Mapsource Titles For Legend C

I just received a Legend C as a gift. It was not bundled with any Mapsource software other than the Waypoint Manager.

I quickly determined I wanted more detailed maps so I went to the Garmin website to find out what is available. It seems the only non-Topo title for North America that is listed for this unit is the City Select software. For some reason, although it is listed and described on the website, you cannot order it and there is no explanation. I contacted Garmin customer support and got an e-mail directing me to dealers. The local Best Buys donot have it in stock and the Best Buy website says this title is sold out.

Is there an explanation for this?

I found that I can get this software on Ebay, but I also saw that Metroguide v4 is noted on Ebay by a seller as being compatible with the Legend C. I also noted on Garmin's website a comment about limited mapping memory when using City Navigator, but this package is not listed as compatible with the unit in their look-up feature. It does list Navigator for areas outside North America but for North America, only City Select is shown.

I find this all confusing and would appreciate some help from more experienced users. Can anyone comment for on what Mapsource software is compatible, what they use, what is best?

I just received a Legend C as a gift. It was not bundled with any Mapsource software other than the Waypoint Manager.

I quickly determined I wanted more detailed maps so I went to the Garmin website to find out what is available. It seems the only non-Topo title for North America that is listed for this unit is the City Select software. For some reason, although it is listed and described on the website, you cannot order it and there is no explanation. I contacted Garmin customer support and got an e-mail directing me to dealers. The local Best Buys donot have it in stock and the Best Buy website says this title is sold out.

Is there an explanation for this?

I found that I can get this software on Ebay, but I also saw that Metroguide v4 is noted on Ebay by a seller as being compatible with the Legend C. I also noted on Garmin's website a comment about limited mapping memory when using City Navigator, but this package is not listed as compatible with the unit in their look-up feature. It does list Navigator for areas outside North America but for North America, only City Select is shown.

I find this all confusing and would appreciate some help from more experienced users. Can anyone comment for on what Mapsource software is compatible, what they use, what is best?

I believe city select is being replaced by navigator. (or vice versa...it's here in the forums somewhere).

Not a real big difference, just sizing of the maps. (The smaller 8 meg legends and such will be lucky to find maps that will fit from what I hear).

Also, Topo will work on the legend, as well as the fishing charts and others.

I use city select on my C (not x) and it's very nice. Autorouting works great, as well as all the points of interest. Topo is nice, but since it's not highly detailed on the trails I travel, I find city select still lists enough topo info for me (streams, lakes, etc).

It's a bit of a limbo situation at the moment, with regard to NA street autorouting software from Garmin for the Legend C, which I also own.

City Select (CS) v7 was the last version of that range, and was perfect for the Legend C as it has small map "chunks", perfect for the (now) low 24Mb capacity of the Legend C. City Navigator (CN) v7 was out at the same time, did the same functions, but had much larger map chunks, some individual chunks too big to even fit on the Legend C.

Now, CN v8 is poised to be out... you can buy it new from some online stores now, apparantly. CN v8 has reverted to smaller map chunks again, so good for the Legend C. There is (apparantly) an upgrade path for people who bought CN7 or CS7.. reduced price or even free, depending on when they unlocked the product. The upgrade DVD for this will (apparantly) be out in August.

If I were you, I'd personally keep looking for a (maybe) reduced copy of CS v7 and then upgrade (hopefully) for free when CN v8 Upgrade DVD comes out. Or just spring for the new CN v8.

Sorry for a bunch of "apparantly"s, some of this is till unconfirmed from Garmin B).

I also have Topo on my Legend C, I like it for certain situations.. it has far more detail than CS/CN on some walks... e.g what side of the creek is the cache. CS misses a heckuva lot of the smaller creeks where I live.

Edited by Maingray