Category Proposal: The Multi-mark

Since we are starting to talk about cross-referrencing and items fitting into several categories, I was thinking that it might be a good challenge to find a location that meets the criteria of numerous categories at once.

Thus a group to manage a category based upon this would be fun.

But there would have to be some very strict rules to form this group.

Here are a few of my thoughts for requirements to submit a Waymark to this category

1... All of the individual Waymarks must be owned by the same owner that is submitting to this category

2... All of the individual Waymarks must use the exact same coordinates

3... All of the individual Waymarks must be in unique categories (e.g. side by side plaques in the same category count as 1)

The question is.... how many individual Waymarks would there have to be to allow entry into this category? I would want to base the name of the group and the category on this number.

Are there other restrictions that others can think of?

Is this even a good idea? Is it needed or desired?

This could be a real challenge, but I've read some people talking about how they were thrilled to be able to use the same spot for a few Waymarks... so we could encourage it.

All constructive input appreciated.

:laughing: The Blue Quasar

Edited by The Blue Quasar

Since we are starting to talk about cross-referrencing and items fitting into several categories, I was thinking that it might be a good challenge to find a location that meets the criteria of numerous categories at once.

Thus a group to manage a category based upon this would be fun.

But there would have to be some very strict rules to form this group.

Here are a few of my thoughts for requirements to submit a Waymark to this category

1... All of the individual Waymarks must be owned by the same owner that is submitting to this category

2... All of the individual Waymarks must use the exact same coordinates

3... All of the individual Waymarks must be in unique categories (e.g. side by side plaques in the same category count as 1)

The question is.... how many individual Waymarks would there have to be to allow entry into this category? I would want to base the name of the group and the category on this number.

Are there other restrictions that others can think of?

Is this even a good idea? Is it needed or desired?

This could be a real challenge, but I've read some people talking about how they were thrilled to be able to use the same spot for a few Waymarks... so we could encourage it.

All constructive input appreciated.

:anitongue: The Blue Quasar

I think this could be viewed as abusing the open rules we have in this activity as little new information about the location would be conveyed other than, "hey you can build your numbers by visiting this location" Rewarding people with one more listing to reward them for listing a location X number of times I think would encourage some people to stretch locations to fit when maybe they really don't. I don't think it is a good idea. I have no problem with cross listing however having a separate category where the only purpose is to catalog these locations with nothing in common except having several waypoints does not make for a good category.

Yeah... the more I think about it the less I like the idea. There doesn't need to be a group to make this happen either, and I certainly wouldn't want people making new categories that aren't worthwhile just to increase the chances of meeting this one's requirements.

Based upon some recent activity and forum posts, there should be more focus on quality. This idea may cause the creation of poor Waymarks.

:anitongue: The Blue Quasar