No Mails At All From GC

Nepi_und_seine_Bande

Hoorray!

We just got an email on AOL alerting us that a cache on our watchlist has been found!

It was sent at 1801 today and we got it at 1925. Hope it keeps up :o Whatever Jeremy said to AOL must have helped :(

Thanks again

Sigh! Still nothing from GC on my AOL account. :)

Spam wasn't sent out via Geocaching.com's servers. AOL occasionally throttles our email. Yes, we've contacted him but it never turns out to be as easy as a phone call. Never fear, your emails are nice and toasty in the queue waiting to be delivered to your AOL in-box.

It never ceases to amaze me how AOL causes a problem but relies on us to contact them instead of trusting their own users to resolve the issue.

Thanks Jeremy, for your prompt attention to this problem. I am sure this will be resolved soon.

Until then, I have a few caches to find... :(

Well, I for one don't use AOL -- at least, no willingly.

Years ago I had the choice of using AOL or not, and I decided NOT. I signed up for Netscape mail. I have (note the past tense) been happy with my Netscape mail account.

Then a while back I heard that AOL had bought Netscape. I could only hope that this wouldn't turn out the way it seems that most CA purchases go -- which is down.

Then I found out that a fellow geocacher, who wasn't responding to my e-mails, said that he wasn't getting any e-mail from me. That's strange. I decided to send it from the geocaching.com web site, but without passing my e-mail address in the mail. *That* mail got through. This user had an AOL.com address, and he found several messages from me in his spam (or whatever it's called) folder. I then realized that mail sent from Netscape.net addresses to folks with AOL.com mail addresses would be automatically put into the spam folder. How odd -- especially since AOL *bought* Netscape.

It wasn't until much later that I found that the reverse was true, too! I didn't know that I had a spam folder, but I found mail from AOL.com addresses placed there. It looked to me like an internal war between the AOL employees and the Netscape employees. (Yeah? Well, if you're going to block mail from us, why we'll block mail from you. So there! Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!)

Now on Monday, 17 July 2006, I received an e-mail from NetscapeMail@support.netscape.com telling me that they were pleased to inform me that as of August 19, 2006 my Netscape Mail account would be "upgraded to the AIM® Mail service*." Oh, joy. I can hardly wait. :(

They already "upgraded" me to a "new and improved" user interface that is far slower and more cumbersome than the old interface. Shades of wintel! Maybe if I buy a new suprtfast system with mega-gigabytes of ram and a blazingly fast frontside bus I'll be able to see my e-mail messages as fast as I used to be able to with the old non-feature-rich interface. It always amazes me that a single user needs what used to be a super computer in order to read mail!

Somehow the marketplace doesn't always work the way one hopes it will.

In any case, I noticed a lack of e-mail last Friday. Since then I've received maybe 20 e-mail messages, as opposed to my expected 300+ messages. (I was out of town the week before, and had 700 new messages in those days.) While writing this mail I've received one watchlist mail about someone who found a cache yesterday.

Jeremy,

If you need the AOL postmaster Phone Number feel free to call the postmaster hotline 1-888-212-5537. And that's per the person I SPOKE with.

FYI - no email coming through yet.

Joe

I just ran a PQ. In my mail box with-in a minute. I'm a Netscape user which is a subsidary of AOL.

I'm just wondering, last week we had record numbers of GUEST's on the forums. I think around 2000 or so. Just wonder if we where attacked by hackers and they were using GCs domain to send out a ton of spam. It seems that is what AOL is saying the reason for blocking GCs mail.

Any other thoughts on this?

Spam wasn't sent out via Geocaching.com's servers. AOL occasionally throttles our email. Yes, we've contacted him but it never turns out to be as easy as a phone call. Never fear, your emails are nice and toasty in the queue waiting to be delivered to your AOL in-box.

It never ceases to amaze me how AOL causes a problem but relies on us to contact them instead of trusting their own users to resolve the issue.

Add me to the list. I submitted my weekly my-finds and it still hasn't arrived in a couple hours (it usually is minutes). I'll try to add to the ping to AOL.

