Discovered Geocoins

SmartSapper

I have a friend who I recently met up with who opened up his glove box, pulled out 5 or 6 coins, and proceeded to write the tracking numbers down for me. He was just too excited for me to 'discover' them, so I did, but it doesn't feel like I really did anything. I didn't find them in a cache, I didn't move them to another location, or even trade them from him. I just added some icons to my profile, which is kind of neat, I guess.

My question is this: What is considered good form and fair play when it comes to finding, discovering, and moving coins and TB's? Looking for outside opinions, although I already think I know how I plan to handle this in the future. I may change my stance depending on the answers.

So.....?

Its not something I would do. My personal criteria to log a geocoin is that I have to find it in a cache. That said, they added the "discovered" log type just for this situation, so I don't think there is anything wrong with using the system as designed.

At least you saw the coins and probably touched them. Where I part with some people is the practice of trading tracking numbers and logging coins that they've never seen or touched. I've seen lists of tracking numbers passed around at events. No actual coins. I just don't get the point of that.

I like the new "Discovered It" feature, even for a coin you find in a cache. If the cache is a "safe" one for the coin to stay in from which it won't get stolen, you can still log the fact that you saw it, without the worry about moving the coin to another safe location.

Last year, I moved an new coin to a cache I thought would be safe . . . and it was stolen before the next cacher figured out that interesting Multi-cache. :laughing:

Edited by Miragee

Its not something I would do. My personal criteria to log a geocoin is that I have to find it in a cache. That said, they added the "discovered" log type just for this situation, so I don't think there is anything wrong with using the system as designed.

At least you saw the coins and probably touched them. Where I part with some people is the practice of trading tracking numbers and logging coins that they've never seen or touched. I've seen lists of tracking numbers passed around at events. No actual coins. I just don't get the point of that.

I just don't "get" much of what goes on with Geocoins but having said that - I agree closely with briansnats statement.

I like the new "Discovered It" feature, even for a coin you find in a cache. If the cache is a "safe" one for the coin to stay in from which it won't get stolen, you can still log the fact that you saw it, without the worry about moving the coin to another safe location.

Last year, I moved an new coin to a cache I thought would be safe . . . and it was stolen before the next cacher figured out that interesting Multi-cache. :laughing:

I beleive this is a proper use of the "Discovered it" however wish they would remove this type of log. It keeps coins and TB's from moving by encouraging just getting the number and icon.

Well . . . I have just been notified that two coins I placed back out "in the wild" yesterday in a difficult Puzzle cache, hoping they would be safe and would only be picked up by a responsible Geocacher, have been stolen out of the cache. :laughing:

I will never try to move a coin ever again . . .

I'm not a huge fan of the trading of coin numbers at events. Lots of people do it, but I never saw the point. Than again I've never seen a coin in a cache either. I have only logged three geocoins I saw at an event. Two original stash coins and on moun10bike coin. Both hold some history to geocaching. If I see a coin that fits that catagory I will log in the future, but not every coin I see at an event.

however wish they would remove this type of log. It keeps coins and TB's from moving by encouraging just getting the number and icon.

Not necessarily. I seem to recall reading that people were doing the same thing (not moving a coin) by logging the number, removing the coin from the cache, then checking it back into the same cache.

I just used 'discovered it' for the first time yesterday. The TB page said that it needed to move out of New York state and, having no plans to travel soon, I left it where I found it. Since I did notice that it was still in the cache box and not lost, I thought that the 'discovered it' would be a good way to let the owner know that it is still around. :lol:

I have a friend who I recently met up with who opened up his glove box, pulled out 5 or 6 coins, and proceeded to write the tracking numbers down for me. He was just too excited for me to 'discover' them, so I did, but it doesn't feel like I really did anything. I didn't find them in a cache, I didn't move them to another location, or even trade them from him. I just added some icons to my profile, which is kind of neat, I guess.

My question is this: What is considered good form and fair play when it comes to finding, discovering, and moving coins and TB's? Looking for outside opinions, although I already think I know how I plan to handle this in the future. I may change my stance depending on the answers.

So.....?

If that's not your game you don't have to play it. On the other hand, if your friend is excited, there isn't any harm in logging them and playing the part of friend to your friend. Life has a Balance.

Edited by Renegade Knight

My son loves to meet and talk with new people. A very nice gentleman sent Jeremiah a coin in the mail. I had never thought of buying one before this. I had heard many horror stories of them being stolen and what not. So I told Jeremiah he could show people and give them a business card with the number on it so they can log that they discovered it. We took the coin to the Midwest Geobash. My son smiled so bright the whole time. He would point at someone and say Mom can I please show him my coin. He enjoyed having something to talk about with new people. It helped him not be shy. Now we have about 10 coins to share. I would never give them away cause they are Jeremiah's coins. Unfortunately my son has Cerebral Palsy and doesn't get around that easy. So this was the perfect thing for him to be able to do.

This is why we do it at least. Hope you understand.

I just used 'discovered it' for the first time yesterday. The TB page said that it needed to move out of New York state and, having no plans to travel soon, I left it where I found it. Since I did notice that it was still in the cache box and not lost, I thought that the 'discovered it' would be a good way to let the owner know that it is still around. :laughing:

This is a really good .... rational expalnation for "Discovered It". It really does serve a good purpose to let the TB owner know the status of his Travel Bug.

Geocoins are ..... well ..... expensive! I am all for using "Discovered it" if you take the time to look at the coins that another cacher brings to an event .... and hopefully do some socializing with them. Those albums are quite heavy to lug around.

I am pleased to hear that your son has found a hobby that he enjoys .... and enjoys sharing with others!

