Is Caching Seasonal

Alboy

Given that this is my first summer caching I realise that I'm not speaking from a position of a whole lot of experience, but I get the impression that cachers and caching seem to slow down in the summer, whereas I was expecting things to get busier. :o

I thought more caches would get placed, more logs would appear on those caches I watch, more coins would be buzzing around, more people would be on the forums etc etc but my impression is that everyone is taking it nice and easy! :laughing::o

Maybe I was hoping for too much and everyone has better things to do in the summer?! Maybe it's just too hot (though I have felt this for a while)

Just me? :unsure:

I'm in the same position as you. The last week or so has been very slow and i've had almost no logs on my watchlist. Whereas in May/June it was very busy. ALthough I can hardly talk as I was fairly active but havn't had the chance recently (but there are other reasons for that)

So chop-chop people......

I think the weather is having a big effect, few weeks back I had a week off and the weather was perfect for cache hunting and I got in some good walking distances between caches.

This week I've had another week off and only done 3 caches - it's just too hot to walk any great distance

as said previously - its too hot to be bothered at the moment!

plus tree cover this time of year makes many caches easier to find come the autumn and winter.

given a choice, id rather be soaking my hot feet in a pool, rather than caching (much as i love caching) - instead i have to work 5 days a week with an indoor temperature of 30-35 degrees!

oh well, bring on the rain! :laughing:

as said previously - its too hot to be bothered at the moment!

plus tree cover this time of year makes many caches easier to find come the autumn and winter.

given a choice, id rather be soaking my hot feet in a pool, rather than caching (much as i love caching) - instead i have to work 5 days a week with an indoor temperature of 30-35 degrees!

oh well, bring on the rain! :laughing:

NO!! not the rain please. I love to cache in the snow and the frost but hate the rain.

It is way too hot to be comfortable outside at the moment.

We do go out and cache but the heat really gets to you after an hour or so.

And them wee nastie beasties that bite ya!! :o

Roll on some cooler weather!

With regard to cache setting, I think caches are better placed in Autumn and Winter. They seem to be secreeted better than those placed in Summer. This, of course is NOT a guaranteed thing but I have seen caches placed in Summer being left completely exposed by the time the leaves have fallen from the trees and the vegetation/foliage has receeded! More thought is taken into consideration when hidden without relying on nettles / thorns / bushes etc for cover.

Agree the weather, as brilliant as it is, has slowed down some people, but the kids finishing school for the Summer today in most places will certainly make a difference. Now people can travel on their holidays to new caching areas. All the same there are still a lot of caches being found by geocachers, there is always that slow trickle. What we have found as a great advantage with this weather is being able to ignore all those cache sheets that worn you it 'may well be muddy', wellies in the garage for the next month or so....great! :D:laughing:

Like SP, I've had a busy month, with almost 70 finds. This is mainly due to having to drive up to the Hull area for work at the moment, so I've found lots of Motorway Mayhem type caches, and taking the opportunity to find several in the Hull area. At least most of them have been found with only a short walk from the comfort of an airconditioned car.