No Online Logs, Fewer Hassles

Darn straight. I finally hid my first cache, GCX1RW, on my own farm, and waited for a finder. My first finders log really made my week, I was braced for negative feedback and got this glowing report:

Woohoooo!!! Our very first FTF!!! Saw this one just after getting back from vacation, and we just had to go for it! (Even though we were a little apprehensive about poking around on private property. It was all good, just like the Cpt. said)

T: So much stuff to chose from, but we had to take the FTF (First to Flask..ha ha..see pic) Very nice, and will be put to good use.

L: We had brought an airplane model and a kewl church coin, but the airplane model got left in the car by accident. Too far away to make two trips on this high 90's day! The church coin is very nice though.

Took Cache Commando Joe. He is undergoing an intense pre-brief before heading out on his mission. Should only be a week or so till "go-time!"

A very well done cache! Highly recommended! TFTC Captain!

I'll continue posting logs online so I can, perhaps, bring others the pleasure his log brought me.

If you choose not to, you are still welcome to find mine, but I'll miss the fun of reading it online. B)

I posted a similar log once (actually my daughter wrote it) describing our elation at being FTF on a 3 terrain cache accompanied by about 6 inches of snow whinc made it about a 4.5. Apparently the owner subscribes to the "no celebrating of victory" club and thoroughly chastized us and demanded that I revise it or delete it.

I changed it to "FTF" and let it stand at that. If that's what people want and consider that a meaningful expression of cachers' experiences, then I see no reason to log at all other than the smiley.

The logs that I have been chastized for have been the most heart-felt and honest logs and never (as far as I could determine) negative unless you consider advising others of present hazards to be "negative".

I don't know how to tell, before posting, if a cache owner welcomes honest logs or not.

People are also offended by terse logs. You can't win.

To other points:

I agree the online logging is probably what fueled the explosive growth of the sport.

Yes, going to "no logs" is probably an over-reaction to a few (very few perhaps) negative comments.

I felt it would be proper to publically explain my position. I guess that makes me a "troll". Whatever.

I am not anti-social and I realise the forums are the same sort of medium that I have removed myself from and perhaps it would be realistic to simply resign from the forums also, but alas, they are addictive. :laughing:

I can perhaps compromise my position and I do see the need for some logs, but that need is not absolute. I still have the freedom to log if I see it appropriate.

I guess now I will offend for sure if I log online.

I am sorry if this upsets anyone but, it seems to me that the OP's attitude is one of "It's all about me!".

Actually, it seems most of the responses have the attitude of: It's all about me, and my cache, and you BETTER log it online, or you are:

A child

A leech

A cache maggot

Banned.

That last one makes me laugh! Yea, that's it, let's BAN everyone who doesn't log online. We can start with Dave Ulmer, the Inventor of this whole geocaching thing...

The OP gave his reasons for not logging online, he came in here and posted his thoughts...isn't that what the forums are for? Just because every post isn't to your liking, don't go and throw a hissy fit about it...

He just made a post and look what kind of grief he is getting for it.

Gimme a break. :laughing:

Darn straight. I finally hid my first cache, GCX1RW, on my own farm, and waited for a finder. My first finders log really made my week, I was braced for negative feedback and got this glowing report:

Woohoooo!!! Our very first FTF!!! Saw this one just after getting back from vacation, and we just had to go for it! (Even though we were a little apprehensive about poking around on private property. It was all good, just like the Cpt. said)

T: So much stuff to chose from, but we had to take the FTF (First to Flask..ha ha..see pic) Very nice, and will be put to good use.

L: We had brought an airplane model and a kewl church coin, but the airplane model got left in the car by accident. Too far away to make two trips on this high 90's day! The church coin is very nice though.

Took Cache Commando Joe. He is undergoing an intense pre-brief before heading out on his mission. Should only be a week or so till "go-time!"

A very well done cache! Highly recommended! TFTC Captain!

I'll continue posting logs online so I can, perhaps, bring others the pleasure his log brought me.

If you choose not to, you are still welcome to find mine, but I'll miss the fun of reading it online. B)

I posted a similar log once (actually my daughter wrote it) describing our elation at being FTF on a 3 terrain cache accompanied by about 6 inches of snow whinc made it about a 4.5. Apparently the owner subscribes to the "no celebrating of victory" club and thoroughly chastized us and demanded that I revise it or delete it.

I changed it to "FTF" and let it stand at that. If that's what people want and consider that a meaningful expression of cachers' experiences, then I see no reason to log at all other than the smiley.

The logs that I have been chastized for have been the most heart-felt and honest logs and never (as far as I could determine) negative unless you consider advising others of present hazards to be "negative".

I don't know how to tell, before posting, if a cache owner welcomes honest logs or not.

People are also offended by terse logs. You can't win.

To other points:

I agree the online logging is probably what fueled the explosive growth of the sport.

Yes, going to "no logs" is probably an over-reaction to a few (very few perhaps) negative comments.

I felt it would be proper to publically explain my position. I guess that makes me a "troll". Whatever.

