10-20 Feet Off With Magellan?

Well I received my magellan explorist 500 in the mail yesterday and was off to do my very first geocache today on my lunch break.

I found two out of two of my first caches!

It is a bit misleading though when the gps says you are still between 10 and 20 feet from the location when as it turns out you are right on top of it.

Is this normal?

Do not try to determine how accurate your GPSr is by how close you are to caches. If you really want to see what it can do, go to a super-accurate "adjusted" benchmark (in the USA.) You will be surprised how accurate it is (sometimes so accurate it will scare you.)

I guess it would be no fun if it brought you right on top of the cache. The fun is in finding it.

I had the same reaction when I first started caching. Be assured you're not doing anything wrong, and the GPS is behaving like it should. In general, once you get to "ground zero" the best thing to do is to put away the GPS and start looking for hiding spots in a 20ft radius. Now, I don't always follow that advice, and I do go back and revisit my GPS if I feel I've gotten too far off of where I should be - but in general it's a good rule of thumb.