Upload A Favicon For Use As An Icon On The 60csx

I uploaded a favicon with the POI loader. Pretty neat. For each Pocket query I can associate a different favicon. Just rename your favicon.ico to the .GPX pocket query file but with a .bmp extension. Then put in the same folder as the .gpx and run POI loader.

Here is a screenshot of my uploaded favicons. The stars are geocaches stored as Custom POI.

The Yin Yang are members only caches. There are many favicons floating around on the net. Its very easy to grab one you want and use it on the Garmin 60CSx.

screenshotoj4.png

You should take the pocket query generated at geocaching.com and open it in GSAK. Export the information to a .GPX file and set the Waypoint Name length to 44.

Here are the parameters I use.

Waypoint name %smart (%Dif/%Ter) %con

Cache description format %hint %typ %datepl %datelf %By

Also, I finally learned that if you load your geocache waypoints as

custom POI with the POI loader that you can get 132 characters of

description. 44 characters for the name and 88 for the comments/note.

It is usually room for the whole hint and more.

Only took 6 hours to figure out. lol

Edited by Sushi King

I uploaded a favicon with the POI loader. Pretty neat. For each Pocket query I can associate a different favicon. Just rename your favicon.ico to the .GPX pocket query file but with a .bmp extension. Then put in the same folder as the .gpx and run POI loader.

Here is a screenshot of my uploaded favicons. The stars are geocaches stored as Custom POI.

The Yin Yang are members only caches. There are many favicons floating around on the net. Its very easy to grab one you want and use it on the Garmin 60CSx.

screenshotxr3.png

can you explain that in english?

Or at least explain a bit better how you do the importing for more characters?

Thanks

Edited by BigMahma

Can you selectively load them in for types of caches?

What I am getting at is can you load one type of favicon for Mystery caches, and another for mulit's?

I'd like to be able to identify the mystery caches I have loaded without looking up the cache info on my pda.

That is exactly what I am saying. Yes you can do that.

You would first generate a pocket query for each type of cache. Each pocket query is a gpx file that can have a .bmp associated with it. Just rename the favicon to the same name as the .gxp For example MysteryCaches.gpx would have a file in the SAME folder called Mystery.bmp. When you run the POI Loader and specify this folder, it will get loaded automatically. Then mystery caches would all have that .bmp file as the icon.

It appears that when you have 2 different pocket queries that overlap, the caches that overlap will display the first bmp loaded on the regular map page but when you mouse over the cache, the icon will change to the second icon. Its kind of a nice way to let you know that it is both. I haven't tried what happens when pocket queries overlap more than 3 times. When you do a find custom POI the icon that shows up will depend on what database you have selected.

Edited by Sushi King

Be aware of that just because you can see (and download) an icon you do not have the copyright to the icon. You may not use the icons without the copyright holder's permission. I don't know if you care about these details, but that's the law in most countries.

Be aware of that just because you can see (and download) an icon you do not have the copyright to the icon. You may not use the icons without the copyright holder's permission. I don't know if you care about these details, but that's the law in most countries.

There are pleanty of free for all favicons available on the web. And if you take one that you are not sure about, it is pretty easy to edit the picture and make it your own.

Edited by Sushi King

screenshotoj4.png

You should take the pocket query generated at geocaching.com and open it in GSAK. Export the information to a .GXP file and set the Waypoint Name length to 44.

Here are the parameters I use.

Waypoint name %smart (%Dif/%Ter) %con

Cache description format %hint %typ %datepl %datelf %By

What's a ".GXP" file? Do you mean a ".GPX" file?

I tried a GPX file and while the Garmin POI loader says "1134 points of interest transferred", they don't show up on my GPS map.

Looks like I may take another 6 hours to figure out how to get caches into my GPS as POIs...

:laughing:

Your right, I mean .GPX. They do show up on your map but you have to be at 800 feet zoom to be able to see it. I would like to know how to increase that. Zoom in to 800 feet and you will see the points.

You can also click on find then Custom POI to get a list then click a cache and finally click map. You will see all the points on the map.

Edited by Sushi King

This feature is really great-- although it needs a lot of improvements (i.e. - transparancy still doesn't work, you can only view custom POIs at 300-800 ft., etc...).

Lots of info on this subject in this thread and this thread or by searching for POIloader :laughing:

EDIT: to say check this post for a screenshot of how I set up custom POIs in GSAK. Just be sure to name your bitmap file the same as your database file and upload them from the same directory.

Edited by Cache Heads

Your right, I mean .GPX. They do show up on your map but you have to be at 800 feet zoom to be able to see it. I would like to know how to increase that. Zoom in to 800 feet and you will see the points.

You can also click on find then Custom POI to get a list then click a cache and finally click map. You will see all the points on the map.

WOW! I just found one of my Custom POI's! (which I thought hadn't transferred)

With Metric units displayed, zoom has to be 80meters (about 240feet) - WAY too close for general cache driving. Gotta tweak that.

I'd never even seen the "Find->Custom POIs" option until you pointed it out.

Thanks for your help Sushi King!

Cache Heads: I'm on a quest now to set up custom icons for different cache types. Thanks kindly for the links.

Do you know if there's a limit on the number of custom POI's? I could only send 1,000 waypoints via GSAK. Is it true there's no cap on the custom POI's except your available memory?