No Mails At All From GC

Nepi_und_seine_Bande

Hi @ll!

I'm not receiving any mails from GC for about 2 days. I talked to another guy and he has the same problem.

I checked my PQ's and saw that they run today, but I have not received the mail.

Some caches where found which are on my watchlist, but no mail received :anitongue: . Some others where found and the mail was really late.

Anyone else the same problems? What can I do? :rolleyes:

Thx

Nepi_und_Seine_Bande

Edited by Nepi_und_seine_Bande

Apparently there are several people that are experiencing this problem. I have AOL and have never had any problems before Friday.

There is another thread about PQ's that is referencing the same problem. They suggested running new PQ's but this made no difference. The system shows they have been generated but they never arrive.

421 SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE

That makes it their problem not and of the senders. This email is from my Yahoo account and AOL has not been able to deliver it in almost 2 days. It is an AOL problem.

I got this, this morning from them

The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:

*****@aol.com

Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:

host mailin-03.mx.aol.com [205.188.159.57]: 421-:

(DYN:T1) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/421dynt1.html

That makes it their problem not any of the senders. This email is from my Yahoo accont and AOL has not been able to deliver it in almost 2 days. have had 5 bounce 3 from my Yahoo and 2 from my MSN accounts in the last 2 days.

Edited by CO Admin

After changing my main account address to my Gmail account instead of AOL, I started receiving notifications. There were still some that came through to my AOL - which means that they were delayed.

I strongly believe this is an AOL throttling problem. It has happened before.

this is a copy of what the AOL help said:

3:43:49 PMAOLTechJYAIf all AOL members are not getting email from a specific domain name, the AOL Postmaster might received a lot compliants from internet users and members about this domain name and the AOL Postmater might blocked it.

3:44:28 PMYouis there anyway for you to check that

3:45:09 PMAOLTechJYAYou can contact our AOL Postmaster to verify this.

3:45:09 PMAOLTechJYALet me send the information about the AOL Postmaster.

3:45:20 PMYouokay thanks

3:45:30 PMAOLTechJYAThe primary mission of the AOL Postmaster department is to service requests sent by Mail Exchange administrators from other Internet Service Providers. They also offer assistance about sending mail into the AOL© domain.

3:45:49 PMAOLTechJYAThe AOL© Postmaster Website offers resources that can provide some assistance. Please review the information below for more help.

This was the conversation I just had with AOL regarding the email problem. I have not received any GC mail since Friday. They finally acknowledged that GC has been blocked from aol servers. They suggested that Grounspeak call their postmaster team to work out the issue. I have never had this problem before and I hope it is resolved. I am getting ready for a geocaching vacation and just got all my pocket queries set <_<

Will Groundspeak see this from here or where can I send this?

4:02:24 PMSystemWelcome Dave ...

4:02:24 PMSystemConnecting to server. Please wait...

4:02:24 PMSystemConnected to wnaad01o.ops.aol.com

4:02:43 PMSystemAOLTechSDH has joined this session!

4:02:43 PMSystemConnected with AOLTechSDH

4:02:43 PMSystemHello, Dave. Welcome to Live Technical Support. My name is Sherwin.

4:02:43 PMSystemDave stated the question or problem as: 2nd attempt to get help after help person closed session without finishing.

4:02:43 PMSystemAre you signed on with the same computer that you need assistance with?

4:02:56 PMYouyes

4:03:13 PMAOLTechSDHNice to meet you, Dave. : )

4:03:29 PMYouyou to

4:03:33 PMAOLTechSDHI'm very sorry for the inconvenience, but it appears the previous consultant lost connection to your conversation. Unfortunately, I don't know what you were discussing. Can you please give me a summary?

4:03:42 PMYouMelanie bailed on me in the middle of things

4:04:12 PMYouIf I could paste in this window I could bring you up to speed

4:04:31 PMYounot receiving outside email

4:04:52 PMYoumany people are having the same problem from a site I am expecting email from

4:05:09 PMYouit has been described as a throttling issue on aol's part

4:05:20 PMYouNone of my settings have been changed

4:05:31 PMYouall of my spam filters are off

4:06:14 PMYouspam filter was set to permanetly delete, as it has always been

4:06:24 PMAOLTechSDHAOL may have received large amounts of junk e-mail from someone using this domain name. Please ask the sender of the e-mail to ask their system administrator or Internet Service Provider to call the AOL® Postmaster Hotline at 1-888-212-5537.

