Malaysia Geocachers

turbosnail

Just wonder if any geocachers from Malaysia visit this forum.

Ok let me start. Turbosnail here, born and bred in Penang, a place where one of the earliest cache planted in Asia. Current a proud owner of 14 caches in the island. I would like to see this f8un and exciting sport grows in Malaysia and would like to meet any like minded Malaysians here.

Also an active member of malsingmaps.com, a place where you can get free Garmin maps for Garmin GPSrs.

Edited by turbosnail

Hi Turbo,

Robo here too.....

Slight poisoned by you.... <_<

I'm from Johore, West Malaysia.

Trying to plant some caches here at Johor. Because it's only one here!

Need advise & guides from seniors out there....Turbo, maybe you can help?? :laughing:

Thanks.

Edited by robojsl

Hello Malaysia - I'm coming to Malaysia next week (Coordin8z and Sweepy) armed with loads of geocaches to do in KL, Penang (Turbosnails ++) and one or two other places. I am having trouble locating caches on the East coast (Kota Bharu, K. Terengganu, Kuantan, Mersing. I have the one for Tioman. Are there any there? If so could you let me have the waypoint numbers - GC******.

We are on driving ourselves so will we have trouble with floods?

Hope you guys are OK it doesn't look good with the flooding.

Hope you can help.

Happy Caching.

Coordin8z

Hello Malaysia - I'm coming to Malaysia next week (Coordin8z and Sweepy) armed with loads of geocaches to do in KL, Penang (Turbosnails ++) and one or two other places. I am having trouble locating caches on the East coast (Kota Bharu, K. Terengganu, Kuantan, Mersing. I have the one for Tioman. Are there any there? If so could you let me have the waypoint numbers - GC******.

Hope you can help.

Happy Caching.

Coordin8z

Visit this website, http://www.malsingmaps.com if you need Malaysian maps for your Garmin GPSr(if you use one of course) or maps for Mapking V10.

Flood areas are limited to certain areas in the state of Johor. Other areas should be ok.

I don't think there are any in East coast since geocaching is still new here.

Edited by turbosnail

Hope you can help.

Happy Caching.

Coordin8z

Hi, welcome to Malaysia. Currently the floods are only at the southern site - Johore. Seems like it does not effect other state of M'sia.

I'm off work now but cannot go back cos of the flood and roads are congested with cars! Hmm.....got to go to some cafe and cool myself with chill beers! :D

Happy geocaching in Malaysia!

Cheers!

Just planted my first cache.

Some photos to share......

The cache

Image027.jpg

The surrouding.....

GeoCache.jpg

Image037.jpg

Image039.jpg

Image040.jpg

Gunung Pulai, Johore (GC12KH8)

Altitude : around 295 meter from sea level.

This is the second cache posted at Geocaching website(I am sure there were others but were archived for some reasons). Just few days after you planted it was already being visited, a sign shows that geocachers are craved for more caches in Johor!

Hi all,

I am a Belgian geocacher who has started a crazy project of discovering a geocache in every country on the planet. For all countries where I find a cache, I produce a personal geocoin with a symbol of the country. So this quarter, I have finished the sixth country and I'm putting my Malaysia Geocoin on sale. I am convinced all the Malaysians will know what it represents.

If you want more information about the project, just go to my website

And if you want to buy one of the coins (the other countries are still available too) just go to my Webshop

And here is the coin. Hope you guys like it ! Let me know what you think

smallmalaysia.jpg

Ellandel - Geocaching around the planet

Just a quick note to say howdy to all of you! I live in the mountains in the state of Maryland on the east coast of the USA. I will be in the Kuala Lumpur region of Malaysia from about July 17 to the beginning of August on a consulting job. I will try to find a few caches while I am there, and I will try to bring a few Psycho Urban Cache refrigerator magnets with me to leave in a cache somewhere. --Vinny of Vinny & Sue Team

Just a quick update on my earlier note, as I prepare to head out the door for my trip. In short order, I will be staying for over 2 weeks in a hotel just two miles from the location of Tiara Premier Cup (GCGE09), near KL, and this is one of the caches in the KL area which I plan to hunt. And, at the request of a cacher from another part of Malaysia who has alerted me to the fact that this cache may need maintenance, I will bring along my cache maintenance kit as well when I visit this and any other caches in Malaysia, and I will try to perform any maintenance as needed, and will also note any such activities in my online log entries. --Vinny

Just a quick update on my earlier note, as I prepare to head out the door for my trip. In short order, I will be staying for over 2 weeks in a hotel just two miles from the location of Tiara Premier Cup (GCGE09), near KL, and this is one of the caches in the KL area which I plan to hunt. And, at the request of a cacher from another part of Malaysia who has alerted me to the fact that this cache may need maintenance, I will bring along my cache maintenance kit as well when I visit this and any other caches in Malaysia, and I will try to perform any maintenance as needed, and will also note any such activities in my online log entries. --Vinny

Weclome to Malaysia. Hope to see your updates soon!

