New To Gps Equip - Need Advice

egami

Hi, I am new to looking at GPS devices, looking for a quick couple opinions...

What to avoid.

What are the 'must haves'.

What is the most accurate brand(s).

Any other advice appreciated. New to GPS, new to Geocaching. Also, any advice on best places to buy for low prices.

Thx!

I'll get the ball rolling and I'm sure a dozen people will chime in afterwards.

First, I would recommend getting a receiver that can be connected to a computer. Most of the newer GPS receivers connect via USB, but some of the older ones like the grayscale Garmin eTrex (not LegendC, etc) line connect via serial port. Being able to connect your GPSr to a computer means you can send waypoints and maps to it. You can also connect the GPSr to a laptop (if you have one) and use it in conjunction with a program like MS Streets and Trips to get spoken driving directions. Computer connectivity also allows for updating the firmware on the receiver. This is often overlooked. Occasionally GPS manufacturers release new firmware that adds new features to the GPS receiver or fixes existing problems. I should mention that it is possible to manually enter waypoints into a GPSr, but it can be time consuming and opens up the possibility of a data entry error. It really stinks to incorrectly enter coordinates and find yourself in the wrong place. I've done it. My first receiver was a Magellan eXplorist 100 (which I just sold) with no computer connectivity. However, it was good enough to get me about 250 finds.

One thing you'll need to decide is if you want to use the GPSr for autorouting and if you want to use maps with it. The built-in basemap in GPS receivers isn't very detailed, typically including only the interstates, US highways, and state highways. You can buy street routing software for the receiver that will give you detailed maps and turn-by-turn directions. Topographic maps are also available that show elevation as well as other natural features. If you want to use maps, it is highly advised that you get a receiver with expandable memory. In other words, one that takes a microSD or SD card. To give you an idea of how much space maps take up, the rectangular area from Madison WI to Indianapolis IN (including Chicago) required 20MB using DirectRoute v2. I would also recommend looking at a receiver with a color display if you want to use maps. It makes the maps easier to read, though I've been getting along just fine with my grayscale eXplorist 400.

As for accuracy, you probably mean which reception. The best right now are the SiRF receiver-equipped Garmin GPSmap 60Cx, 60CSx, 76Cx, and 76CSx. Those units have a color screen and use a microSD card for storage. Very close to those Garmins are the Magellan eXplorists, which use SD cards for storage and can be either grayscale or color screen. See a comparison of those units' reception capabilities here. Lowrance units are also known for performing well and being a good value. I don't know much about them and not too many people here in the forum use them. Most use Garmin or Magellan. Here is a long-running topic showing which GPS receivers people use and a tally of which are the most popular.

One thing someone will bring up is the difference between Garmin's and Magellan's customer service. Garmin's is excellent. There are many stories here about Garmin replacing units that were damaged by the action of the user or even out of warranty. For most people, Magellan's service leaves something to be desired. I have had a fairly good experience with Magellan but I think my case is an anomaly.

The last thing I will recommend is going to a brick and mortar store to touch and feel the receivers. Some units will feel right, some won't. Get something you feel comfortable using. There are so many places to buy a receiver that I won't get into it. I've bought my 3 GPSrs at 3 different places. I will say that I had a good experience with TigerGPS involving an exchange. Amazon can have very good pricing on occasion too, plus they're a good reputable place to deal with. Little known fact: If an item you purchase from them goes down in price within 30 days, ask them for a credit. A couple weeks after I bought an eXplorist 210 from them, the price went down $25. They gave me a refund in that amount. As for looking up prices, you can always try using Froogle or PriceGrabber. Though you have to be careful as some unscrupulous vendors are listed. You can read reviews of online stores at ResellerRatings.com.

I'm sure I left something out, but these are some things to think about.

I just recently got hooked on geocaching, so I'll give my input. I wasn't sure how "into" this I would get, so didn't want to spend a lot on a unit. It came down to the Garmin Legend Cx and a couple of Magellan units (300 and 400, as I recall). I had a Magellan 360 for the car, and am very happy with it. But, I went with the Garmin, primarily due to it's features and comments from the posts in this forum, and am very pleased with it.

For the best deal, I used Froogle, Bizrate.com and Pricegrabber.com. I checked prices for at least two weeks before deciding where to buy, but found that the prices could change from day-to-day. I ended up paying $234 to an outfit in Bellingham, WA. I think the name was CascadeGPS or something similar to that, but I can't find the name now. I was very pleased with them--I also ordered City Navigator V8 at the same time, and they called within 10 minutes of placing the order to let me know that wasn't in yet and would ship later.

So, if you're patient and look around, you'll be able to get a good deal.

First, even though there were only two replies, thanks for the advice.

I am a patient buyer, perhaps too patient at times, but I always like getting the best deal. :rolleyes:

Any more input or advice would be much appreciated...

Also, I leaning toward a GPS / PDA device...any specific recommendations in that area would be much appreciated. Looking at like the Garmin iQue M3.

Thanks all!

Edited by egami

I wouldn't get the iQue for Geocaching because it is too fragile and I don't think the battery will last as long as a hand held GPSr. The iQue might be good for car navigation. A friend got on on eBay for only $250.00. :rolleyes:

I have a Vista C, which was discontinued when the 'x' version came out.

I like the small size for hiking and it can also auto-route me with the City Select software installed.

A friend recently purchased, on eBay, a GPS Map60CS for only $250.00, since that model has been discontinued. It has 56 MB of memory and can hold 1000 waypoints.

A PDA that will work great for Geocaching doesn't have to be fanicier than a monochrome Palm M500. You can probably get one of those on eBay for less than $40.00 including the shipping.

Battery life is 5-7 hours...so, ya I think your model gets like up to 20 hours.

Something to consider for sure. Although, I like the PDA ability...not too worried about durability...I've carried a normal PDA around before on hiking and camping trips.

Hm...thanks for the input! :rolleyes:

Hi, I am new to looking at GPS devices, looking for a quick couple opinions...

What to avoid.

What are the 'must haves'.

What is the most accurate brand(s).

Any other advice appreciated. New to GPS, new to Geocaching. Also, any advice on best places to buy for low prices.

Thx!

I suggest you look at the Garmin website and decide which model fits you best as there are many out there.

Each one gives you a good description of the size, battery life, and what the gps is capable of. Many don't have the electronic compass feature and personally, I like it. That means that while you are not moving in the bush, the compass will still give you a true reading of where you are heading. The other ones don't. When you stop in the bush, you won't get a true reading of where you are going until you start moving again.

I suggest you look at the Garmin website and decide which model fits you best as there are many out there.

Each one gives you a good description of the size, battery life, and what the gps is capable of.

Yes, I've spent much time looking at Garmin and Magellan sites. :D

Many don't have the electronic compass feature and personally, I like it. That means that while you are not moving in the bush, the compass will still give you a true reading of where you are heading. The other ones don't. When you stop in the bush, you won't get a true reading of where you are going until you start moving again.

Thanks, that's the kind of tips / info. I am looking for...I can sort through much of the tech stuff and figure out the best device for my money based on needs, I just don't want to overlook a feature that practical application would show me is a need.

Since I am an extreme novice...whatever we call outselves. :P