Yellow Jeeps

Cryptid

Last time I checked and weeded out the MIA's there only seemed to be 2 or 3 in caches in Georgia. My very first travel bug was a yellow Jeep. Granted I went after it because it was a Jeep TB but at the time I didn't understand the difference between the yellow & whites. I remember finding it in the cache and feeling very underwhelmed. I now realize how lucky I was.

I placed one in a cache 2 miles from my house over a month ago and it hasn't been picked up yet.

Theres one in one of my caches right now! and been so for the past week. :anitongue:

And... you know it's there because you have actually physically checked its' presence in the cache or just because it has not been logged out?

Theres one in one of my caches right now! and been so for the past week. :anitongue:

And... you know it's there because you have actually physically checked its' presence in the cache or just because it has not been logged out?

Yep I stopped by and checked it, (thanks for reminding me to discover it.)

Its still there because its only been found by 3 cachers (in 4 months).

I placed one in a cache 2 miles from my house over a month ago and it hasn't been picked up yet.

I haven't checked it. I am going to assume it's there, though. It's at the final stage of a multi that has been a difficult find.

how do you do a search for just jeep TB's?

I don't think you can. last time I checked I just paged through all the caches in Georgia, I've got that kinda time, and looked at each one with the Jeep icon. If you're a premium member I suppose you could shortcut that some by doing a pocket query on TB's then identifying the Jeeps from that shorter list.

From my thread on the subject:

6/25 Update

Yellow Jeeps 5001

Never Released 1061

Logged in the Last 30 Days 370 9% of the Number released

Logged in the Last 90 days 678 17% of the number released

I don't automatically assume a lack of recent activity means they're MIA ... 2 of the ones in GA that I think are still valid haven't moved in several months. I 'suspect' they're still in there becuase one is in one of the toughest mutlicaches in the state while the other is in a puzzle cache.

Correct. The yellow Jeeps are from Jeep's 2004 geocaching contest while the white ones are from a similar promotion in 2005. Coming soon are the Green Jeeps for this year's contest. There's a lot of angst about the fact that many cachers treat these TB's differently than others. More specifically many cachers have fewer reservations about keeping (collecting) the Jeeps when they would never do that to regular TB's that don't belong to them.

As far as other TB's and coins go I can't really say if there are others that seem to be as universally desired as the Jeeps. Coins are certainly very nice to discover because they're usually a little on the pricey side and I admire anyone who sends something valuable out into the trust of the general public. They too seem to have an unfortunate habit of being 'collected' by some cads.

That said, you may also find a geocoin that isn't trackable, i.e. it doesn't have an engraved (or attached) tracking number. If you find one of these AND it doesn't have specific instructions then you can treat it as a trade item. In that case count yourself very lucky and leave something of equivelent value (approx $5 - $10).

Oh, I'm sorry. I'm a little on the new side too. Appearently I was suppossed to rudely refer you to the 'search' feature of the forums instead of attempting to answer your question. Sorry, won't happen again. :)

Some are still alive and Kicking...

I always have one. I hang on to it until another one shows up then I swap them. That way the next cacher to the cache still finds a yellow jeep. I live in a very remote area so I don't see too many but I think I'm on my 7th one now. Now I'm doing that with white jeeps too.

I'm not picking up any more yellow or white jeeps to move. If I come across any in a cache I'll discover them, but leave them for someone else. I had one YJTB and one was plenty. Before that I had 2 WJTBs. I won one of the monthly contests last year and once I became ineligible to win any more I decided to stop going after jeeps in order to give more people a chance to do so.

I don't know which is worse, the jeep hoarding, or doing so under the guise of "I'm making sure other people can log it." Doesn't matter, hoarding is still taking them out of circulation and it sucks.

Some are still alive and Kicking...

I always have one. I hang on to it until another one shows up then I swap them. That way the next cacher to the cache still finds a yellow jeep.

But if everyone did that, it prevents others from their opportunity to find it and log it. It looks like at least one of your yellow jeeps was a trade with another cacher who was also holding onto it until swapping out for another.

I found a YJTB this morning here in Western NC. It had been in the Ten Foot Falls cache (GCNK28) for almost 3 months. It's not that hard of a cache, just somewhat out of the way. On summer weekends this is a very popular swimming area. I was amazed that the cache was still hidden and secure.

NCFiddler <><

I found a White and a Yellow Jeep within a day of each other here in NH last week. :D

I haven't been outdoors since as it's been too hot and I've been feeling crappy.

Hopefully I'll be outside this weekend and can keep those guys moving. I'd be happy to trade for a new Green one :(

Here's an odd question. I started caching after the YJTB craze, but was able to get in on the WJTB and GJTB. To satisfy my urge to "own" one of these beauties, I went to Wal-Mart and bought me one. The WJTB were only $2 each at Wal-Mart, and the GJTB was $.50 (two pack of jeeps for $.99). The question I have is, anyone ever seen the diecast YJTB for sale anywhere? I'd love to add that third piece to my collection. Please PM or email me if you have a lead. thanks

We found one earlier this month in Scotland and brought it back to the states. I think alot of the Jeeps have become souvenirs for people, especially after the contests ended.

The one we found was activated/launched in 2004 but its first movement wasnt posted until July 2006.

I had thought about keeping it as a souvenir since that contest is over and they doesnt belong to an individual geocacher (But it belongs to our geocaching community!). When I look at our account page and see that asterisk and paragraph in our inventory section, I will get annoyed and probably toss the bug into one our own caches.

Edited by brodiebunch

They most definatley are still out there. I have one of those little yellow fella's in my possesion at this very moment. Picked it up in a remote spot in Wales, UK over the weekend and will be releasing again soon in the south/south east England fairly soon. (I've been unable to log it so far while I wait for the previous carrier to drop it)

I have one on my watchlist since I found it. It was last logged Dec. 14, 2005 by a guy named Joespam. His log said he would move it on soon.............

He last logged onto the site May 20, 2006. He only has one cache find and the Yellow Jeep is the only trackable he has listed. I don't know what he did with the Jeep but it seems to me MIA.

Edited by Thrak