Hi, I'm a geocacher from Canberra, Australia. I started Geocaching just this year. I will be in KL for 2 days in November and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for which caches I should go for during my visit. I visited Malaysia several years ago so I wont be doing much of the touristy stuff this time round. Also my uncle, who lives in KL, should be with me the whole time so I'm pretty sure I will be able to get anywhere. But the downside is that I wont have a GPS with me. :)

Thanks for your help, :)

rubai

Hi, I'm a geocacher from Canberra, Australia. I started Geocaching just this year. I will be in KL for 2 days in November and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for which caches I should go for during my visit. I visited Malaysia several years ago so I wont be doing much of the touristy stuff this time round. Also my uncle, who lives in KL, should be with me the whole time so I'm pretty sure I will be able to get anywhere. But the downside is that I wont have a GPS with me. :ph34r:

Thanks for your help, :mad:

rubai

Hi, I think it would be a really good idea to bring your gps if you are intending to do some geocaching here and it would be best to bring from from abroad and not buy one here as they are really expensive for some reason. As for which caches to do....try them all (!) as there aren't many in KL. Hope you enjoy your trip to this beautiful and friendly country.

Hi All,

we have created a dedicated forum for GEOCACHING IN MALAYSIA.

So what is wrong with this forum that we need yet another one to keep track of?

I think it was pretty dead. If there wasnt a reply for quite some time one had to search the Malaysia thread. Actually looking at this forum made me think about a dedicated forum. I think we have 7 members after 2 days already. Considering there is maybe a total of - i guess - 20 or so of us in Malaysia, not too bad... Give it a try!!

I think it was pretty dead. If there wasnt a reply for quite some time one had to search the Malaysia thread. Actually looking at this forum made me think about a dedicated forum. I think we have 7 members after 2 days already. Considering there is maybe a total of - i guess - 20 or so of us in Malaysia, not too bad... Give it a try!!

And creating yet another venue, so that the community is split into even more forae(?) helps that how? So if your forum ends up dead we create another one, and another one etc?

Why not encourage everyone to participate here, where every geocacher is already a member (by virtue of using geocaching.com)?

And creating yet another venue, so that the community is split into even more forae(?) helps that how? So if your forum ends up dead we create another one, and another one etc?

Why not encourage everyone to participate here, where every geocacher is already a member (by virtue of using geocaching.com)?

wow! you sound angry!? my intentions were only to promote caching in MY.

I think keeping the information in geographical regions (ie: ASIA) rather than individual countries allows for "cleaner" thread searches. That way we can easily spot threads pertaining to our country of interest and allows viewing of nearby country input as well. Let's face it......if I were to travel all the way to Malaysia, I would want to visit it's neighbors as well. :wub:

(Edited by moderator to remove commercial content.)

Edited by Keystone

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a free Garmin map for Malaysia/Singapore for my GPS.... the trouble is, all the ones I've found so far (MalSing.com) require the use of a Windows computer. How about something for Mac users??? I really just need the gmapsupp.img file, if someone could tar and compress it, I'd really appreciate it. Please let me know where I can download a copy otherwise?

Will be in the area over Xmas and would love to hunt down a few caches there. ;)

Thanks in advance.

Artemisworks

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a free Garmin map for Malaysia/Singapore for my GPS.... the trouble is, all the ones I've found so far (MalSing.com) require the use of a Windows computer. How about something for Mac users??? I really just need the gmapsupp.img file, if someone could tar and compress it, I'd really appreciate it. Please let me know where I can download a copy otherwise?

Will be in the area over Xmas and would love to hunt down a few caches there. :ph34r:

Thanks in advance.

Artemisworks

Have you tried malfreemaps (http://www.malfreemaps.com/)?

Hi Geocachers,

I'm new to this game and residing in Kuantan, Pahang, Malaysia. Having read some of the interesting posting of experience from other member, I’m planning to place some caches around Kuantan area (Promise to place them at nice beaches, along jungle tracks, etc. where you could enjoy the great nature that Kuantan has to offer :laughing: ).

Before I start, could anyone enlighten me about the information that I should include in the notebook? Name, date, time, etc??

Hi Geocachers,

I'm new to this game and residing in Kuantan, Pahang, Malaysia. Having read some of the interesting posting of experience from other member, I’m planning to place some caches around Kuantan area (Promise to place them at nice beaches, along jungle tracks, etc. where you could enjoy the great nature that Kuantan has to offer :laughing: ).