4:06:24 PMAOLTechSDHThe Postmaster Team, which is available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, can work with the ISP to quickly resolve the issue. Additional information is available at the AOL Postmaster Web Site: http://postmaster.info.aol.com/

4:07:34 PMYouthis is a stable site, geocaching.com

4:08:49 PMYouI am getting ready to leave on vaction and receiving email from this site is part of my vacation activities

4:08:59 PMYouI need to know that it is working

4:09:31 PMYou?

4:09:55 PMAOLTechSDHWhen was the last time you received an Email from them?

4:10:02 PMYouFriday

4:10:55 PMAOLTechSDHThank you. Dave, please ask the geocaching.com Support Team to call the number I gave you above.

4:11:15 PMAOLTechSDHLet me also file a problem report for you about this.

4:11:45 PMYouMelanie said something about my blocked spam filter being full and needing to be cleared

4:12:17 PMYouI don't have any spam in my folder and bloced mail was being deleted, what needs to be cleared?

4:13:16 PMAOLTechSDHI understand, this means that their Email was being blocked on our server and not in your Mail Control.

4:13:46 PMAOLTechSDHOur Postmaster Team will be able to allow their Email from being sent to our server.

4:15:10 PMYouOkay, so you are familiar with this issue being reported from other then? Is that correct?

4:16:17 PMYouWhy would there be a change that would suddenly block outside email?

4:16:56 PMAOLTechSDHIt is possible that some AOL members who received an Email from that web site have reported the EMail as a Spam.

4:17:17 PMAOLTechSDHThis is the reason why our Postmaster Team have blocked the Email coming from their web site.

4:17:18 PMYouI doubt that, we are all members

4:17:37 PMAOLTechSDHPlease ask them to call the numbers I gave you above to resolve this problem.

4:17:39 PMYouand we are talking about thousands of people

4:17:56 PMYouI am just trying to understand this

4:18:37 PMAOLTechSDHYes, AOL have detected that their web site have sent too much Email to the AOL Email Server.

4:19:07 PMAOLTechSDHOnly Postmasters on AOL and their web site can resolve this problem.

4:19:17 PMAOLTechSDHYou can give them the number I gave you above to resolve this problem.

4:20:18 PMAOLTechSDHAgain, I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. I appreciate your patience and your desire to get this matter resolved.

4:21:00 PMYouCan I get account credit?

4:21:58 PMAOLTechSDHI am sorry Dave, we will not be able to give a credit about this issue.

4:22:08 PMAOLTechSDHTo speak to an AOL® Customer Care Consultant about your account, please call toll-free 1-888-265-8003. Our Member Account Services Consultants are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

4:23:13 PMYouThank you

4:23:19 PMAOLTechSDHThank you for visiting AOL® Live Help.

4:23:19 PMSystemAOLTechSDH has left this session!

4:23:19 PMSystemThe session has ended!

I have been waiting for PQ's to come through and I travel/move locations every 4-5 days and I need to do to PQ's. 4-5 days can make a big difference when doing one. There are ones that get archived, made unavailable, or even new ones come up. A real drag and you are not even guarenteed to get them now. This is not good. AOL may get a rush of people changing services.

Vintage AOL - set thier own rules. One of the domains I admin on a server once got blocked by AOL for 2 days for "sending too many emails". When I checked the logs I found 25 emails to AOL users in one hour. Guess that was too much for them. Sigh.

Another site that I belong to that also sends notifications is being blocked by AOL. It turned out that when some AOL users stopped using the site, but continued to receive the email notifications, they would call AOL to complain. Then AOL would block all email from that site to all AOL users, not just the ones that were too stupid to log on to the site and turn off the notification feature. The webmater used to call and get the emails unblocked. But when that started taking too much of his time he just added a disclamer that stated AOL blocks emails from certain sites and recommends that they use a different email host.

