60csx Freezing Position

I find that sometimes my 60csx just stops updating for no reason. If I turn the unit off and then back on, it will start working again. Anyone else have this experience? Is there a bug in the firmware or something? I've updated everything as of a few weeks ago, but this is still happening. I can zoom in and out and use the unit, but my position and heading seem to not change and the only way to fix this is to cycle the power to the unit.

Yes I too am seeing this on rare occasions. What I have noticed is that it is the mapping application that is frozen. All other screens seem to be fine and updating. I asked Garmin Tech support about it and they suggested I upgrade; that was a while ago and I did upgrade, but it happened again this past weekend. I found a new upgrade on line and decided to see if that fixes it. I have not had a chance to use my GPSr since then.

When it happens I find that power off/on cycle solves the problem. So it is a minor hick-up.

I had a variation of it. When I try to move the cursor to another point on the map, it won't move. It's stuck in the current location. The only way to get it to move again is to power off and on. It happened to me once when I was using fw 2.9. I haven't tired fw 3 yet so I don't know if that will have the problem.

Also, since it happened to me just once I don't know if that's a real problem. Although I remember happening to the my old 60CS, back when I was using it. It was fixed by more stable fw.

Edited by jcc123

I have had a similar lock up a few times while hiking and using the topo maps. I will first notice my position is not being updated, then when I look at the sat page, I still have several Sats fully locked on but my EPE keeps expanding beyond 100'. If I power off and back on, my EPE imediatley drops to less than 20' and my position starts to update correctly again. I have only seen this twice in many hours of use and the work around with the power cycle is a quick fix. Seems like a code bug, maybe someday they'll recreate it and get it fixed. In the mean time, it happens so rarely I can live with it.

Edited by bgarland

I have had this happen however I notice it not only in maps but system wide especially when moving around a lot of menus. I don't have to turn off, it just 'freezes' for about 4 seconds then jumps around and does everything I told it to do real quick. It gets annoying but I've learned to live with this minor bug.

I have had this happen however I notice it not only in maps but system wide especially when moving around a lot of menus. I don't have to turn off, it just 'freezes' for about 4 seconds then jumps around and does everything I told it to do real quick. It gets annoying but I've learned to live with this minor bug.

I've seen this before...seems like the CPU is super busy or something and waits to respond to button commands until whatever the CPU is busy with is completes.

YES...under very specific circumstances and with some interesting side effects.

The MAP freezes but the position is actually being updated.

Proof: switching to the compass screen and displaying speed, distance etc - all of the raw data continues to update.

I've observed this freeze occurs almost always when I've been driving, stop to park the car and get out to walk to the cache.

My suspicion is it has to do with the heading information being switched from GPS to compass: in the compass setup page, threshold speed and duration can be set.

Extremely predicable - it's always when I get out of the car and I have to power down the unit and power back up to "unstick" the map.

Worth noting I have a 1GB card and every type of map installed except BlueChart so perhap it is a map issue. I'll try operating with just Metroguide and see if it continues locking.

Arpegio: would you check your compass page next time this happens, call up speed and distance data fields and tell us if the raw data is still updated?

Edited by af895

It doesn't bother me that much. All the benefits far outweigh the minor burps once in awhile. For me I might see this freeze once every 40 hours of use. Practically non existent. I guess if you need perfection you can wait for new products to stabilize for a few years before you purchase them. The new technology provides such greatly improved performance, I am OK with putting up with a few code bugs while they smooth it out.

WOW, yet ANOTHER thread about more problems with the 60 'X' series... :laughing:

Was considering one, but not anymore. I don't need to throw away hundreds of dollars on something that just doesn't the way it should. :laughing:

Team360: someone else in the forum posted about their 60CS. They indicated, when it first came out some years ago, it too had glitches which Garmin stomped over time through firmware revisions.

I have little doubt the 60CSx will eventually get to the same point.

The glitches aren't overly problematic and you learn to adapt.

All that aside, I might never have bought a GPS if they didn't have memory expansion capability like the "Cx" series. I'm a map whore. :laughing:

Edited by af895

Same thing here. 1Gb card, topo and metroguide.

From time to time, I try to move the cursor on the map, but it's frozen for about 10 seconds, or it will just move reeeaaallly slowly, as if the CPU is overcharged.

Sometimes, it happens on the compass page, where even if I turn around, the pointer doesn't change direction for 5-10 seconds. I just have to wait a little bit and it comes back by itself.

I believe it will be fixed in the future firmware releases. I trust them.

The problem af895 describes is exactly what I am experiencing. I have the stock 60CSX; never touched the memory card. I have about 55meg of maps and 13000 custom POI (about 1.4 meg of data). So, large map data would seem to not be the issue. It happens so rarely for me that I will have a hard time spotting it when it is starting. Next time it does, I'll make some notes.

Those reading this and being discouraged from buying this unit due to flaws: note that it is not perfect, but it is much better than most of the GPSrs which are.

I have a 60Cx (and a 60C) and USED TO regularly see the problem of my distance/bearing freezing after I had been navigating to a waypoint in my truck (and plugged into the cigarette lighter) by using the "Go To" function and "Follow Road" (with City Select v.7) then selecting "Stop Navigation" when arriving to where I would start hiking. After stopping navigation I would go to Find and select the waypoint I had been navigating to. (It happened to both my 60C and 60Cx so it is not related to the microSD card).

