60gsx, Bicycling And Bike Routes

RussG

I thought I ran across a post from someone who wrote that you could set the gps (perhaps with Navagtor) to select bike routes when asking for routing to a location. Has anyone had any experience with this and/or with using your 60csx with your road bike for rides either in town or long rides out a ways. thanks.

You can set the Follow Road options to route for a Bicycle. This will keep you off of limited access freeways, and it will give ETA's for a much lower speed than for a car. (When I'm riding by myself, it's ridiculously slow compared to what I'm actually doing). However, it may or may not do a good job of picking a good route if you leave it to it's own devices. It could well pick a lot of very busy (but not limited-access freeway) roads. I've used a VistaC (similar firmware), but almost all the routes I've done I've picked the route myself from a map or someone's cue sheet, added a lot of via points, and just had the unit running so I could remember all the turns and get guidance if I had to detour.

Keith

You can set the Follow Road options to route for a Bicycle. This will keep you off of limited access freeways, and it will give ETA's for a much lower speed than for a car. (When I'm riding by myself, it's ridiculously slow compared to what I'm actually doing). However, it may or may not do a good job of picking a good route if you leave it to it's own devices. It could well pick a lot of very busy (but not limited-access freeway) roads. I've used a VistaC (similar firmware), but almost all the routes I've done I've picked the route myself from a map or someone's cue sheet, added a lot of via points, and just had the unit running so I could remember all the turns and get guidance if I had to detour.

Keith

Thanks. this makes sense. I wouldn't really expect it to appreciate what roads are better for bikes. I didn't know if, for some reason, it recognized roads with bike lanes. Looks like I'll route with my bicycle map.