<_< Sorry to ask this question, but why does anyone still use AOL?

My ISP only costs $9.99/month and I don't have any problem receiving any of my mail through either of my two email addresses I have through them. :(

AOL is more than an ISP. If you use AOLs other features I can understand. What I don't understand are the people who only use AOL as portal to the internet.

:rolleyes: Sorry to ask this question, but why does anyone still use AOL?

My ISP only costs $9.99/month and I don't have any problem receiving any of my mail through either of my two email addresses I have through them. :)

AOL is more than an ISP. If you use AOLs other features I can understand. What I don't understand are the people who only use AOL as portal to the internet.

I have been on AOL for about 10 years now and don't want to change to another service. I've contacted aol and the representative didn't have any details but did say that aol may have blocked gc.com for one reason or another. His advice was for gc.com to contact them. I'm going to email Groundspeak as soon as i finish this reply. Does anyone else have a suggestion as to what we can do to speed this fix? This problem needs to be corrected as there are alot of people being affected.

:rolleyes: Sorry to ask this question, but why does anyone still use AOL?

My ISP only costs $9.99/month and I don't have any problem receiving any of my mail through either of my two email addresses I have through them. :)

I have been on AOL for about 10 years now and don't want to change to another service. I've contacted aol and the representative didn't have any details but did say that aol may have blocked gc.com for one reason or another. His advice was for gc.com to contact them. I'm going to email Groundspeak as soon as i finish this reply. Does anyone else have a suggestion as to what we can do to speed this fix? This problem needs to be corrected as there are alot of people being affected.

If getting email from geocaching.com is important to you I suggest, like many others in this thread have, signing up for a non-AOL email address. From what I have seen when this has happened to other web sites. Groundspeak will have only a few choices. Groundspeak can set a limit on the number of emails that will be sent to AOLs email servers. This will cause your email to be delayed but at least you will get it, eventually, sometime this century, or the next, if your lucky. Groundspeak can "work with" AOL each time AOL blocks emails from geocaching.com. This means that randomly (when I say randomly I really mean at the most annoying time, like just before that big cache run you spent months planning for and took vacation time to do) you will not get emails from geocaching.com for days at a time. And I would wager to guess that eventually Groundspeak will tire of the whole thing and emails from geocaching.com to AOL will stop althogether.

Hopefully, I am wrong and Groundspeak and AOL will be able to see eye to eye on a permanent solution.

I noticed on the instant notification thread that the Groundspeak people saw the problem and did some fixing. I'm hoping that the only reason they haven't yet responded to this thread is because it was started over the weekend. I, too, have AOL and have not received any GC e-mail for several days now. Hoping there is a solution soon! (BTW, my instant notifications haven't been working for longer than that...maybe when that problem was fixed, it overlapped with the AOL problem?)

I noticed on the instant notification thread that the Groundspeak people saw the problem and did some fixing. I'm hoping that the only reason they haven't yet responded to this thread is because it was started over the weekend. I, too, have AOL and have not received any GC e-mail for several days now. Hoping there is a solution soon! (BTW, my instant notifications haven't been working for longer than that...maybe when that problem was fixed, it overlapped with the AOL problem?)

Add me to the list! I am receiving sporadic email from gc.com and the forums through my AOL acct. I never had this problem before until last week's downtime! Is it possible that the software upgrade had some sort of a glitch that AOL has responded badly to? Not seeing this thread, I started a similar one today in the wrong forum (Sorry), but hopefully more visibility will help Groundspeak to work with AOL on this! I don't think that we should have to open another email account just for geocaching.

BTW, it's not an user SPAM folder problem - I checked that out right away & gc.com was not blocked by me or any of my family members! :rolleyes:

For the past week I have not received email notifications of new caches, nor have I received emailed pocket query files, nor have I received emails of logs from caches that I own or caches on my watchlist. I was setup to received emails on my AOL account, but yesterday switched over to my new Gmail account. Hope that works better.

