Event Organisers Request

As said caching is for all, but if I use a car and organise event why should I find a nearest train station for You or perhaps a nearest bus station or stop? Perhaps for a common cortesy you might say - yes maybe or perhaps place is like that you don't want to cause unneccessary trafic around it.

But as mentioned earlier this is a strange request in a way because main point of the hobby is find your way to the cache or in this case event. Therefore this shouldn't be requirement!

What comes to the line: ...lazy...

I can understand the writer because sometimes request like this sound the way that writer is lazy. Once in a while I get contacted from people which had tried to find some cache and need help because they didn't find. How long they had been searching - 5 to 10 minutes...

Interesting to see such views on such a simple request.

I think that it would be very useful to have such information on event pages. I use public transport or bike (and, I guess, a combination when it comes to an event..). I wouldn't expect these details to be listed for every cache as, as people have said, the planning for a trip would turn this information up.

But when looking at event listings it would be good to have a rough idea if it is possible to get to easily, at all or require further plans. Then with the knowledge that there is/isn't a station near by further planning can then take place. I don't think it should be a compulsary part of setting up and event, but would be a very useful bit of further information.

Anyway, if its such a simple thing to work out, how come it would be such a hassle for the organiser to work out? Better one person doing it than 10.

The OP makes a request and adds please, why on earth have so many people taken offence at such a simple request?

When you consider the time it must take to organise an event, a few seconds to put the information on the cache page is insignificant.

Some event organisers seem to think it is essential to reply to every cacher who states their intention to attend the event, and post numerous notes on the cache page and many posts in the forums. Is it so difficult to mention the nearest public transport? Surely the idea is to get people there, and the more the merrier?

I think it's a reasonable request to ask for public transport information on an event page.

I also find parking co-ords useful when going caching in an unfamiliar area, especially if finding the cache is going to involve a lengthy walk.

We have included public transport suggestions on some of our cache pages (for those caches that are close to public transport).

Surely it is a good thing to encourage cachers not to use their cars if there is a sensible alternative? Caching is supposed to be a healthy pursuit, after all!

Usually the people organising the event would know the local area (I doubt many organise events in areas they don't know) then they would have the knowledge of local travel and not have to look it up. If not then people can (and will) find the information. This was a request for consideration as Johnmelad pointed out, not a firm demand!

In the time spent with people taking offense at the request and taking offense at the remarks (and some were below the belt) we could have gone around all the events adding the information. Sounds like this has run its course and organisers would consider the request to help people get there. If not, then i'm sure if you either ask the organiser or use the various websites shown in the replies you'll be fine.

Then all will be happy and everyones blood pressure can return to normal.

Edited by Bambography

What's wrong with you folks? Too much sun or something?

The OP asked politely, and all he got was hostility by reply, that doesn't seem very reasonable, especially when most cachers ask or look for parking co-ords!

I am personally chasing 200 caches and have only arrived by car on 4 occasions! Some of us rely on public transport, and it is not always obvious which is the best station to use; local organisers usually have the best knowledge available, why such a biggie to share it?

Like someone else said, you do want people to attend bashes don't you? Or are they just thrown for a few select friends?

Bashes are a different type of cache and surely that's the crux of the matter, a friendly gathering, so why not help everyone get there?

And there's me thinking I had put in a level headed "opinion". :laughing::o:unsure:

I don't think anyone should HAVE to drive and I know I am lucky to be able to drive and able to afford a vehicle and fuel it in order to cache.

I still do not think it should be demanded that we post station details on a cache page (event or otherwise).

And the OP didn't demand but however he did infer that he would like it to be mandatory - which is unacceptable.

It isn't mandatory to include parking co-ords and neither should it be mandatory to include ANY other information apart from the location of the event.

Still I think it is a good idea - as I said in my original response.

I will repeat again!

There was no hostility intended in my reply!

However as this game we play is about finding your way to a cache or event CACHE I only expect co ordinates. How I choose or am forced by circumstances to find said cache or event is and should not be an issue for the setter, rather for the finder.

That is my opinion, not forcing anyone. Your event or cache you choose how difficult or easy you want to make it for others to attend.

Up to now most events have been easy to find with one exception that I am aware of which was the recent Enigma event. I personally would like to see events that are a challenge to get to. I did recoil at first when I saw the Enigma event listed then took a step back and thought "yes there is nothing wrong with something different"

My opinion is different to the OP fair enough. I still think it is relatively easy to find the information required. I certainly don't think it should be an inferred requirement!

Stuff this for a game of soldiers! This thread has now convinced me not to put any sort of parking co-ords on any of my caches again.

In fact, I'm just not going to put any co-ords of any kind at all! :D

Personally, intended or not, I think some forumites have shown hostility over something too petty to matter. People do tend to forget that the written word doesn't always portray the meaning that was originally intended by the author as well as the spoken word. Mis-interperation is a common problem in forums and once it has occurred, it can only be resolved with a quick and meaningful apology. If not, ill feeling is spawned which can turn into a cancerous growth. Let's stop the 'bickering' and get back to the fun of discussing geocaching matters - nicely.

