Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
ElevenBravo

Icom Ic-t7h -> Good Radio For Outdoor Use?

Simply put, Im an outdoors person. GCing is 1/2 my hobby, the other is hiking. But, I hike in areas that there IS NO PHONE COVERAGE. :-)

Im wanting a dual band radio to maximize my comm ability (2M alone may not cut it). At the current, Im looking at the Icom IC-T7H.

For single band 2M, Im also looking at Alinco DJ-V17T, mainly because it promised 3m submerge for 30 min.

Ill be out in incliment weather at times, from mist to downpour and want a radio that will stand up to this environment.

My spending limit is about $240 w/ship.

Suggestions? Feedeback? Ideas? Just use ziplock freezer bags:-) ?

Thanks...

KI4QFY Andrew

BTW, check my website for some ebay auctions, Im selling my excess to buy the radio. :-0

http://th3ub3rg33k.com

well i cannot give you any feedback on either of those radios. but i do have a suggestion.

if you areee an arrl member goto the arrl website and you can view reviews on different radios. theres also eham.net that does reviews and such on ham gear and has user feedback as well. those might help you make a decision.

Personally, i goto HRO and check them out in person, and then buy them cheaper at AES online. :laughing:

Thanks for the reply Nero. Im not an ARRL member, havent decided if I want/need to.

Ive been to eham and read up on about 4 that Ive narrowed it down to. The Yasue dual band one they have is waterproof, but its $249. Either that or an Alinco dual band for $209 with free ship. If I get the Alinco, then I can also get the high gain ant and speaker mic and add up to what the Yasue is... Plus the Alinco is BNC.

Decisions.. Decisions. If only Alinco made there dual band like the one VHF they have, fully waterproof.

I dont have a HRO near me, nor is there ANY ham store near me (that I know of). Theres a Hamfest next month, but Ill be damned if Im waiting another full month to buy a rig... for the same price I can get on-line. :-)

Thanks again..

Andrew

Edited by ElevenBravo

I have two of the Alinco's and have used them extensively. One I use now primarily for APRS (it's the older one, a T7A, the T7H I use as a straight HT. Both have served well, the T7A I have had for 8 years and the H for about five. Not one problem with either one. It was worth it to me to by the software to program them using my computer and then just loading it into the HT.

There is an HRO in Woodbridge , Va.....you could make a Saturday trip out of it and do some 'caching in that area, too.

I got my VX-7R for a (relative) song at AES and I live right near their Cleveland store. If you're not interested in 6m, go with the VX-6R and you get more power on 222.

A caching friend who helped push me into getting my ticket nearly fell over when he heard what AES was selling the 7R for when he compared what he paid a few years ago.

Ox

I will second the suggestion for the VX-7R; my wife and I each own one of those and they are an amazingly good radio. The '7R is PC programmable, receives very well and is easy to operate. Being waterproof/submersible (Yaesu dunked one at Dayton a couple of years ago) is a big advantage.

Check the Yahoo Groups for this radio if you need more info from those who own them..... a very popular radio.

If you are looking for a Tri-bander (2 mtrs/220/440) I don't think there is a better HT around than the Kenwood TH-6A. It has full power on 220, can monitor two discrete frequencies at the same time, has the capability to recieve (only) HF and 6 M plus most of the bands above 440. It is small, but has great audio, and the price is outstanding. It is my favorite of all three of my HT's and is the one I take when I travel and don't have much room but want a lot of versatility. (Now if only they made an HT that would transmit on HF SSB ....hmmmm) :laughing:

Well, mark this up as lessons learned.

I got a used rig, it was (read:was) a dang fine unit! Dual bander too.. then... it went for a drink. Ruined, absolutly ruined. Tore it down, hair dryer, etc.. dead. Dang. I didnt even have it 24 hours.

So.. I went with what was my FIRST intent... VX-6R. Man, this is a NICE radio! Should last me several years, and weather/drinking :-) should not be an issue. The battery last a LONG time, even on 5W!! I like its got 4 power levels, so I can adjust down to what I need.

At Carvin's Cove, Tinker Mtn is within sight on one side, and can hit it with .5W. I havent tried on the Rt.311 side, yet, but will.. cause a bunch of my favorite hiking trails is on that side.

Also, Im working with K4IJ that runs serveral *linked* rpts (including the UFH on Tinker) to put up a linked patch. That will be VERY nice to have when hiking! I hope to run the ctrl at my house and run it off a broadband phone, so we can allow L/D landline calls. :-) We will probly CA it and give the code to a few, then one of us can bring it up if someone needs it.

Anyway, this is my follow up.

73's... 11B

Edited by ElevenBravo

I own an IC-T7H. The original battery is of course dead, but the rechargeable NiCd AA cell battery compartment does the trick. The HT is all right, but it doesn't include TNC or GPSr. If it did, I'd carry it all the time while geocaching.

Do I get it right that there is still no all-in-one HT which would include APRS and GPSr? The old TH-D7A(G) is the only option even today?

I own an IC-T7H. The original battery is of course dead, but the rechargeable NiCd AA cell battery compartment does the trick. The HT is all right, but it doesn't include TNC or GPSr. If it did, I'd carry it all the time while geocaching.

Do I get it right that there is still no all-in-one HT which would include APRS and GPSr? The old TH-D7A(G) is the only option even today?

Maybe the Byonics TinyTrack would work.

I have a T7H and it is OK. My old 2AT was stolen but I replaced it with a used one. Like the Squelch feature and tone input for landlines. Carry T7H always on treks but am doubtful on WX proof. Plastic covers are available. Look for marine use ht's. Batt. life is a few hrs. on T7H but I carry extra batt pack that takes AA's. Radio gets hot after a few min. QSO. I take batt pack off when not using, seems to extend good charge.

Have had to use for emergency work when in coast range mts. and 5w is fine if you are up high.

Hope to get XYL a ticket so when out climbing in the bush can have comms. Cell doesn't always work and runs up time.

73's

Randy N7GFK