Historic Caches

I am currently working on some caches that would be at some historic locations in my town. Most are not marked with any historical markers, but are neat little pieces of history of my county and city.

A few will be regular sized, but some will be micros. The reason I am posting is that some will not be at any particular location (scenic view, monument) but to a place in time really. An example is one will be at a corner near downtown. There is nothing there, but in 1920 the cities water container was there. the concrete sides gave way and several people were killed and half the town was flooded. Others are at similar locations, and some will be out in the woods. One will be at the old crossing point on the nearby river. In other words they will let you know some of the lesser known history of the county and to the places it happened.

Question to you, would you go to these or, just read the cache page, think it's neat, and move on?

I am currently working on some caches that would be at some historic locations in my town. Most are not marked with any historical markers, but are neat little pieces of history of my county and city.

A few will be regular sized, but some will be micros. The reason I am posting is that some will not be at any particular location (scenic view, monument) but to a place in time really. An example is one will be at a corner near downtown. There is nothing there, but in 1920 the cities water container was there. the concrete sides gave way and several people were killed and half the town was flooded. Others are at similar locations, and some will be out in the woods. One will be at the old crossing point on the nearby river. In other words they will let you know some of the lesser known history of the county and to the places it happened.

Question to you, would you go to these or, just read the cache page, think it's neat, and move on?

You are describing exactly what makes geocaching interesting! Go for it and good luck.

I would definately search for that type of cache. They're the most interresting to me. We have many caches here in western PA that are like that. I especially like the old iron furnaces and mills. One of the most important things we can do as cachers is to teach our friends and children about local historic places.

By all means, put them out, and we will come!

Historic caches are my favorite to find and also to hide!

I have a cache placed in a historic district near the foundation of an old mill, a cache that celebrates a famous marine painter from the early 1800's and his home (he also happens to be an ancestor of my mine...) and a cache that is placed near the ruins of a mansion in the woods, that not many people around know was ever there.

I thoroughy researched these historic spots and included that information on the cache pages.

I get so many nice emails from cachers who not only enjoyed the hike but also the history lesson! It really makes it worth the effort!

My favorite historic cache that I have found is Adams, Hancock & the Salmon. It has a very unusual and interesting history lesson!

I will most definitely go to your historic caches if I am ever nearby! :laughing:

Historic caches are my favorite type of cache. I wish they had an attribute, the way that "scenic view" does.

Even if there is no evidence left at the spot where something happened or existed 100 years ago, it is still interesting to read an informative cache page, then go to the spot and imagine what it was like.

The only real issue I had is that at at least two of the locations, there is absolutly nothing to see, or to let you know that something was there, and I did not want to send people on something they may think was Micro spew.

I was going to place them either way, but was just trying to get a feel of what kind of logs i may expect from these caches.

The only real issue I had is that at at least two of the locations, there is absolutly nothing to see, or to let you know that something was there, and I did not want to send people on something they may think was Micro spew.

I was going to place them either way, but was just trying to get a feel of what kind of logs i may expect from these caches.

I once stood in a small dip in the forest floor on a hill in Korea for over an hour just staring off into nothing. There was not much there either. It looked pretty much like every other hill in that part of Korea. The difference was that 39 years before, the dip was a trench dug by a small group of soldiers that, against the longest of odds, held off North Korea forces that outnumber them by up to 100 to 1. They held for 4 days. In the end they were all killed, or wounded and then killed. What is there, sometime, isn't as important, as what happened there.

I loved to hunt your caches. Put them out.

Edited by Totem Clan

If the spot is uninteresting because the history isn't visible, and it will only support a microcache, consider improving the experience by making it a puzzle or a multicache. Puzzle: Have the finder do research on the historic event in order to figure out the coordinates. Force 'em to learn. Multicache: if there are two related locations, one of which is more attractive, have the second stage trading cache at that spot. Example: The townsfolk met at a tavern (now a downtown parking lot), and then marched off to meet the enemy on the nearby battlefield (now a state historic park that permits geocaches).

Historical caches are great. That is one reason I got into geocaching to begin with, and I would go out of my way to visit one.

I would not worry about what type of cache you place there. Although I agree that The Leprechauns suggestions could enhance the experience, do it your way. If you want to put a micro in an historical spot, then do it and don't worry about a silly term that few people off this forum really pay attention to. People will go find your caches. I'm not saying that you should just throw out any old cache; I am saying that you should do it your way.

Good luck.

There is a series of caches in Dallas that bring you to locations that are part of Bonnie and Clyde's history. Like you are describing, nothing special there now. Some of them are neighborhoods you probably would not visit otherwise. They were way cool to seek and the history lesson was on the cache page.

Like Totem Clan mentioned, the mind is the bet video player of all. I've stood in Minuteman Park (the place where they didn't fire until they could see the whites of their eyes) and imagined the scene. Granted this is a well marked National park, but the spots where stuff really happened isn't always signed or marked with a X.

Aside to Horsegeeks-do you really need an excuse to go find a cache around here? :)

Edited by wimseyguy

Here at home we have several around the area of our state capital building. I've mentioned this before, it's a fascinating building. the first floor is a two wing museum. A couple of blocks in either direction you'll find several caches in historic locations. In the capital itself, there are virtual caches, great in Missouri winter and for kids.

Plus we have some that are local history oriented. Being a history buff, these serve my own interests, plus I can keep the boys educated to their own city's history. We have civil war history, Lewis and Clark, Frank and jesse james related history. If ever in the area stop in, you'll be surprised what you'll find.

I would love to do one like this! Even if there's nothing left, I think it'd still be cool to go to. Like Lep said

Even if there is no evidence left at the spot where something happened or existed 100 years ago, it is still interesting to read an informative cache page, then go to the spot and imagine what it was like.

If I get a chance after you place them I would go :)