:laughing:

This thread has now convinced me not to put any sort of parking co-ords on any of my caches again.

In fact, I'm just not going to put any co-ords of any kind at all! :laughing:

Then you would enjoy GCMVHK "VM" where the only information given is the coords and they are not the right ones! :D

But I do agree - let's stop bickering and reading comments too critically - we always will differ in opinions and may expresse them badly but a little generosity in interpretation can make for a calmer approach. :laughing:

When you look at the USA mega cache page that someone linked to a while back, those organisers went to great effort to ensure everyone had the best event (week long) event possible.

I wouldn't have thought of putting travel info on the page, but when I read the OP I thought 'Oh yes, good idea'.

The cache setter has the local knowledge. The attendee probably wouldn't - whats the harm in helping out?

I'm not thinking the potential attendee is the lazy one... :D

<<Shakes head in dismay at the miserable spirit in the UK geocaching community these days>>

I'm off to go mountain biking

I've watched this thread unfold with interest - I can't believe folk are getting so agitated about such a minor thing, is it the weather? :D

For what it's worth, I feel that if someone's capable of finding a plastic box hidden under a pile of rocks in a wood they're more than capable of finding the nearest railway station/bus stop/airport/heli-pad to it. However if someone requests the details and the event organiser feels inclined to provide them all well and good.

Come on everyone - let's make this the summer of love! :laughing:

After not posting for a couple of days i have finally returned to find some people sticking up for me. Could i also say thankyou to GAZ for a lovely email.

It is a shame that some elements of the forum population still feel (despite other non driving cachers posting) that finding a station is "easy" and "doesnt take much time".

I am thinking of caching the Wandle Wander series tomorrow.

Could someone let me know the best route.I don't have a car,but I do have a motorbike.Trains/buses not neccessary on this occasion.I could look for myself but maybe its easier to let someone else do the work for me!! :huh:

Edited by currykev

Hello everybody, I have been away for a few days, have you all been playing nicely when I have been away?....

Oh! :huh:

Oooh! look at this event page, it seems like some people have added public transport links to their events already!

Here's my pragmatic suggestion - it's a good idea for events, perhaps we could encourage it for events? Everybody wants people to come to events, so why not supply the information if it is known/appropriate to do so.

I am going to put all this sillyness down to the heat!

Great suggestion Alibags.And the following info was even more appreciated just in case that last train had been missed.

"and a decent chippy very close by in Northchurch itself"

I'd have preferred curry house info but at least I wouldn't have starved eh!! :huh:

Edited by currykev

After not posting for a couple of days i have finally returned to find some people sticking up for me. Could i also say thankyou to GAZ for a lovely email.

It is a shame that some elements of the forum population still feel (despite other non driving cachers posting) that finding a station is "easy" and "doesnt take much time".

It is nice to see people sticking up for others, and sending supporting email. However anyone who manages people or done any sort of supervisor/management course, will know that an insult is in the eye of the beholder. Which means not everyone will be able to see the insult, or what the fuss was about. The fact that more than one person has taken offence means there must have been something there for them to take offence at.

As I have already pointed out two wrongs don't make a right, but lathama already insulted as he couldn't see why others where, decided to throw his own offensive remarks back. I personally would have looked back at my original comments, and thought about what I may have said wrong.

The suggestion is a good one, but it was the way it was put across that has caused this to become a heated subject.

Since this thread is now about how a topic is phrased and insults, perceived or otherwise, abound may I politley suggest that it has gone off topic and should be closed.

I believe that the idea is a good one though and since I also believe that the idea behind it should be discussed sensibly I have opened another topic just to discuss the merits, or not, of politely requesting that, where possible, event cache pages give an indication of whether the venue is accessable by public transport.

Janine

It is nice to see people sticking up for others, and sending supporting email. However anyone who manages people or done any sort of supervisor/management course, will know that an insult is in the eye of the beholder.

Wrong, it is the receivers/readers perception that is important. IMHO :huh:

It's a fair request.

It does say "could" not "must" . Caching is for all, not just those with cars, or other means of transport, and all the gadgets to go paperless cacheing.

Some of the comments here, to a simple request, make me wonder if I want to go and meet my "Fellow cachers"...

G

how sad when someone feels like that

Edited by alma

Since this thread is now about how a topic is phrased and insults, perceived or otherwise, abound may I politley suggest that it has gone off topic and should be closed.

I believe that the idea is a good one though and since I also believe that the idea behind it should be discussed sensibly I have opened another topic just to discuss the merits, or not, of politely requesting that, where possible, event cache pages give an indication of whether the venue is accessable by public transport.

Janine

So that thread didn't last very long did it!!!.Let us vent our non-polite replies with gusto.

I have only been to one event (The Enigma RVP), it was in a pub. This seems fairly typical, these things never seem very far away from alcohol. Unless we are all drunk drivers I would imagine that its quite common for event attendees to use public transport? The Enigma one was untypical mind. The Mars Bars didn't tell us the coordinates or even the time and date, never mind the public transport. Forty odd people still turned up though!

