Would Waymarking Be Worth It?

I scarcely find time to get out caching these days. I went about six mouths sans a find ( :laughing: ) this past year because of schoolwork and scholastic sports.

Anyway, Waymarking seems a bit different, because I could find waymark items out and about- at away meets, or in other places I'd be anyway. However, I would have to learn a whole new site, and before I do I want to make sure it's worth it.

Is the action taken at the physical location a waymark very time consuming? I don't have easy access to a digital camera since I broke mine last summer. Would this put me out of the running? Are many areas "saturated" with waymarks, or are many waymarks nearly all found? I'm imagining them a bit like the locationlesses, and I really enjoyed finding those (I still register all yellow jeeps in my mind :laughing: ).

Thanks for any tips y'all with experience have! :laughing:

I scarcely find time to get out caching these days. I went about six mouths sans a find ( :laughing: ) this past year because of schoolwork and scholastic sports.

Anyway, Waymarking seems a bit different, because I could find waymark items out and about- at away meets, or in other places I'd be anyway. However, I would have to learn a whole new site, and before I do I want to make sure it's worth it.

Is the action taken at the physical location a waymark very time consuming? I don't have easy access to a digital camera since I broke mine last summer. Would this put me out of the running? Are many areas "saturated" with waymarks, or are many waymarks nearly all found? I'm imagining them a bit like the locationlesses, and I really enjoyed finding those (I still register all yellow jeeps in my mind :laughing: ).

Thanks for any tips y'all with experience have! :laughing:

As a former cacher, I find this activity more satisfying. The site is not that difficult to learn. What I advise is to learn what is required for a few categories that interest you the most. The time you spend at the actual location is up to you and somewhat the category but most categories do not require much time at the location. Typing up the submission and possibly doing some research either before or after going to location may take some time. Not having a camera will make it tough, most categories require a picture to list a waymark, there are a few that don't. I would look for a cheap used camera if cash is short. In 99% of the world there is no saturation at all, even in the "saturated" areas the saturation is in just a few categories and other categories are untouched. I travel alot for work and while going to my children's sporting events and I often try to find a few new locations to waymark in categories that interest me while in a new area. There are similarities between waymarks and locationless caches however listing a waymark usually require more than what was required to log a locationless cache. The other major difference is that with locationless caches you could usually only find one of that particular item, Waymarking does not have that restriction. If particular category interests you, go for it and list as many as you want.

Thanks for the response.

I would look for a cheap used camera if cash is short.

Yeah I think I have saved enough mowing money for a camera, and this is just one more reason (other than just nice photos) to get one. It's good to know they are important, more than in geocaching.

The other major difference is that with locationless caches you could usually only find one of that particular item, Waymarking does not have that restriction. If particular category interests you, go for it and list as many as you want.

This is cool. I always saw more opportunities for locationless caches than the ones I logged, and found that fun. That may be the best feature of them all.

I'll definitely give this a lookat. Anyone else with imput (perhaps for others thinking similarly to me).

I just started recently, and although I still cache, I love that you don't need to "prep" to find waymarks. I just leave my camera and GPS in the dash of the car with a list of my favorite categories and no matter where I am, I'm ready to waymark. Just found a couple this morning while waiting for my son's symphony concert to start. Hope that helps. [:)]

I have found that creating a new waymark location takes far more time than logging a visit to one that has already been created. Some catagories require lots of information, others don't. It seems to me that it's much like the difference between creating or finding a cache. A 2-star MULTI takes more time and effort to create then it does to normally find. 1-star Micros in a parking lot are easy either way.

MotherGoose & I were frustrated with Locationless Caches because so many that were hard to find had been claimed by the time we got involved and we couldn't log a visit either.

We can now spend a day exploring the countryside and photograph many waymarks. We could then spend 3 days creating new waymarks. But we know the frustration of being unable to find a new one, so we save photos and comments to log a visit later when others in the area get involved and start creating new waymarks.

One thing to remember - Know what is required when you head out to find that special waymark. If you don't, you'll miss one item needed and have to make a return trip. We have print-outs of all the catigories with us. Just remember too- sometimes the requirements for a new catagory get changed.

You never know when you'll find a historic marker at the first country church in the county that's more than 100 years old, on a plank road, next to a railroad bridge while you are driving to that "Z" welcome sign.

Good Luck,

In 99% of the world there is no saturation at all, even in the "saturated" areas the saturation is in just a few categories and other categories are untouched.

He's very very right. We live just north of NY City and honestly within 10 miles there's only a few waymarks. And some of them are in New Jersey where it may be <10 miles "as the crow flies" but it involves going a roundabout way over a toll bridge so it's really more than that. So believe me, "saturation" is far from being a problem right now.

Well, I think you'd love Waymarking, but I'm hardly unbiassed, I guess. I often plan a geocaching trip and end up spending as much, or more, time Waymarking! It has changed the way I look at things, and I now notice a lot of things I would otherwise missed, or seen but not really thought about. Ghost Signs, Unique Weathervanes, Murals, etc. -- pick your interest. There are always city parks, war memorials, libraries, fire houses, city halls, antique shops, colleges -- and, of course, McDonald's, if you like such things. Something for everyone.

As others have said, a digital camera is almost a "must." Some categories do NOT require a photo for logging a visit, or even for a waymark creation, but they are few. A good photo gallery is important for some categories. Some require a photo with the GPSr in the view, either for creation or logged visits. So, just be aware of what each category requires.

And, I would also agree that there is a lot of time required to create and submit a waymark. This is always my bottle neck. I have twice as many waymarks waiting to submit than I have actually submitted so far! They just have to be squeezed into my odd moments unless I can block out home time to sit at the computer and do it.

Give it a try; I think you'll like it! Why, you might even want to create your own category!

Whether or not Waymarking is worth it, is a decision you have to make for yourself. Here is my perspective, which may help you. Today I hunted for and found a tradional cache, an ammo box hid the woods. The thrill for me is in the hunt, and I really enjoyed this one. I hiked through a park that I probably would never have visited otherwise.

On the way home I stopped at a waymarker. This one was a giant sundial at Illinois Central College, East Peoria, IL. Interestingly I have taken a couple of evening courses over the years but have never seen the sundial. My excuse might be that I have been there only after dark. My son starts as a full time student there this fall and I had to go there to pay the tuition. After doing that I deceided to hunt down the sundial. It was cool (not the weather, though).

On the way home from there, I found another waymark. This was a historical marker along a road. I have driven this road several times but never have stopped to read the marker. This marker was about the early settlements in the area. I was already vaguely familiar with the information but I learned more concrete facts from the marker.

So, if this sounds like something that may interest you, then perhaps Waymarking is worth it for you, but, as I already said, that's something you have to decide. BTW, I found out about these waymarks simply by searching for ones in my home area.