60csx Autorouting And Shutdown Error

Started experiencing rather strange behaviour at times with the unit. Usually when navigating to a cache which is off a road, the unit will autonavigate to the closest point to the cache and then command you to leave the road in a direct path to the cache. This is normal, and have always experienced the same behaviour with other units.

Occasionally however the unit goes absolutely nuts. It would route in entirely the opposite direction and route until it reaches the end of the loaded mapset and then perform a u-turn and route back to the cache. This typically ends up in the unit wanting me to route on a 2000km trip despite the fact that I’m a mere 3km from the cache. I first thought it may be a problem with the road on the mapset. I created a waypoint on the road to test this theory and the unit routed fine.

In addition, when the unit does this it automatically shuts down. When starting the unit up again, it immediately starts calculating and if I do not cancel the calculation it shuts down again.

Anyone else experience this?

I have. Don't know yet whether it resolves the shutdown problem, but certainly does not solve routing problem.

Example below:-

Direct route from position to waypoint 53, distance 4.2km

05.gif

Navigating to this point using, distance 2068km

02.gif

Navigating to the nearest road point, distance 4.91km

03.gif

Here's another example of where I've created an arbitrary waypoint about 800m from a road and requested to be routed to it. GPSr has beahved correctly by navigating to the nearest point per road and then taken a direct route to the waypoint from that point

07.gif08.gif

I had something similiar happen I just have the base maps and was within 200 ft of the cache and when I switched screens it wanted toroute me 20 miles down the road had me do a uturn and comeback

Aha, now you've touched on something which I quickly tested. I routed to a waypoint which provided a really strange route which would ignore some of the roads. I then switched the map off and noticed that it had followed the roads on loaded maps to a certain point and then switched to the base map, and not those on the loaded map.

What I find strange though is that if a waypoint is created that is on a road on the loaded map, it routes fine on the map. If the waypoint is not on the road on the loaded map, it seems to sometimes switch to the base map

Is this a unit problem, or a problem with the maps? Seems the unit gets somewhat confused, sometimes using base map, sometimes loaded map. And it seems to switch between the two at certain points through the route?

I must add that when I perform the routing in Mapsource, there are no routing issues, only happens on the GPSr

Edited by GlobalRat

I had something similiar happen I just have the base maps and was within 200 ft of the cache and when I switched screens it wanted toroute me 20 miles down the road had me do a uturn and comeback

Aha, now you've touched on something which I quickly tested. I routed to a waypoint which provided a really strange route which would ignore some of the roads. I then switched the map off and noticed that it had followed the roads on loaded maps to a certain point and then switched to the base map, and not those on the loaded map.

What I find strange though is that if a waypoint is created that is on a road on the loaded map, it routes fine on the map. If the waypoint is not on the road on the loaded map, it seems to sometimes switch to the base map

Is this a unit problem, or a problem with the maps? Seems the unit gets somewhat confused, sometimes using base map, sometimes loaded map. And it seems to switch between the two at certain points through the route?

I must add that when I perform the routing in Mapsource, there are no routing issues, only happens on the GPSr

Please notify Garmin so that they can include this in their next FW update.

I've had this thing happen for routing to one nearby cache. It ran the route up to Canada and u-turned back down I-5 to exit onto hwy 2 to the cache. About 185 miles rather than 15miles. I then tried it on my (older version of ) metroguide on just the computer. Same route, same results. It's not the unit, it's is something to do with the mapset.

I’ve been speaking to the software vendor and based on some further analysis I’ve done, I’m starting to think that the autorouting problem is predominantly related to the mapset as opposed to the unit. But will post a response once I get a response from them.

Of concern though is still the unit’s tendency to shutdown when calculations seem to get too complex. In all cases the unit was being powered from the cigarette lighter. What causes this shutdown?

Once I was traveling from indiana to oklahoma. I loaded all the maps up from home to there and began my journey. The 60csx kept giving me a screwy route.

Turns out I had missed the map that had the "effingham" corner of I-70 on it. Even though the basemap has I-70 I had not loaded the city select V6 map for that few mile part of I-70. Nothing I could do would make it routh on that part of I-70. My old GPSV would routh through loaded maps to basemap OK but not the 60csx.

In my experience, if you dont have ALL the maps loaded for the route you are taking then then 60csx will NOT route correctly.

Now that I have a 1 gig card I never have this problem but back then I still had the small card that came with it and so had to pick and choose my maps.

I’ve been speaking to the software vendor and based on some further analysis I’ve done, I’m starting to think that the autorouting problem is predominantly related to the mapset as opposed to the unit. But will post a response once I get a response from them.

Of concern though is still the unit’s tendency to shutdown when calculations seem to get too complex. In all cases the unit was being powered from the cigarette lighter. What causes this shutdown?

Received confirmation from the software vendor that it appears to be a bug in the software. The problem seems to eminate from the Garmin software that they use to create the maps and occurs when one is attempting to navigate to "green" areas. Will see what transpires.

So, my only question left is whether the unit shutdown is caused by this bug or whether the unit has a problem when calculating long routes which causes it to power down. I haven't purposefully created a long route which I know to be correct and error free yet, which I guess is the next test. Anyone have experience of creating long routes, 1600 miles plus and experiencing unit shutdowns?

Received confirmation from the software vendor that it appears to be a bug in the software. The problem seems to eminate from the Garmin software that they use to create the maps and occurs when one is attempting to navigate to "green" areas. Will see what transpires.

So, my only question left is whether the unit shutdown is caused by this bug or whether the unit has a problem when calculating long routes which causes it to power down. I haven't purposefully created a long route which I know to be correct and error free yet, which I guess is the next test. Anyone have experience of creating long routes, 1600 miles plus and experiencing unit shutdowns?

I have not seen the loaded-map to basemap to loaded-map transition problem. Using CN v.8, I have loaded most of the Eastern half of the US, along with WA, OR, ID, & NM. Routing from MI to NM provided a nice direct route and this required routing via CN8 to basemap and back to CN8. I'll try a couple more to the Pacific NW tonite. This is with firmware 2.9/SW2.6.

I created a legit route with all maps loaded of 1400km. The route was fairly direct, motorways mainly and only had six turns. I was in a cab which was travelling through the city in another direction. The first few recalculations went well and I thought the latest firmware and chipset upgrades have resolved any problems

My joy was short lived. On the fourth recalculation the unit shutdown. I fired it up again, it did another two recalculations before shutting down again.

I guess it's time to contact Garmin again!

I've never had a shut down or a permanent lock up....I've had temprary freezes. This has to be due to corrupted maps or poor transflash contacts....I wasn't very happy with the way the transflash attaches in there. It seemed pretty touchy to me...

I created a legit route with all maps loaded of 1400km. The route was fairly direct, motorways mainly and only had six turns. I was in a cab which was travelling through the city in another direction. The first few recalculations went well and I thought the latest firmware and chipset upgrades have resolved any problems

My joy was short lived. On the fourth recalculation the unit shutdown. I fired it up again, it did another two recalculations before shutting down again.

I guess it's time to contact Garmin again!

or poor transflash contacts....I wasn't very happy with the way the transflash attaches in there. It seemed pretty touchy to me...

If this were the cause then the length of the route wouldn't matter surely? Unit only shuts down with long routes, seems in excess of 1000km.