Found It!

I wanted to add this to a fairly recent thread, but was afraid of the consequences!

We found a cache a few months back, which has since been muggled twice. The owner has just reset it a third time with the same name and slightly different coords, as the current cache is some 100 feet from the original. We visited today to pick up a TB for moving on next week and wondered how the visit best be logged?

(Pause whilst I place my tin hat on my head and dive for cover under the table!) :laughing:

Is this a find or not?

Same name - yes

Same location - nearly

Did we need GPS to make the find - yes

Could we have found it without the GPS - mmmmm? possibly/eventually.

Please be gentle with me!! Not into number counting myself and feel very strongly against those that are, just wanna do the right thing here basically.

If you REALLY want the smiley then go ahead and log it as a find .. just keep in mind that there are those who lke to snipe.

If the smiley issue is not a factor then just log it as a note ... you can mention your previous visit and provide the placer feedback on the current location.

Personally, if it were the same GC number, I would log the second visit as a note. I have visited caches that never moved but need the GPS a second time, change of season and just my memory, heck, I have had a difficult time finding caches I have hidden without the GPS :laughing: If its not about the numbers, then it should not matter and you log it the way you think you should log it, myself it would be with a note, but I like my numbers :laughing: .

The game is about navigating to an unknown place with a GPS and finding hidden things - you did that.

You found something hidden in a place you'd never found it before... That's a find, no matter how you dice it.

Ed

“The First Thing We Do, Let’s Kill All the Lawyers” Wm. Shakespeare

So if I grab a topo map and throw a dart a random place and enter those coords into my GPS then...........

oh never mind. :laughing:

Thanks for your input, we were thinking along the 'post a note' lines also. We always have done this when revisiting other caches, but were unsure on this one due to the circumstances. We do really love lotsa smileys - but ONLY legal ones! B):laughing:B):):):)

The cache was never archived and has kept its original GCXXXX.

The 'Post a Notes' have it 10-1.

Thanks again

What if you find the location of the cache, can' find it, confirm with the owner that it was muggled. Owner confirms via e-mail the location you looked was correct. They go back out and replace the cache in the exact same location. This town is far from my house and I probably won't be going back. Is it okay to claim it as a find then? (this question has probably been asked before so please don't flame me to a crisp), I really don't know the answer. Thanks.

What if you find the location of the cache, can' find it, confirm with the owner that it was muggled. Owner confirms via e-mail the location you looked was correct. They go back out and replace the cache in the exact same location. This town is far from my house and I probably won't be going back. Is it okay to claim it as a find then? (this question has probably been asked before so please don't flame me to a crisp), I really don't know the answer. Thanks.

For us that's a DNF - our rule is, only log a find if you sign the cache log (whilst the cache is located where the owner placed it - ie not a pocket cache). It's unfortunate this was a long 'one off trip', but that's life as they say. We're sure others will have thier own take on this one?! :lol:

I believe that to gain a smilie you have to put a mark in the logbook otherwise it is a DNF.

For us that's a DNF - our rule is, only log a find if you sign the cache log (whilst the cache is located where the owner placed it - ie not a pocket cache). It's unfortunate this was a long 'one off trip', but that's life as they say. We're sure others will have thier own take on this one?! :lol:

I flew 5000 miles to another country, rode 900 miles on a train, drove 100 miles to the trailhead, then hiked 5 miles one way, but the cache was muggled. The owner confirmed the DNF and placed another one nearby less than a month later.

I'll have to make another trip to claim a find on that cache. Not sure if I'll ever go back, but I enjoyed the journey, and the location was so awesome I wouldn't mind doing it again. I took lots of photos, but even if I didn't, the adventure will remain with me until I die.

Don't let some artificial number like the find count alter your reality. :wub:

I had a cache go missing a while back, when I placed the original cache I had a feeling it would get muggled. I found a new spot about fifteen feet from the original site. The new location called for a smaller container and was hidden a little bit better. With that in mind I posted that anyone who found the old on was welcome to come find the new one and log it as such. It was the same number and same location but completly different container and a little bit harder to find, so I ( the owner) felt if someone wanted to look for it again, I'd let them get a smillie. So my $.05 ( inflation added ) is if the new one is alot different, ( size, cammo, style of hide, etc...) than the original, and if you feel comfortable that it was different enough from the original hide, log a smillie. If they are basicly the same just a few feet off log a note.

If the owner allows the second find then it is ok to log a second find if you are ok with it.

I have actually logged 2 FTF on the same cache. The original location was deemed to be on private property without permission and the owner moved it 1/2 mile away. They used the same page but allowed those of us that had found it in it previous location to log the second find.

Team Sand Dollar