I use netscape and also have not been receiving notifications or email since Saturday. I guess if its an aol problem and netscape was bought out by aol then the problem is fairly large. I'm going to use my secondary address here and see if I start getting these things but that also is a pain as I don't check that email every day :rolleyes: My outgoing emails through gc.com seem to be going through

Hello All,

After reviewing this thread. I decided to contact AOL myself through Live Chat & this is the response that I got: B):):anibad:B)B) Hope It Helps! B):rolleyes::blink::)

11:04:11 AMSystemWelcome Linda ...

11:04:11 AMSystemConnecting to server. Please wait...

11:04:11 AMSystemConnected to wnaad02o.ops.aol.com

11:04:20 AMSystemAOLTechLRC has joined this session!

11:04:20 AMSystemConnected with AOLTechLRC

11:04:20 AMSystemHello, Linda. Welcome to Live Technical Support. My name is Kelly.

11:04:20 AMSystemLinda stated the question or problem as: 3rd Attempt - Cut Off Twice. I have learned that AOL is blocking emails from geocaching.com, a reputable website. Can you explain this?

11:04:30 AMSystemAre you signed on with the same computer that you need assistance with?

11:04:35 AMYouyes

11:04:50 AMAOLTechLRCPleased to meet you,Linda. I'm happy to address any question that you may have and I appreciate the opportunity to handle this for you.

11:05:12 AMYouPlease don't cut me off again!

11:05:40 AMAOLTechLRCI understand you are not getting e-mail from geocaching.com. Do I have it correct?

11:05:42 AMYouWhy are emails from geocaching.com being blocked at the server level?

11:06:19 AMYouThat is correct. Many geocachers that are also AOL users are not happy with this problem

11:07:21 AMAOLTechLRCDo you happen to know if they are getting any error message?

11:08:17 AMYouNo, a fellow user was told to have geocaching.com call a customer service number because it was a server level issue. This sounds crazy.

11:09:03 AMYouWe have gotten emails from geocaching.com for years & now all of sudden they are being blocked. Makes me wonder what else is blocked that I don't know about.

11:09:41 AMAOLTechLRCMay I ask the exact domain address for geocaching.com?, so I can personally report the problem to our postmaster who escalate this kind of issue.

11:10:01 AMYouwww.geocaching.com

11:10:31 AMAOLTechLRCThank you for the information.

11:11:51 AMAOLTechLRCI will escalate this issue to our Postmaster so they can fix the problem.

I don't think that we should have to open another email account just for geocaching.

No thinking about it. I shouldn't have to use another email account. I like aol's ease of use and i want to stick with it. This is fixable but like others have asked in this thread, will it be?

I too contacted AOL and they told me i needed to get GC.com to contact them regarding this. I then sent an email to GC.com with contact info. I'm sure others have as well so hopefully this will get the ball rolling and the problem remedied!

By the way, i did receive an instant notify on 7/24 for one of two caches that was put published on 7/22. Two days late and i never received anything on the other cache. Also, i got only one of three queries, a day later than when i asked for it. Very strange, very sporadic!

Since this is an AOL problem, I feel sorry for the staff at GC.com.

AOL has done this in the past and although I understand someone wanting to use it for its "ease of use," have you ever wondered what else hasn't gotten through their sometimes-arbitrary filters . . . ?

Well I use netscape mail and I'm also affected. I don't even have aol but with their partnership.... Don't receive the instant notifications and never did receive the pocket query from Friday. I'm really p.o.ed about this as my other email account isn't nearly as convenient and I hadn't been checking it everyday. I did change it over though and received email promptly there.

Here's the latest email that we have received from AOL: B)

We wrote:

We are still not getting our emails from www.geocaching.com . Other users on the forums on the site are advising not to use AOL email, but I have used it for years and like using it. Why can't AOL work this out with the folks at Groundspeak.

AOL responded:

Thank you for the feedback.

AOL may have received large amounts of junk e-mail from someone using this domain name. Please ask the sender of the e-mail to ask their system administrator or Internet Service Provider to call the AOL® Postmaster Hotline at 1-888-212-5537. Reported problems are often fixed within minutes, but may go unfixed for days or weeks because they are not reported.

