A Little Help Getting Started...?

Bugler921

Hey, I'm pretty much totally new here. I've been geocaching with a few people I know and it's a blast. I figure it's time to get my own GPS and get out and have some fun. I need a GPS that isn't too expensive, but will serve its purpose (mostly for hiking around and geocaching). What is my best bet? I'd preferably like to find something under $150 or so. I don't know too much about GPS units, their features, and the pricing, so any help I could get would be absolutely great! Thanks!

Bugler921

Hey, I'm pretty much totally new here. I've been geocaching with a few people I know and it's a blast. I figure it's time to get my own GPS and get out and have some fun. I need a GPS that isn't too expensive, but will serve its purpose (mostly for hiking around and geocaching). What is my best bet? I'd preferably like to find something under $150 or so. I don't know too much about GPS units, their features, and the pricing, so any help I could get would be absolutely great! Thanks!

Bugler921

You can get a Garmin Legend for about $125 on-line (Amazon, for example). Anything you get from Garmin, Magellan, or Lowrance should be okay. From owner comments I've read, I'd stay away from Bell GPSs.

If you can spend just a bit more, check eBay for a "new, old stock" now-discontinued Garmin Legend C.

You might get one for $179.00, or less, since the new 'x' series came out.

It holds the signal better, the color screen is easier to see, and later, if you purchase the maps, it will be capable of auto-routing you around unfamiliar areas.

Ditto on the eTrex Legend. Its around $120 and has enough features where you won't be looking to upgrade in 6 months.

Miragee's idea of looking for a Legend C at discount is a good one. I hear Target was liquidating them for $120 not log ago. Not bad for a unit that was selling for $280 a year ago. You might be able to find one as a closeout somewhere. Don't spend more than around $180 though, because for $200 you can get the newest Garmin, the Venture CX with expandible memory.

Edited by briansnat

I got the Lowrance H2O with mapping software, SD card, and SD writer for about $200. Not bad for a full topo mapping setup. The GPS itself is about $120 for the older non-color version.

The Garmins mentioned are good units, if you like Magellan, the Explorist 210 is a good choice for a new cacher. All can load cache waypoints from the computer, which saves you a lot of button pushing and potential errors.

Really, you don't need much GPS to cache. I would highly recomend the ability to connect it to the computer to transfer cache locations. Other than that, it just depends on what's important to you.

Just about any on the market are pretty good. Don't think that more expensive means better though. what you want to look for is durability. The rubber casing, waterproof, and the such. Garmins are probably the toughest as they have been around a little longer in the hand held market, but mY Magellan has lasted through many drops and a few dunkings, so it is pretty good. best thing to look for is ease of use as well. Doesn't matter if it's $100, or $1000 if you can't figure it out, it does ya no good. Hope that helps

Wow, all this help has been fantastic! I've done a whole bunch of research, I decided that the PC connectivity would be a good idea, and now I'm thinking about either the Magellan eXplorist 210 or the Garmin eTrex Legend. Amazon has some good prices (compared to other places I've seen). Any other recommendations or ideas? Thanks a million!

Bugler921

I got the Lowrance H2O with mapping software, SD card, and SD writer for about $200. Not bad for a full topo mapping setup. The GPS itself is about $120 for the older non-color version.

The Garmins mentioned are good units, if you like Magellan, the Explorist 210 is a good choice for a new cacher. All can load cache waypoints from the computer, which saves you a lot of button pushing and potential errors.

Really, you don't need much GPS to cache. I would highly recomend the ability to connect it to the computer to transfer cache locations. Other than that, it just depends on what's important to you.

The Lowrance H2O is an excellent choice. If you get the H20 Plus package (like K7sei did) you''ll have unit with most of the the bells and whistle you will eve want, including mapping, software for $200. Any other mapping unit you buy you'll have to add about $100 to the price if you want the mapping software (and you will).

Edited by briansnat

Wow, all this help has been fantastic! I've done a whole bunch of research, I decided that the PC connectivity would be a good idea, and now I'm thinking about either the Magellan eXplorist 210 or the Garmin eTrex Legend. Amazon has some good prices (compared to other places I've seen). Any other recommendations or ideas? Thanks a million!

Bugler921

I will echo the legend -it is a fine unit!

It's nice to see that Lowrance now gets recognized as a good GPS. I enjoyed my iFinder before I broke it. Now I've gone mainstream and got a Garmin legend. I have nothing bad to say for it although I wish it was made for use in the right hand. That's such a small detail though, don't let it affect your ideas.

We go the Magellan 210 Explorist on Amazon for 149 with a 30 dollar rebate. I Froogled GPS units and that's the best deal I came up with. Husband is good with the tech stuff and he loves it. I am the communications secretary for the team. :) We did a bit of research and he can download the info onto the unit in seconds, altho we still print out the pages and put them in a binder for the kids to decrypt the clues which we desperately need! :(

have fun!