Thales (magellan) To Be Bought

Just read that a Santa Clara, CA based investment group will be aquiring Thales Navigation.

http://sanjose.bizjournals.com/sanjose/sto...17/daily46.html

They will rename the company Magellan Navigation, and move the headquarters to the U.S. (currently in France). I wonder if this is good news, bad news, or no news for us Magellan owners?

Heres another link

http://www.magellangps.com/news/releases/v...ease.asp?id=486

Edited by salcedo

San Dimas, wasn't that the old home addy.... I hope that they can build confidence in their customers like the old Magellan...too late for me, I am now with Garmin, not looking back! Thales really srcewed it up and drove customers away.

Edited by Dirtnapper

I think the news may be good. I've had the sense that the downhill slide in customer support was due to a lack of enthusiasm in long-term growth prospects. I think Thales was just biding their time with minimal support until they could find a buyer. Now that they have, perhaps the new owners will run the business better.

I guess what I'm worried about is that they may do away with the handhelds and focus only on car based, or embedded GPS receivers. I'd noticed about a week or two ago that they dropped the prices eve further on many of the eXplorist models on their website. Of course that could just be an attempt to grab a larger share of the market.

I think the news may be good. I've had the sense that the downhill slide in customer support was due to a lack of enthusiasm in long-term growth prospects. I think Thales was just biding their time with minimal support until they could find a buyer. Now that they have, perhaps the new owners will run the business better.

Yup, I agree. Their customer support ineptness was beyond the normal level of ineptness. :huh:

Looking forward to some executive firings "retirings" soon. That's usually a good sign of a turnaround. :huh:

Now granted, I am still so new to this that I am still shiney... and I have found all of 3 caches in my week-old, new hobby, but I will say this. I bought a Magellan eXplorist 210 and it has managed to walk me within 3 feet of two of the caches and 10 on the third. Not too bad. I might change my tune if it ever craps out on me, but for now I am happy with the product.

REUTERS - "The new Magellan Navigation headquarters construction was halted temporarily today when it was found that digging had begun approximately 50 feet from the intended location..." :ph34r:

Sounds like they need to quit using thier own equipment. :ph34r::anitongue::rolleyes::ph34r::ph34r:

:ph34r:

Maybe the news has had a profound effect on the accuracy of the equipment? :ph34r:

REUTERS - "The new Magellan Navigation headquarters construction was halted temporarily today when it was found that digging had begun approximately 50 feet from the intended location..." ;)

Sounds like they need to quit using thier own equipment. :P:):):):(

:)

Maybe the news has had a profound effect on the accuracy of the equipment? :P

Yes, if 6-8 mm is not close enough maybe they should.