Let's not get into AOL bashing. I have used MANY different Internet services over the past 13 years and still stick with AOL. I know all the arguments for and against. But, I put my money where it gives me the best payback. Cases like this are rare, but still annoying.

It's not just AOL. I use hotmail and have made no changes to my mail filters yet I am not getting mails either.

Everything was working fine up until about the same time the latest "patch" was executed.

I have recieved a few alert mails sporatically (and days late) over the last two weeks or so but MOST of the mails I should be getting from the site (including PQ's) are NOT arriving in my inbox.

If hotmail blocks a message that you haven't specified the email addy of in your block sender list then it will always go to your junk folder first so you can see it. I am convinced this problem is NOT on the user or ISP side.

All this and now my membership is coming due soon. :unsure:

I have recieved a few alert mails sporatically (and days late) over the last two weeks or so but MOST of the mails I should be getting from the site (including PQ's) are NOT arriving in my inbox.

I think I'm missing something - you don't have any PQs scheduled. In fact, it looks like the last one we sent you was January 29th. Do you maybe have another account that isn't receiving PQs?

:unsure: Elias

Switched things over from AIM to GMAIL and now get some things.

Still have NOT seen a PQ in days! Just ran a couple a few minutes ago and will hope. This is more then a AOL problem folks. Some of my daily PQ's have not been run in DAYS! :unsure:

All domains hosted by AOL are affected. There are others, but the major ones are:

aol.com

netscape.net

cs.com

wmconnect.com

aim.com

Now that you've switched to Gmail, you should start receiving any new emails and PQs.

:blink: Elias

The details are going to be interesting when they finally tease this out . . . :unsure:

Other than a few late "Insta-notifiys" more than a week ago, I haven't had any problem getting emails for logs on caches I own, caches on my Bookmark List or Watchlists, or emails from other users.

A PQ I requested a little while ago ran promptly and arrived a couple of minutes later.

The emails come through my ISP. :blink:

Jeremy,

If you need the AOL postmaster Phone Number feel free to call the postmaster hotline 1-888-212-5537. And that's per the person I SPOKE with.

We did this yesterday. Ask them about case # 169097610; I spoke with Mildred.

Keep in mind that while we've requested to be whitelisted, AOL is under no obligation to do so. AOL is not required to accept our mail, and if they choose not to, there's nothing we can do about that.

We're in a holding pattern until AOL decides to accept our mail again.

Thanks Elias for the responses!

Now can you educate me why a PQ of mine named "New!" that is set up to be run DAILY has not been generated since 7/19/2006 8:27:32 PM??? :unsure:

Just asking!

Make six copies of that "New!" PQ and name them "New! - Monday,"New! - Tuesday," "New! - Wednesday," etc.

Now have the PQ run on its day. PQs that are several days old seem to always run pormptly . . . mine do. :blink:

Jeremy,

We did this yesterday. Ask them about case # 169097610; I spoke with Mildred.

Keep in mind that while we've requested to be whitelisted, AOL is under no obligation to do so. AOL is not required to accept our mail, and if they choose not to, there's nothing we can do about that.

We're in a holding pattern until AOL decides to accept our mail again.

I just talked to an AOL postmaster representative and he told me that geocaching.com was being "rate limited" because there were complaints of spam being sent. No expert here but i figure this could be from ex-geocachers who set up accounts and email preferences and never changed them. Anyways,,,, the rep's name is Randy and he did say that Geocaching.com needs to set up a "feedback loop" with AOL to fix the problem.

Again, i'm no expert and i certainly don't even know what this is. I just wanted to pass this along to make sure all bases are covered so that we can get this problem resolved.