I like to just look at the waypoint screen to watch my distance/bearing indicated in the "From Current Location" data when on the waypoint screen. I would not select the Map or Go To screen, just walk and watch to see the distance and bearing guide me to the geocache.

This is where the distance/bearing USED TO freeze. All the time. On the basic waypoint screen. If I then selected the Map screen (still heading to the waypoint) the distance and bearing would be correctly updating in the upper right corner of the Map screen. Wierd. It must have been due to either going from Auxillary power to Battery power, or going from Navigating to Stop Navigating. I would have to cycle the power off/on to correct this. That was the backgound of my problem.

Well, it does not do this anymore! After updating to the latest firmware v.3.0/software v.2.70 I've repeated these steps several times today and it functions perfectly! Looks like my little glitch of a problem has been addressed with the updates. It never really was a biggie but nice to see all working great now. Nice job Garmin (and the SiRF folks)!

WOW, yet ANOTHER thread about more problems with the 60 'X' series... :anitongue:

Was considering one, but not anymore. I don't need to throw away hundreds of dollars on something that just doesn't the way it should. :rolleyes:

Harsh conclusion. I have had Garmin units for many years and just got a 60CSx. One thing I can say is that Garmin is constantly improving on the firmware and updates even older units regularly. Whenever I had a problem I looked for a firmware update and sure as heckfire, there was one and oh how surprising, they fixed the problems I bumped into.

I am wondering what firmware revisions those folks are running and if updating to 3.0/2.7 would eventually turn their problems into vapor.

Jan

WOW, yet ANOTHER thread about more problems with the 60 'X' series... :)

Was considering one, but not anymore. I don't need to throw away hundreds of dollars on something that just doesn't the way it should. :(

I have a 60CSx and been doing geocaching for about 3 months now. I couldn't be hapier with my GPS.

Remember, the 60CSx is very popular, there are many people using and reporting problems and Garmin has been very good updating the firmware to solve them. In a few more months, the 60CSx will be even more stable.

You will have a better and tested GPS unit than others but that's up to you to decide where to spend your $.

Regards,

Luis Sismeiro

(TEAM 360 @ Jul 21 2006, 04:39 PM)

WOW, yet ANOTHER thread about more problems with the 60 'X' series... :)

Was considering one, but not anymore. I don't need to throw away hundreds of dollars on something that just doesn't [WORK] the way it should. :)

Using that line of reasoning every computer and every piece of software ever made wouldn't meet your expectations either. :( Nothing is perfect and to expect otherwise is not living in the real world. Yes there have been problems with the 60 series, the 76 series, and the Meridian Platinum, etc, etc. I think that when you weigh the performance vs the problems, they work quite well. A number of the problems (like the "D") have been solved and feedback from owners has helped to eliminate several more. I'm happy with my 60CSx.

Add this to the mix: a friend of mine just bought an eTrex Legend Cx today. I helped her set up her unit with the same maps and waypoints I'm using.

HER unit appeared to freeze at one point with a reboot the only way to unfreeze - very much like my 60CSx.

Hmmm. Could this be a MAP issue, not one specific to hardware?

Oh, Garmin?

She and I plan to cache a lot more together this summer so I'll be able to compare both eTrex and 60 "Cx" models side by side.

WOW, yet ANOTHER thread about more problems with the 60 'X' series... :(

Was considering one, but not anymore. I don't need to throw away hundreds of dollars on something that just doesn't the way it should. :)

Maybe you'd consider my GPS45? It is fully mature and because there were no firmware updates back when these came out, you can rest assured it was fully tested and all the bugs worked out prior to release.

Interested? :)

I had a map freeze today. The other screens were still updating. It looks like it happened either from car=>foot or from route=>cancel route. I could get to map setup, but toggling from North Up to Track Up wouldn't change anything. I also had no error circle around the cursor.

When we got back in the car, it would update the position, but still wouldn't let me change from North Up to Track Up. Then I cycled fully through all of the screens and (I think) turned routing back on and full function came back.

So if you get this freeze, try enabling/disabling routing and see if that unfreezes it?

I'm 3.0/2.7 software. City Nav v8. Stock 64m card.

Yep, I would wait. Having the unit freeze for 5 seconds occasionally surely outweighs all the other huge advantages you get with these units. Maybe you can jump in in a year or two.

Oh wait, someone down the list said Garmin fixed it already with the new firmware...well, you better just hold off to be sure....

better safe than sorry.

WOW, yet ANOTHER thread about more problems with the 60 'X' series... :(

Was considering one, but not anymore. I don't need to throw away hundreds of dollars on something that just doesn't the way it should. :)

WOW, yet ANOTHER thread about more problems with the 60 'X' series... :D

Was considering one, but not anymore. I don't need to throw away hundreds of dollars on something that just doesn't the way it should. :(

Maybe you'd consider my GPS45? It is fully mature and because there were no firmware updates back when these came out, you can rest assured it was fully tested and all the bugs worked out prior to release.

Interested? <_<

Hmmmm....uh, no. I also have a Magellan Nav1000 (beat THAT one!) I can use...but it only gives two digits on the end of the coords, instead of three...and it's a bit heavy with the 6 AA batts it sucks down...

I'll stick with my Magellan Gold for now.

Looking back on my 60C, I really only used the map and compass screens, and that's it...the Gold has all the stuff I will ever need, anyhow...

Works for me. :D