Before I start, could anyone enlighten me about the information that I should include in the notebook? Name, date, time, etc??

I would not structure it too much. nickname, date and some free space for people to be creative in their logs will be good.

But I see you have not logged any finds yet. I would suggest you go find a number of caches first, to get a feeling of what works, what doesn't (pay attention to caches that have been muggled, and possibly why)...

Hi Geocachers,

I'm new to this game and residing in Kuantan, Pahang, Malaysia. Having read some of the interesting posting of experience from other member, I’m planning to place some caches around Kuantan area (Promise to place them at nice beaches, along jungle tracks, etc. where you could enjoy the great nature that Kuantan has to offer :) ).

I would not structure it too much. nickname, date and some free space for people to be creative in their logs will be good.

But I see you have not logged any finds yet. I would suggest you go find a number of caches first, to get a feeling of what works, what doesn't (pay attention to caches that have been muggled, and possibly why)...

Hi Sejtam,

Actually, I'm very interested to find caches before planting any per your suggestion, but the nearest I could find near my area is in Kuala Terrengganu (None in Kuantan). But I think you Lands End (light house) cache is very interesting... Is it still there?? Is so, I may try it when I'm going to the south later this year.

Hi Sejtam,

Actually, I'm very interested to find caches before planting any per your suggestion, but the nearest I could find near my area is in Kuala Terrengganu (None in Kuantan). But I think you Lands End (light house) cache is very interesting... Is it still there?? Is so, I may try it when I'm going to the south later this year.

Yeah, I see, Kuantan is very underdeveloed, cache-wise.

The problem is the usual one:

No cacher to place some nice ones, and if one (like you) gets interested, then

there is no-one there to find them (except the occasional tourist), so the

interest wanes quickly. It's not easy to get a critical mass going in an area.

But that should not stop you from trying (after finding a few). Likely when you place

your first couple of caches, someone will go for the FTF, though by experience in Malaysia

even that can take some time. There's simply not enough cachers around yet.

Your nearest ones would be

NWNW

119.4km Traditional Cache (1/1)

Size: Not chosen 2 Sep 04 Taman Negara II by Wanderbug2003 (GCKEK5)

Malaysia 10 Aug 10

SESE

142km Traditional Cache (2/4)

Size: Regular 9 Sep 03 Expedition Robinson by Wiebe&Marjon (GCGX6F)

Malaysia 27 Jul 10

both of which are quite old, but apparently had recent finds, so the chances that they are still

there are good.

I think your best bet would be to go and try a weekend in KL.

And sorry, Lands End is inactive currently. I hope to find the time to replace it again soon..

Greetings all, just thought I'd check in here. Expat living in Kota Kinabalu, where there are very few caches! I've found a few in KL and in Germany, and hope to hide one or two.

Good to see you all out there!

are you still in kota kinabalu? i've hidden 3 cache, 1 at kundasang and another 2 at ranau. :D

are you still in kota kinabalu? i've hidden 3 cache, 1 at kundasang and another 2 at ranau. :D

So you have! Yay I'm so happy! Thanks!

I did try to hide a cache once, but it got muggled. I left the container with a log book, no goodies inside, just to test the location - glad I did! So in my limited free time I will try again sometime.

Welcome BernGPS! Feel free to add me on Geocaching. I will be back in KK at the end of February and hope to start hiding some caches there. Am currently in the USA where I am enjoying the abundance of caches! I arrived here at the end of November with a total of 15 caches found, and that total is now almost at 60 found. So I'm getting a much better idea of how to hide them as well. So maybe I'll see you around there!

Welcome BernGPS! Feel free to add me on Geocaching. I will be back in KK at the end of February and hope to start hiding some caches there. Am currently in the USA where I am enjoying the abundance of caches! I arrived here at the end of November with a total of 15 caches found, and that total is now almost at 60 found. So I'm getting a much better idea of how to hide them as well. So maybe I'll see you around there!

Thanks offseid.

So far I have found 6 Geocache including yours :) . Have readied a future cache to be planted not very far from your. Just need time to go and plant it before sending for review.

Thanks offseid.

So far I have found 6 Geocache including yours :) . Have readied a future cache to be planted not very far from your. Just need time to go and plant it before sending for review.

I have hidden 2 geocache now. One in Kuching and the 2nd one in Kota Kinabalu.

No I don't, but I occasionally have friends come to Malaysia from the U.S.A. so if you want to have one hand-carried over (and then sent to you via post from within Malaysia), send me an email. It might take a while to get to you, depending on when my next "courier" comes over. But it would work eventually.