60csx Firmware 3.0 And Gps Software 2.7

Anyone tried this yet?

Thanks for the heads up technivore. Updated as well and will check it out. Doesn't look to be a major firmware update. Wonder what the software update contains? I too seem to get the update notices a week after the release, and find the news here on the forum!

GPS CHIPSET

Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70:

Fixed occasional problem where the GPS would report a software version of 0.0 and not track satellites.

More tunnel reacquisition improvements.

Add almanac for MSAS.

GPS FIRMWARE:

Changes made from version 2.90 to 3.00:

Fixed problem of shutdown when viewing map Topo Great Britain v2.

Improved drawing of lines for MPC maps.

Reduced variation in battery gauge indicator.

Fixed display scrolling issues when searching for roads.

After the Chipset 2.60 update I was experiencing a major problem where the GPS would not track satellites on startup about 80% of the time. I would have to turn the unit off and restart repeatedly until the GPS would track satellites. After installing the 2.70 update the problem seems to be corrected!

After the Chipset 2.60 update I was experiencing a major problem where the GPS would not track satellites on startup about 80% of the time. I would have to turn the unit off and restart repeatedly until the GPS would track satellites. After installing the 2.70 update the problem seems to be corrected!

I had the same problem. How annoying it was. It was like holding a $500 box that just said GPS on it but could never see any satellites. After updating, it works quite well. I'm a happy geocacher again.

I noticed and this since 2.9 that the calendar displays the date as MMM-DD-YYYY instead of the more logical and standard the world over of DD-MMM-YYYY (month in letter).

Note that anywhere else the format stays correct DD-MMM-YYYY.

If Garmin wants to become a world leader, they better comply to international standard.

You can't imagine how many mistakes have been made with this kind of format when the month is in numeral ! (may be even more than because of the use of inches, feet etc.... :laughing: ).

I am puzzled about the way software changes are made and tracked as one wonder why they changed this which is unrelated to all the issues they have corrected.

Hope they don't use some cheap sweatshop to carry on their programming. When you pay peanuts, you get monkeys as we say.

I noticed and this since 2.9 that the calendar displays the date as MMM-DD-YYYY instead of the more logical and standard the world over of DD-MMM-YYYY (month in letter).

If Garmin wants to become a world leader, they better comply to international standard.

If they really want to do it properly from an international standpoint, they should report it as YYYY-MMM-DD...

If they really want to do it properly from an international standpoint, they should report it as YYYY-MMM-DD...

True but DD-MMM-YYYY is still OK !

What do you mean about updating the SiRF?

The SiRF chipset has its own firmware - it's the "GPS SW" listed in the unit ID screen. The Garmin firmware is listed as "Software Version." WebUpdater will update both - you can also upload the new SiRF firmware without using WebUpdater by running the stand-alone install.

What do you mean about updating the SiRF?

The SiRF chipset has its own firmware - it's the "GPS SW" listed in the unit ID screen. The Garmin firmware is listed as "Software Version." WebUpdater will update both - you can also upload the new SiRF firmware without using WebUpdater by running the stand-alone install.

Thanks, for the answer.

True but DD-MMM-YYYY is still OK !

No, it is not OK at all. It does not appear in ISO 8601.

Jan

I didn't do a hard reset right away after updating and still had slower Acquisition times than I had had before the last updates. After doing the hard reset I was amazed at how quick this thing got lock(a few seconds). I lost my settings but the improvement I got was worth it.

If you don't know, you do a hard reset by pressing QUIT + MENU + ZOOM OUT + POWER all at the same time for about 5 seconds (starting with the unit off).

Is there a web page that shows all the key codes for the 60csx?

Will I loose my maps on a hard reset?

I didn't do a hard reset right away after updating and still had slower Acquisition times than I had had before the last updates. After doing the hard reset I was amazed at how quick this thing got lock(a few seconds). I lost my settings but the improvement I got was worth it.

If you don't know, you do a hard reset by pressing QUIT + MENU + ZOOM OUT + POWER all at the same time for about 5 seconds (starting with the unit off).