According to what I remember Fred Langa saying in his "LangaList." it doesn't take much to get a site blacklisted on AOL. Could some disgruntled people have done this to GC.com? :(

I still don't understand why anyone would tolerate an Internet provider that decides for you what sites you can see or receive mail from. :unsure:

According to what I remember Fred Langa saying in his "LangaList." it doesn't take much to get a site blacklisted on AOL. Could some disgruntled people have done this to GC.com? :(

I still don't understand why anyone would tolerate an Internet provider that decides for you what sites you can see or receive mail from. :unsure:

Again, i know not much about any of this but i would say that it's a sure bet that AOL didn't arbitrarily do this. Something triggered it. I've never had a problem seeing any site that i wanted to and this is the first email problem i've ever had, at least to my knowledge.

AOL account here, no notify, published, owner, watchlist, or bookmark emails. Nothing! Unfortunately, AOL is the only email host that my office allows us to view from the network so changing my email notification account really isn't the greatest option. I really hope this clears up soon I miss the 10-15 emails a day!

I wasn't able to receive any Pocket Queries last weekend..... then I got ONE of the five I requested. no others showed up. Today I tried again (AOL user)-- no luck.... Now I have tried to have the PQ sent to an alternate email account.. (Yahoo)- so far nothing there either. this sucks.

I switched it over to my HotMail account and it worked right away.

Of course, now I cannot even switch back to my AOL because it requires the validation, which AOL is blocking.

I have tried several phone numbers, which led nowhere. I did the online chat with a tech. After 20 minutes of wasted time, got referred to the postmaster (duh!).

Okay, I'm thinking about abandoning AOL, now, too. Been 11 years of good stuff, but their email the last six months has been very annoying. I can image what happened to their "internal" support and such. Grrr.

Add "GivenRandy" to the list when you contact AOL. They merely have the below stuff:

---

AOL Member Tutorial

If you are missing email that is coming from an address outside of AOL the following information will help you to troubleshoot and fix the problem.

Check your Spam Folder.

If you are using AOL 6.0 or above, check for the e-mail in your Spam Folder. If you have previously marked the email as spam or if the email contains certain characteristics, the email may be delivered to your Spam Folder instead of your inbox. You can access the Spam Folder in your mailbox with AOL 9.0 and above, using AOL Mail on the Web, or using Keyword: Spam Folder (AOL versions 6.0 and above).

Add the incoming email address to your address book.

If the email is being delivered to your Spam Folder, you can add the incoming email address to your address book. The mail will then be delivered to your inbox.

Still missing mail?

If none of the above steps resolved your problem please have the owner of the sending email contact their system administrator or internet service provider. The system administrator or ISP can Contact America Online.

===============

Contact Information

The AOL Postmaster department can be reached by phone toll free at: +1.888.212.5537. This number is live 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you have comments or problems with the website, please send your mail to postmaster@aol.com.

Here are some other useful AOL contacts:

AOL US Postmaster(local): 1-703-265-4670

AOL France: 0892 02 03 04

AOL Germany: 0 1805 313164

AOL UK: 0870 320 2020

AOL Puerto Rico: +1.888.265.1111

AOL en Español (Estadas Unitas soledad): +1.800.771.7084

All other countries: +1.703.264.1184 (This is a toll call.)

General AOL Support: +1.800.827.6364

AOL Broadband Support: +1.888.849.3200

AOL for Windows Support: +1.800.827.3338

AOL for Macintosh Support: +1.888.265.8007

AOL Support by TTY: +1.800.759.3323

For more information on AOL's support resources, please visit AOL's support page.

We hope that this site will be useful to you. Please feel free to e-mail us if you have any questions or comments about this page.

E-mail form letter to postmaster@aol.com.

Hello AOL postmaster,

I'm not getting my emails from Groundspeak and it appears to be an AOL issue. This has been going on for at least two days now. There is a discussion on this at the forum with all of the details: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...139016&st=0

Can you please help to resolve this? Please advise.

Thanks,

XXXXX

I don't know that it helps to give AOL a link to this forum thread. You see, you need to be a member in order to view the Geocaching.com forum. So, the postmaster at AOL would need to sign up for an account. Which he cannot do, because he has blocked the validation e-mail. :lol::P:laughing:

<=== AOL customer since 1993; in the process of switching to GMail and thinking of dropping AOL altogether.