Edited by Foinavon

When you look at the USA mega cache page that someone linked to a while back, those organisers went to great effort to ensure everyone had the best event possible.

The cache setter has the local knowledge. The attendee probably wouldn't - whats the harm in helping out?

Well said Kitty Hawk. The majority of our most enjoyable cache finds have been where the cache setter has taken the time to share some of their local knowledge, either in the form of background flavour or as nudges on better route options. Even close to home there are hidden gems whose enjoyment has been increased by such input.

As cache setters we our preferred method is to guide with a hidden hand, rather than explicitly describing a route (but even here one recent cache we visited, GeoHenge!, used this method to great effect). For our solitary traditional/letterbox cache we did walk all the alternative routes and ended up giving the two best options, while warning cachers off what appeared to be the most direct route from a carpark on an A-Road (badly sign posted RoW which had been ploughed, couple of un-bridged ditches, same way in/out on j-shaped route - might encourage trespassing across land of distinctly anti CROW Act farmer's land). In another example we specified that a particular route be used from the parking/starting area as this was a request/condition of the landowner who was quite happy to encourage access by "genuine walkers" but was concerned about cache & dashers cutting across an area of wild garden.

Having said that it is up to the cache finder/attendee what they do with the information, though it is up to the cache finder/attendee what they do with the information. Personally I do think that we need to respect the care that the cache creator has put in, when logging a find, as I can never quite understand the intention of cachers who write comments such as "parked on the hard shoulder of the dual carriage way", "climbed over barbed wire fence" when the cache description specifically asks for certain routes to be/not to be used.

Oh yes and while I remember, great joke Geotrotters :laughing: and a nice bit of olive branch waving, if only mongoose39uk had chosen to grab it sooner. Mind you this thread has raised the profile of several pertinent issues to do will access for all in its broadest sense.

Thanks lathama & mongoose39uk for bringing these issues to our attention through the medium of dialectic materialism. :laughing:

And let us hope that our progress from thesis and antithesis to synthesis will be much smoother now ... :laughing:

smile_lenin.gifsmile_castro.gifsmile_stalin.gif

Jango smile_fett.gif

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

Personally I do think that we need to respect the care that the cache creator has put in, when logging a find, as I can never quite understand the intention of cachers who write comments such as "parked on the hard shoulder of the dual carriage way", "climbed over barbed wire fence" when the cache description specifically asks for certain routes to be/not to be used.

Very off topic :rolleyes: .but very good question. :anitongue:

I always appreciate car park coords - it helps non locals to start off a caching trip on the correct foot by placing the wheels in a safe place.

:( What you mean like this :)

We started this cache in great style by trying to park tidily by the kissing gate and ending up with our front wheels in a, difficult to see ditch, and unable to drive out. The very helpful farmer opposite our predicament pulled us out with his 4x4. So beware! - Spindlewood 29/06/06
... So made my way back to the car only to find it was grounded out as what I thought was a shallow puddle was actually a deep hole - luckily some joggers came along and we were able to get the cachemobile back onto four wheels and off its sump. - Jango & Boba Fett 22/06/06
Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

*reads through* yup after popping in for the first time in ages im leaving and back off to lurk in the geocoin forum, its scary saying anything here in case you get ripped up by the hounds!

was going to the picnic in the park this weekend before i got called into work. is this unpleasantness indicative of what id have encountered? id hope not, i always thought you guys came accross as really nice

i dont always agree with posts but hostility is a little uncalled for surely especially in a medium where things are so easily misinterpreted anyway

edited as i posted mid sentence

Edited by freespirit1402

i dont always agree with posts but hostility is a little uncalled for surely especially in a medium where things are so easily misinterpreted anyway

And this is one of the reasons I think twice before posting to a thread. There are lots of things I disagree with and if my point of view does nothing to enhance the thread then I think twice about posting. <_<

I try not to flame people. I must agree with Freespirit1402 that there does appear to have been too much recently. We're all individuals - cue Monty Python enthusiasts - and we all have our own points of view but sometimes we should think twice about our response. Some unsavoury and choice words on a forum could cause unnecesary ill feeling between "friends". :D

Hold breath, count to 10 and think again. :(

Re-reading the thread after a weekend away its interesting to see how this thread has developed. I cant afford to own a car for starters, and I know many others cant either. Public transport will only get you somewhere to a point. On Saturday I went for a lovely 8 mile walk along a cache route with a large group of cachers who were super company - all the caches could have been parked next to but we all walked - how many of the scathing cachers on this thread would do the same? Even Moote was with us, and he proved to be pretty agile on some awkward places :anibad:

I want to take this opportunity to thank the Phillimore Clan who kindly drove me into town later that evening and helped me locate the bus station and correct bus stop in an area none of us had been to before :rolleyes: And Moote who drove me home on the Sunday as he was going past it even though his car had major problems (and threatened to break down at any minute). I want to finish on a high note...I had a great weekend, and as a car-less cacher people certainly made sure I was looked after (by Mongoose, Hokesters, Phillimores and Moote amongst others). Thank you guys! :)