you confirm that you received all 5 and that none of them were the published log you're missing?

:) Elias

Right now i'd just like to be able to rest assured that i'm getting ALL my geo-mails and not just some... B)

We sent you 5 emails late last night starting at 10 PM Pacific time; what I can't tell is what they specifically are, but they did come from the server that handles the instant notifications. Can you confirm that you received all 5 and that none of them were the published log you're missing?

B) Elias

I just checked my emails & I haven't yet recieved ANY of the insta-notifies for the new caches that were just published here within my proximity radius. B)

I just sent a message through the site to another cacher & I did get the "copy of email to:" in my inbox.

Thanks for looking into this for me Elias! I just hope it can get fixed real soon, i'm missing out on all the exciting FTF races! :)

I just checked my emails & I haven't yet recieved ANY of the insta-notifies for the new caches that were just published here within my proximity radius. :)

Ok, but did you receive 5 emails from the site between 10 PM and midnight last night (Pacific time)?

:) Elias

OK, I just changed my GC account over to Shaw.

I've set it to forward to my Hotmail account so I should still be getting them at my new Shaw account if for some inexplicable reason they are being blocked from my Hotmail account.

Now we wait... :)

I will also confirm my notify settings to make sure they didn't mysteriously change either...

I just checked my emails & I haven't yet recieved ANY of the insta-notifies for the new caches that were just published here within my proximity radius. :)

Ok, but did you receive 5 emails from the site between 10 PM and midnight last night (Pacific time)?

B) Elias

Nope, nadda, nilch-o :)

I changed my e-mail from aol 7/23/06 to yahoo mail. I started to get email from yahoo the next day.

Today I received e-mail dated 7/27/06 in both of the accounts. I turned off the aol account at gc. I don't understand. I didn't forward my mail from yahoo to aol. There were not any e-mails that were the same.

I don't want to check (2) accounts to see my e-mails. :)

And when the mail does come through it's delayed anyway, so that would explain why I received a insta-notify in my AOL account today. I changed to my GMail account last Friday.

A cache that was published on Sunday, July 23 - and I received the e-mail insta-notify today (Thursday, July 27) at 1:35 p.m.

But AOL is crafty - they don't show on their standard headers when the e-mail was SENT, but rather when they DELIVERED it. So it makes it look like Geocaching.com didn't send it until today, when in reality AOL didn't DELIVER it until today.

Anybody got some free FTP space. I think I'm ready to kill off my AOL account completely and move my website.

I filled out a survey from AOL this morning and rated most of them "poor". A couple hours later, I cannot login??? Coincidence? Perhaps. Darn well better be. If not, goodbye AOL. Even if so, that's another foul ball.

Sent in my AOL questionaire about the service and support i received as well. I marked some poors on it for sure but i'm still able to log on with no problems. To be honest, i figured they never even read them things! :D

On topic,, emails are coming through on AOL now. I have a test query scheduled for a few days per week and i did receive the one scheduled for today. Gonna still use my other email account for the important stuff until i think the problem is totally resolved.

OK, I am now getting insta-notifies to my Shaw account. I have set them to auto forward to my Hotmail account to see if they get through but it takes about 24hrs to take effect so i'm still waiting to see if I get them now...

I require Hotmail to recieve these mails because I have configured MSN mobile to send an SMS alert to my cellphone whenever a new cache is published in my search area or any other triggered event happens with my caches or watchlist entries. I've added "noreplyatgeocachingdotcom" to my list of accepted mailing list addy's in case that helps. Hopefully the latency delay with the extra step in getting my insta-notify alerts will not cost me any FTF's if I can't get them to deliver directly to Hotmail anymore. :D

Thanks again for looking into this for me Elias!

I'll check back in awhile with any developments.

Sent in my AOL questionaire about the service and support i received as well. I marked some poors on it for sure but i'm still able to log on with no problems. To be honest, i figured they never even read them things! :blink:

On topic,, emails are coming through on AOL now. I have a test query scheduled for a few days per week and i did receive the one scheduled for today. Gonna still use my other email account for the important stuff until i think the problem is totally resolved.

That must mean that my finds Pocket Query that I ran on Sunday got deleted by gc.com when they said that it was waiting to be sent to me. If everyone has gotten their stuff that means there's a problem with the website here where it is not sending my find pocket query.

Edited by sawblade5

After further delving, it appears that one of my previous emails from the insta-notify system was erroneously marked as junk mail be me somehow. B)

With Hotmail, the "delete" and "report as junk & delete" buttons above messages are right next to each other, so I surmise that I may have accidentally and unkowingly clicked the wrong one when deleting an alert after reading it. :P

There definately were some problems with other emails awhile ago but all seems to be OK now.

Time to whip out the plastic for one more year of preemo. :blink:

After further delving, it appears that one of my previous emails from the insta-notify system was erroneously marked as junk mail be me somehow. :blink:

With Hotmail, the "delete" and "report as junk & delete" buttons above messages are right next to each other, so I surmise that I may have accidentally and unkowingly clicked the wrong one when deleting an alert after reading it. :P

So, I guess when hotmail starts blacklisting GC.com, they'll know who to blame. B)

The mail fiasco continues on AOL. After getting no geomail whatsoever for a few days, now I am getting mail that was generated a week ago with tons of duplications.

