Adding An Ftf Scrolling Banner To Your Cache

chameleon family

Holy carp that's annoying.

Might I suggest simply putting a congratulations to the person near the top or bottom of the page?

To further not-answer-the-question-you-asked, I think that FTF is already hounded enough and needs little encouragement. On my cache pages, I'll often add a list of cool quotes that appear in the logs along with an attribute of who said it. See here for example.

I'd rather recognize people for writing something neat about my cache than racing to be the first person to get to it... but that's me.

Jamie

Wow, I didnt know it was in bad taste to congratulate FTF's. It was our first cache to hide. We've only been geocaching a month and FTF's seem to be exciting to some people. We will take your advice and not out any scrolly or blinky things.

Hold on now...

Don't take the advice of a few...it's your cache page, do what you want with it.

FTF is a big deal to a lot of folks. Here in the forums you will get a lot of negative feedback on it. But racing for an FTF can be fun and exciting.

Do what you want. You have been shown how to do it, now go try it out.

My 2 coppers worth...

you could also do some cool affects using the <div> tag with a little CSS and Javascript. Dont know if the cache descriptions support javascript--to be honest i hope they dont. and also with the css you whould need to be careful granted the cache descriptions have a built in Style Sheet. but if javascript is supported you should be able to make some cool stuff--even better then a marquee :D

<blink> and <marquee> tags are only supported by ie and some of the newer browser--be aware not everyone will be able to see them....

Newer??? :laughing:

Blink and marquee are old tags that were earlier part of official HTML, but are dropped out ("deprecated") from the newer standards, like XHTML.

Being deprecated means no-one should use them in any new page code. A bit like most people are now satisfied with audio CDs (or mp3s) and no one really wants 8-track tapes back... :D