:o ImpalaBob

I picked up a Kansas Geocoin in a remote cache and really expected it to be a real coin. However, I was glad it was a copy. What the coin owner did was scan both sides of the coin, cut out the images, and glue them to a stiff piece of cardboard. :laughing:

That copy was put in the plastic slipcase so it could travel. The owner of that coin will, hopefully, see his coin travel safely.

Especially after what happened to those to coins I returned "to the wild" Tuesday, if I ever get a coin of my own, and want to watch it travel, that is what I would do.

Its really up to you do what you want, I personally would log them because you did discover the coin, I have had people offer to send tracking numbers via email for me to log without seeing the actual coin. That is somthing I did not want to do but if I hold the coin I log it.

-TJ

I don't get the whole "coin" thing anyway, and I don't bother with them... but to answer your question, like many other things in life, if doesn't feel right doing it, then it probably isn't right for you to do.

Edited by BigHank

My son loves to meet and talk with new people. A very nice gentleman sent Jeremiah a coin in the mail. I had never thought of buying one before this. I had heard many horror stories of them being stolen and what not. So I told Jeremiah he could show people and give them a business card with the number on it so they can log that they discovered it. We took the coin to the Midwest Geobash. My son smiled so bright the whole time. He would point at someone and say Mom can I please show him my coin. He enjoyed having something to talk about with new people. It helped him not be shy. Now we have about 10 coins to share. I would never give them away cause they are Jeremiah's coins. Unfortunately my son has Cerebral Palsy and doesn't get around that easy. So this was the perfect thing for him to be able to do.

This is why we do it at least. Hope you understand.

That one I would log, what a great idea. Does he go back and look at everyone that logged them? Have you ever thought about making him a TB? We have a person here in AZ that had the TB tag tattooed on his arm, to log him you have to post a picture of you with him, that way he can look back and put faces with names. I would not sugest tattooing your sun, but I have heard of a few people who wear the tag around there neck, and have similar requirments for logging them.

That one I would log, what a great idea. Does he go back and look at everyone that logged them? Have you ever thought about making him a TB? We have a person here in AZ that had the TB tag tattooed on his arm, to log him you have to post a picture of you with him, that way he can look back and put faces with names. I would not sugest tattooing your sun, but I have heard of a few people who wear the tag around there neck, and have similar requirments for logging them.

Yes we love looking and reading what people have said about him and what they think. He LOVES reading what people wrote. I love the idea of the tattoo too funny. No I don't think I will be tattooing my 8 yr old haha. Actually he has a play tent that we setup at events with a lot of toys and fun stuff. We made that a TB and said If you come by and play a bit you can log the find. I take a lot of pictures so we can remember most the people that way.

I like to at least touch them to log them. I try to keep it to caching the coins but have discovered about three trackables so far.

Yep, I'm starting to lean towards only logging ones I take out caching. That means I'll have to delete a German coin log. Fortunately I can probably get my hands back on it and take it out in the field.

Thanks everyone, for the advice and opinions. I didn't know, being new to the sport and somewhat isolated, that the 'Discovered' feature was new, and apparently designed for this situation. Given a choice, I'd move a coin or a TB. (I moved one from Germany to Croatia, and it was picked up the next week by a Cacher from Finland. How neat is that?) But, I also understand the theft issue. So if the same situation arises again, I will trade if possible, or if not, I'll discover it. Thanks again for your input. :huh:

Unles I've been stung, bitten and scratched I (personally) don't feel that I have earned the right to log a coin (or any other TB) so I don't. "Discovered" for me is more convenient than logging in and out again. However as I write this I am thinking TBs are for moving. Geogoins are just another form of TB so in future I will be moving them rather than "Discovering them.

PP

I picked up a Kansas Geocoin in a remote cache and really expected it to be a real coin. However, I was glad it was a copy. What the coin owner did was scan both sides of the coin, cut out the images, and glue them to a stiff piece of cardboard. :rolleyes:

That copy was put in the plastic slipcase so it could travel. The owner of that coin will, hopefully, see his coin travel safely.

Especially after what happened to those to coins I returned "to the wild" Tuesday, if I ever get a coin of my own, and want to watch it travel, that is what I would do.

Sorry for the loss. :anibad:

I have one geocoin, and the only time it gets into the wild is as I travel from cache to cache and "dip" it in. I've read of too many coins and TB's going missing, and areas that are notorius for TB/coin hogs, and JTB/WJTB hogs. So I just carry my own to log my travels and kind of track my mileage. So far it has visited 75 caches and logged 5304.2 miles since Monday, January 23, 2006. :)

Well, we're talking two slighly different things: TB & geocoins.

For me, when it comes to TBs, if you pick them up from caches (or event caches) with the intent of moving them to another cache, go for it and properly log the pickup/drop off. I'm not keen on picking up/dropping off a TB in the same cache just for stats. Haven't used 'discover', and I would think it useful to verify a TB still in a cache. I've had people on occasion contact me to see if I had seen a TB in a cache. I now take the time to look for TBs in all caches, and usually take one or more to move (if I know their goal and can met it). Otherwise I leave them there.

Geocoins.

If I find an activated coin (haven't so far) in a cache, I'll treat it like a TB.

If I find an unactivated coin (haven't so far) in a cache, I'll treat it like a trade item (if I have something of equal value to leave, which I probably won't have).

I don't have a problem with the 'touching' of geocoins at events (or when I met people) to collect icons. I have a few coins I carry with me (with a sheet of their numbers) for this purpose. If that's not your thing, fine.

I am one who "discovers" TB's and coins. I am not padding my numbers because I really don't care about my TB/coin numbers. I can't tell you offhand how many TB's I have "found/discovered" I can tell you how many caches. To me there is a big difference between the these numbers. That's how I play the game.