Is there a web page that shows all the key codes for the 60csx?

Will I loose my maps on a hard reset?

You won't lose your maps, POIs or tracks saved to card, but all waypoints & unit settings will be lost. Back up first...

I thought initial acquisition times increased quite a bit with the 2.9/2.6 update...if that's what it takes to get WAAS & fix the tunnel problem though, I'll take it. So does 3.0/2.7 acquire satellites any faster than 2.9/2.6 ?

I'm not sure the update will improve WAAS usage unless you are in Japan or that area of the world. From what I read, the MSAS is for Japan. See

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=138897

for a link to an interesting WAAS page I found (hadn't seen it in prior posts).

WAAS in US I think is more dependant on the testing schedule for #51, etc.

Although, I could be missing something???

I updated my 76CSx to the latest levels and didn't have any problems. The first sat acquisition took awhile but after the first lock, I powered it off and back on and it locked on within seconds. This morning I powered on inside my house and it got a 3D lock in 30 seconds and a WAAS lock in 42 seconds. I didn’t need to do a hard reset. I'm a happy camper. :-)

I'd post a screen shot but I can't figure out how to attach the image file. :huh:

Edited by bgarland

I thought initial acquisition times increased quite a bit with the 2.9/2.6 update...if that's what it takes to get WAAS & fix the tunnel problem though, I'll take it. So does 3.0/2.7 acquire satellites any faster than 2.9/2.6 ?

I'm not sure the update will improve WAAS usage unless you are in Japan or that area of the world. From what I read, the MSAS is for Japan. See

I was referring to the 2.9/2.6 that finally 'enabled' WAAS & fixed the tunnel problem. It was at that point that I thought I noticed the slower initial acquisition times. That's why I'm asking if

a: 3.0/2.7 initiates lock any faster than 2.9/2.6 and,

b: if a hard reset is necessary to improve initial lock times, and if you say yes, are you referring to 3.0/2.7, 2.9/2.6 or both.

I was referring to the 2.9/2.6 that finally 'enabled' WAAS & fixed the tunnel problem. It was at that point that I thought I noticed the slower initial acquisition times. That's why I'm asking if

a: 3.0/2.7 initiates lock any faster than 2.9/2.6 and,

b: if a hard reset is necessary to improve initial lock times, and if you say yes, are you referring to 3.0/2.7, 2.9/2.6 or both.

yeah... people may need a few days to play with the new release to compare the two (although they should have called it 2.95, not 3.0 -- needs more big bang to earn the .0)

... I bought my 60csx only a few weeks ago, so 2.9/2.6 was already out, which I guess is good...can't comment on the hard reset, although one would think (think being the operative word) that if one were needed, either the update would do it and warn you before, or somehow the update would tell you to do it...

I switched to 2.9/2.6 and I really didn't notice an increase in acq time.

I did notice significantly improved EPE overall and of course a fix to the tunnel and WAAS issues.

This new release does not seem to be as big of a deal but I'll wait for some more feedback before switching.

Props to Garmin for keeping the updates rolling.

In my rather informal testing, 3.0/2.7 obtains an initial sync of sats within ~15s after having been off for ~8 hours. WAAS syncs within a minute. This certainly feels faster. It may be my sky right now, but it seems like the new code syncs to a smaller (~4) number of satellites initially and then expands; previously it felt like it'd try to sync to more sats but take longer to obtain the initial fix.

Oh, and no hard reset here.

Edited by bansheegeo

<snip> ... Props to Garmin for keeping the updates rolling.

true... I guess we all get anxious thinking about new releases and what the s/w could do ... very easy to take the existing code for granted!

hopefully the garmin folks lurk on some of these boards to get software feedback so that it doesn't only come from the help desk...

Anyone tried this yet?

I updated our 60CSx with 3.0... no problems...

I am at 2.90 on our 76CSx... going to put up new firmware (3.0) tonite for that unit...

60 CSx now gets lock on sats before initial Message screen goes away...

it has lock immediately... don't know if that is because of current conditions or the update???

Never seen it that fast before in the 3 mos we have had the unit...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors