Delivery Confirmation On Small Bubble Envelopes?

Prowler53

I was just checking USPS website to figure shipping charges for a small bubble mailer for geocoins.

It won't give me the option for delivery convirmation for a 2 oz letter sending parcel post.

What does everyone else do for shipping coins?

If I pay shipping using paypal and print the shipping label, is delivery confirmation added?

Personally, I have'nt bothered with delivery conf or tracking. With well over 500 mailers sent and a loss rate of less than 0.5%, it just doesn't make any sense financially. It is much cheaper just to replace a lost coin...but then again...I run with scissors.

Yes 3/4 of a inch,, I usually place a old used smaller padded envelope, or shipping popcorn or bubble wrap are options to make it thicker and light, and shipping through paypal with D/C is $ 0.14 additional (well worth it) . for a single coin (and padding) is just over 2 ounces . I place 3oz of postage First Class comes to a just over buck or so, think $1.11, and need not worrie about not enough postage with delivery confermation included.

Glenn

Edited by glennk721

Personally, I have'nt bothered with delivery conf or tracking. With well over 500 mailers sent and a loss rate of less than 0.5%, it just doesn't make any sense financially. It is much cheaper just to replace a lost coin...but then again...I run with scissors.

In general, I agree. However, if the buyer wants to foot the cost of delivery confirmation (with Canada Post it's about $7 in Canada, $11 for all places outside of Canada) then, hey, it's their money.

PS you have to select (thick envelope) when buying First Class postage to get D/C through paypal.

If you want PM or email me your paypal addy, will send you 0.05 cents, and you can always void the label after trying it out,

Glenn :laughing:

Thanks for the help........I found it on paypal and you are correct. It's only .14 DC using paypal pre-paid postage with thick envelope. I think that will work if I stuff some bubble wrap in with the coin to boost the hight of the envelope to 3/4".

OK - I have sent 300 of my own coins out - 0 were lost.

. 39 cents for a mailer 000

. 63 cents for the postage

1.02 total cost to ship per US delivered coin.

Why add delivery confirmation if I can have a duplicate coin made at no charge to me?

How can you get a replacement coin for one that was lost in the mail at no charge?

The way I see it, If a coin is lost, stolen, or claimed to have never been received by the buyer then I'm going to have to refund or replace the coin at my cost.

I know it don't happen much but let's say someone orders 5 coins at $10 Shipped and it gets lost or stollen. Where is the $50 clams gonna come from to refund them?

I think .14 cents is a great deal for DC and it also gives me peace of mind and the buyer gets to see where his package is at during the shipping process.

Buying DC will only protect you from a buyer that chooses to lie about receiving the coins. If you're worried about replacing lost coins, insurance is your option.

Of the very few that I sent that went missing, I am confidant that the recipient was honest about it. In 2 cases (both in Europe), the missing coins were delivered about a week after I resent. Sometimes it just takes a while....

For 0.60 cents DC isn't that much of an extra charge. I wrap the coin and a poker chip in bubble wrap and it makes the 3/4" requirment for the post office. I always email the buyer the DC number just incase they want it. Sometimes the buyer doesn't let you know they got it, by using DC they know I sent it and I know when they received it. But to each their own. :laughing:

Paypal sends automated tracking information for D/C to the seller and buyer CC'ed on both Paypal account's when you buy the postage through Paypal,,, no extra work to do and .14 cents is just a piece of mind issue, hand them to your postal carrier at your front door, Can even request a pick up on the route at no extra charge as well. Not sure how happy the the driver would be on a coin production run :o:unsure:

Drop them inside the P/O at night (collection box) will be handeled the following morning, :laughing: exceptions would be international and the customs form having to go to a counter :o

Paypal sends automated tracking information for D/C to the seller and buyer CC'ed on both Paypal account's when you buy the postage through Paypal,,, no extra work to do and .14 cents is just a piece of mind issue, hand them to your postal carrier at your front door, Can even request a pick up on the route at no extra charge as well. Not sure how happy the the driver would be on a coin production run :o:unsure:

Drop them inside the P/O at night (collection box) will be handeled the following morning, :laughing: exceptions would be international and the customs form having to go to a counter :o

Yeap!

GlennK, your coins went out today priority mail. I actually had to drop it off at the post office because it's over 16oz. Do you want your CD #?

Yeap!

GlennK, your coins went out today priority mail. I actually had to drop it off at the post office because it's over 16oz. Do you want your CD #?

I guess I opened a can of worms here......lol. I think I'll stick with including the DC in the postage fee.

Yeap!

Only if they go missing :laughing: Glad to know my coins shipped Thanks !!

Also I have never done international via paypal, but think it (may) be possible as well,, through the USPS store I ordered (free) clear riders you place on a postal to hold the customs paper, so indeed that may be possible as well. Never have done it though, next trip to P/O will inquire. Glenn

Why add delivery confirmation if I can have a duplicate coin made at no charge to me?

no charge?

Yep - my minter has already said that if anything needs to be re-minted, there is no charge!

She has been great with my order & even sent my coin samples in ALL the different finishes!

Post Office Told Me.

Has to be 3/4" thick.

why:

post office considers anything under 3/4" think a letter and not a package. you cannot have tracking on a letter unless its priority mail.

Packages can have tracking with only 1st class.

Also, if your mailing a bubble mailer for instance and its NOT 3/4" thick, they may charge you an extra 14 cents for hand sorting since there machines cannot sort them as envelopes, BUT if its over 3/4" thick its a package so they dont do that.

its like any other government agency, lots of BS. learn it and use it to your advantage.

I use Paypal for shipping too but do not use it for my international orders. It doesn't calculate the postage correctly for international global air mail. It always wants to charge more for some reason. So I always take it to the post office. You can pull up the postal system and find out what your charges will be before you get there if you have a scale to weigh you packages and they also have the customs form to print out online to.