The Postmaster Team, which is available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, can work with the ISP to quickly resolve the issue. Additional information is available at the AOL Postmaster Web Site: http://postmaster.info.aol.com/ :)

In past years, Fred Langa has brought up this problem in his newsletter. It seems that AOL will blacklist a site after very few complaints. A few years ago, a friend was surprised she couldn't view a funny flash animation on the albinoblacksheep site when the link sent to her was innocuous.

AOL had apparently blocked that entire domain . . . :)

Why should the GC people have to do all the work when AOL is getting the complaints and it is their problem. irked.gif A little research on their side would show them this is a legitimate site.

Edited by Miragee

In past years, Fred Langa has brought up this problem in his newsletter. It seems that AOL will blacklist a site after very few complaints. A few years ago, a friend was surprised she couldn't view a funny flash animation on the albinoblacksheep site when the link sent to her was innocuous.

AOL had apparently blocked that entire domain . . . :)

Why should the GC people have to do all the work when AOL is getting the complaints and it is their problem. irked.gif A little research on their side would show them this is a legitimate site.

Well that isn't helping us out at the moment. What I want to know is, Has anyone from GC.com contacted AOL to see what the problem is and can it be fixed?

I would like to hear directly from them on this matter instead of reading the theories of others.

I have had a conversation with the AOL help guy

When I dragged him off his script he said he would report it as it didn't seem to be a customer problem [no surprise there]

I also reminded him that there were a lot of AOL uses who are getting miffed

Certainly I move house in two months - it is only inertia keeping me on aol, so it may be time to cancel my sub

I just ran a PQ. In my mail box with-in a minute. I'm a Netscape user which is a subsidary of AOL.

I'm just wondering, last week we had record numbers of GUEST's on the forums. I think around 2000 or so. Just wonder if we where attacked by hackers and they were using GCs domain to send out a ton of spam. It seems that is what AOL is saying the reason for blocking GCs mail.

Any other thoughts on this?

I just ran a PQ. In my mail box with-in a minute. I'm a Netscape user which is a subsidary of AOL.

I'm just wondering, last week we had record numbers of GUEST's on the forums. I think around 2000 or so. Just wonder if we where attacked by hackers and they were using GCs domain to send out a ton of spam. It seems that is what AOL is saying the reason for blocking GCs mail.

Spam wasn't sent out via Geocaching.com's servers. AOL occasionally throttles our email. Yes, we've contacted him but it never turns out to be as easy as a phone call. Never fear, your emails are nice and toasty in the queue waiting to be delivered to your AOL in-box.

It never ceases to amaze me how AOL causes a problem but relies on us to contact them instead of trusting their own users to resolve the issue.

Spam wasn't sent out via Geocaching.com's servers. AOL occasionally throttles our email. Yes, we've contacted him but it never turns out to be as easy as a phone call. Never fear, your emails are nice and toasty in the queue waiting to be delivered to your AOL in-box.

It never ceases to amaze me how AOL causes a problem but relies on us to contact them instead of trusting their own users to resolve the issue.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm glad that GC was not used as an indirect Spam sender.

I hope everything is worked out sometime. But in the mean time my Netscape account seems to work just fine.

It never ceases to amaze me how AOL allows all sorts of spam past their spam filters into my inbox, yet they throttle e-mails that I want and need to receive. I've switched my pocket queries over to Yahoo, as well as some of my other notifications, and I'm seeing some problems there, too. Maybe I need to start all over again with GMail addresses. But when you've had the same e-mail address for 14 years, plus other valid reasons to continue using AOL, there is a certain amount of inertia involved.

"Thanks for the quick response. I'm glad that GC was not used as an indirect Spam sender.

I hope everything is worked out sometime. But in the mean time my Netscape account seems to work just fine."

I use netscape too but absolutely nothing since maybe Friday.....

I switched to my other account but am NOT a happy camper

Edited by LadyBee4T

Thank you for making contact with AOL. Will keep you posted if the mail comes through. We finally did get a forum email, so I guess that's some progress. :(