Similar weirdness here, I'm on AOL and just now (Saturday the 29th, 3pm ET) I got the email for a maintenance log I posted on Sunday the 23rd :unsure:

I am having the same issues y'all are with AOL - no emails at all from GC.com last two weeks maybe and then this week they have been coming sporadically, in bursts, some duplicate. I have just been checking My Account at gc.com when I log in to see the action at my caches/TBs........guess I should change email providers.......

The mail fiasco continues on AOL. After getting no geomail whatsoever for a few days, now I am getting mail that was generated a week ago with tons of duplications.

Similar weirdness here, I'm on AOL and just now (Saturday the 29th, 3pm ET) I got the email for a maintenance log I posted on Sunday the 23rd <_<

I just received 4 emails within an hour. 1 owner from 7 days ago, 2 watchlists (today and 5 days ago), and a published from 2 days ago. the watchlists could have been posted at any point, but I posted the owner on the Tb last Sunday, and keystone approved a cache on Thursday that I just got. No rhyme or reason here.

That must mean that my finds Pocket Query that I ran on Sunday got deleted by gc.com when they said that it was waiting to be sent to me. If everyone has gotten their stuff that means there's a problem with the website here where it is not sending my find pocket query.

Not necessarily. While for the most part our mail server retries email in the order it received them, AOL is not accepting them in any order. AOL only releases the block for short periods of time, so the only mail that gets through is just what our server happens to be trying at that time. So there's no particular order in which the backlogged emails get delivered. Its certainly possible that your PQ is still in queue.

There are still a ton of emails in queue for AOL. With all the new mail being added to the queue, the total backlog of email to AOL has only decreased by about 25% in the last week.

<_< Elias

I'm gonna try something. Whenever I get legitimate emails from AOL (not the million phishing spammers), I'm going to read it and then mark it as spam. Maybe they'll blacklist themselves.

I've done this with hotmail but it hasn't worked yet <_<

Similar weirdness here, I'm on AOL and just now (Saturday the 29th, 3pm ET) I got the email for a maintenance log I posted on Sunday the 23rd <_<

I just received 4 emails within an hour. 1 owner from 7 days ago, 2 watchlists (today and 5 days ago), and a published from 2 days ago. the watchlists could have been posted at any point, but I posted the owner on the Tb last Sunday, and keystone approved a cache on Thursday that I just got. No rhyme or reason here.

Someone should contact a chaos theorist about this phenomena, I am sure a whole thesis could be developed on it. The weirdness continues, old logs and dups. I can't get the mail I want but continue to get mail from address I have marked as "spam".

<snip>

I still don't understand why anyone would tolerate an Internet provider that decides for you what sites you can see or receive mail from. :rolleyes:

Because it isn't part of the core services. In the begining, AOL wasn't an ISP. Originally called Q-link, AOL is a very large and very feature full BBS. Things like web browsing and E-mail are add-ons that happened in the early 90's when "the Internet" because popular and AOL started losing some users. The one thing that AOL does very well is user friendliness. People who would be lost on the BBSes of the time where very much at home on AOL. AOL brings the same level of user friendliness to it's web browsing and E-mail add-ons. You don't need to know anyhting about E-mail viruses, SPAM folders, or phishing to be protected when using AOL's E-mail ad-on. However this convenience, like most, doesn't come without a price. With AOL you are very protected from the "bad stuff" on the internet and sometimes the good stuff gets blocked too.

Finally talked to someone at AOL that was not automated.

Did GC.com set up the Feedback Loop to get themselves whitelisted?

It's actually an interesting read on that page as to why GC.com is blacklisted.

I was also voluntarily given an actual street address to snail-mail my complaints to...

Like I've said before it is AOL users who are blacklisting GC.com. Either someone who stopped using GC.com and is marking GC.com notifications as spam or someone who is sharing an AOL e-mail address and the other user is marking GC.com emails as spam.

I wonder if this AOL Feedback System can be set up that so that if GC.com gets a Feedback from AOL then GC.com will automatically block all future email to that AOL email address. That way all AOL users arn't punished because a few AOL users.

If that can't be done then I have another idea. Make anyone that lists their email address as AOL have to validate their email address on a weekly basis. If validation fails that email address is removed from their profile.

Haven't read this whole thread. I am using AOL and I'm getting my notices but sometimes it's several days later.

Here is an example. This was logged on 7/21/06 and I just recieved the e-mail notice today 7/30/06

This is an automated message from Geocaching

You are receiving this email because you are the owner of this listing.

Eric K retrieved Eric K's Personal Travel Bug (Travel Bug Dog Tag) from Spearfish Falls at 7/21/2006

Log Date: 7/21/2006

pick up

Visit this log entry at the below address:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?L...17-da5fc079bece

Visit Eric K's Personal Travel Bug

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...5d-e161e320a5e8

Profile for Eric K:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=e7...a9-c5df8dd86096

Spearfish Falls

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...05-acaaac7c8efd

Edited by Eric K