I created a Gmail account and am having my Geocaching emails forwarded to my AOL account. I am forwarding the "noreply" and "contact" addresses. Can someone send me an email through my Geocaching profile so that I can see what happens?

Also, can my all-finds GPX be re-generated? I don't want to have to wait another week. :laughing:

p.s., if anyone needs an invite to Gmail, just send an email to me. :lol:

Gmail has been working really well for us. No drops, no lags, nothing. And I can forward it to my work email so I get everything immediately even if I'm not logged on. I've got about 60 invites if anyone wants one, contact me through my profile's email address (NOT PM please!)

-Jen

I see that we are all having the same issues...I also have not received any PQs since the 19th, even though they are "generated". I have Walmart's cheapie ISP service, but it was a generic AOL, now it is Netscape. I have had it a long time, but I am now really hateful of it...every time I have ever had to call (I believe someone already called it "Customer No-Service") for assitance, I get someone with a thick middle-eastern accent who says him name is "Fred" or Bob", and the call is so hard to hear already...it is like trying to speak to my (bless her resting in peace heart) mostly deaf Grandmother - everyone in the next county can hear my conversation!

I will change over to Yahoo I guess...

Still no mail of any kind from Geocaching.com. (AOL)

Thought about getting another email account, but from the forum posts, it seems to be happening with almost all email providers.

Hmmmmm??

:laughing:

I have not had any problems receiving my mail or PQs through my ISP which only costs $9.95 a month. For that price I get server space for my own web site, and, if I wanted them, I could have 100 email addresses. . . bigeyes.gif

:lol:

Grrr! Now, I find out that I missed a cache published two days ago that I had been watching for a week -- or so I thought! Besides a possible FTF, I wanted to snatch the geocoin there. But, it kept saying to wait until it was published. And it was published, but I didn't get the email. Stirring up the monster....

p.s., it was AOL's fault.

Edited by BirdManOfCT

Grrr! Now, I find out that I missed a cache published two days ago that I had been watching for a week -- or so I thought! Besides a possible FTF, I wanted to snatch the geocoin there. But, it kept saying to wait until it was published. And it was published, but I didn't get the email. Stirring up the monster....

p.s., it was AOL's fault.

So this won't happen to you again, set up a PQ for Unfound caches. Then, Preview that PQ and Bookmark the page, or keep it open in your tabbed browser.

Refresh the page as necessary until the caches shows up. :laughing:

Did Jeremy have any luck with his inquiries at AOL........i

You make a request. You wait. That is the extent of feedback from AOL. Their email makes it seem like if we just give them a call they flip a switch and POOF! All the emails start flowing in. This isn't the case - but it's a nice way to put the blame on us for your lack of receipt of your emails.

I havent got AOl and I still get no emails from GC. I am using a Virgin account. So its not just an AOL problem

We're not experiencing any issues with email other than AOL. So far today, we've sent 19 emails to your Virgin account and all 19 were delivered successfully. I'll send you a PM with the log entries so you can follow up with them on this issue.

:laughing: Elias

E-mail form letter to postmaster@aol.com.

Hello AOL postmaster,

I'm not getting my emails from Groundspeak and it appears to be an AOL issue. This has been going on for at least two days now. There is a discussion on this at the forum with all of the details: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...139016&st=0

Can you please help to resolve this? Please advise.

Thanks,

XXXXX

Thanks for letter -- I'm going to email the AOL Postmaster too, with slight modifications, for all the good it might do. I haven't been receiving emails for at least a week or two.

Thank you to most of you for NOT bashing AOL. This is a country of choices, and it's the choice for many us to choose AOL, whatever our reasons.

I am suddenly not receiving notifications, even of finds on caches, or Travel Bugs, I own. It was working fine yesterday, but today... nothing. It is a self-run mail server, so there should be no problem with SPAM filters, etc.

Finally talked to someone at AOL that was not automated.

Did GC.com set up the Feedback Loop to get themselves whitelisted?

It's actually an interesting read on that page as to why GC.com is blacklisted.

I was also voluntarily given an actual street address to snail-mail my complaints to...

Edited by Markwell