I am not anti-social and I realise the forums are the same sort of medium that I have removed myself from and perhaps it would be realistic to simply resign from the forums also, but alas, they are addictive. B)

I can perhaps compromise my position and I do see the need for some logs, but that need is not absolute. I still have the freedom to log if I see it appropriate.

I guess now I will offend for sure if I log online.

No one will ever know unless you tell them. :laughing:

I have found several caches myself with visits on the paper log that never were logged online, I found it curious at first but I figured whatever floats their boat. Some people would cuss you out if you rang their doorbell to present them with a check for 100 million dollars, if I happen to offend someone like that, I DON'T CARE. It's their problem, not mine. If we spend our time trying to please everyone nobody will be pleased, so I live to please myself within reason.

Again, if you ever find mine I won't scold you, logged or not. But logged will make me happier. :)

By the way, if no one ever logged one of my caches online, that would be alright with me...as long as they signed the cache logbook and had a good time hunting for it, that's what matters anyhow...

I would call that a success for both of us! B)

Hmmm, refusing to log online BUT using the site to post caches of your own. B):laughing:

I am sorry if this upsets anyone but, it seems to me that the OP's attitude is one of "It's all about me!".

Actually, it seems most of the responses have the attitude of: It's all about me, and my cache, and you BETTER log it online, or you are:

A child

A leech

A cache maggot

Banned.

That last one makes me laugh! Yea, that's it, let's BAN everyone who doesn't log online. We can start with Dave Ulmer, the Inventor of this whole geocaching thing...

The OP gave his reasons for not logging online, he came in here and posted his thoughts...isn't that what the forums are for? Just because every post isn't to your liking, don't go and throw a hissy fit about it...

He just made a post and look what kind of grief he is getting for it.

Gimme a break. B)

Banned should make you laugh. Suppose a cacher never did log online and only signed the logs (with his real name) or perhaps didn't even bother with signing the logs. Of course he needs to have an account to get coordinates for caches - but probably uses a fake user name for that. How are you going to ban that person? Does Captain Clorox have powers I don't know about? I figured people would understand that, so I didn't put a smiley when I suggested banning above.

It is already the case that many people don't log online. They have fun finding caches and they don't need a smiley to make it worth finding a cache. If they really like a cache they send a private email to the owner. If there is a problem with a cache they send a private email to the owner. This thread sounds like all the others where people post that their way is the only way to play. :laughing:

Edited by tozainamboku

He can log or not, I don't care. To bring his attitude in here is just a childish cry for attention. Not child like, childish. If he didn't want to be a part of the online community he would have just stopped logging and left it at that.

As for me, the hike is nice, or the hide was interesting, or sorry I didn't enjoy that cache, it is the community that I enjoy. The people, those I meet on the trail or at an event, or those I never meet in person. We don't always agree, but we don't have to. We have something in common, it's called Geocaching. We all have our opinions, we don't have to make the world bend to ours. I will continue to log online and share my experiences as they happen. It's the least I can do to give back to the community of PEOPLE that has brought so much fun into my life. Thank you one and all.

I guess I must have read the OP too quickly. I seem to have missed the part where he said he doesn't want to be a part of the online community. The message I got from it was that he just didn't want to participate in the drama, as outlined in some of the other threads. He can still participate in the forums part of the community. It's very hard for me to see that as "a childish cry for attention". I think he shared a valid thought with us.

Edited by headybrew
If you are seeking the freedom of caching you own way, do you need this forum to pound your chest? Do you even need a handle.

<snip>

IMHO I hope you can get some enjoyment out of this community activity.

I agree. For someone who has decided to be silent, he sure has a bunch to say.

No, I don't need the forum. i don't need a handle. Actually, I got along quite well in my life before I discovered this game. But now I play. *pounds chest!*

He can log or not, I don't care. To bring his attitude in here is just a childish cry for attention. Not child like, childish. If he didn't want to be a part of the online community he would have just stopped logging and left it at that.

Thanks for telling me what I would have done. Did you go to school to learn to read others' thoughts or is it a natural gift?

In a sense it could be said that the forums are a "childish cry for attention". They definitely are not necessary. My opinions (or yours) are definitely not needed for the world to go round or for geocaching to flourish. So why did YOU post here? Perhaps to draw attention to your MATURE attitude? *bowing humbly to my superior*

What then is the purpose of these forums, if not to share one's opinions and discuss issues that might be of interest to others?

Did I misjudge the level of interest it might be to others? If it is "all about me" and not worth discussion, then why do people BOTHER posting replies?

To use an old cliche: can't have your cake and eat it too. Either drift off into the shadows or remain active - but don't try both.

So, I take it there is no compromise? I HAVE to log every cache? Or NOT? And I cannot (or perhaps better said, "should not") post on the forums unless i DO log caches? So now is there a rule about how "active" a cacher must be- and to prove we are "active" we must log online? I think they are requiring a certain level of activity on another site... that's why I stayed with yours.

Neat little trick. Whoever plants No. 500,000 cache should get a pony for a milestone cache. :laughing:

I just hit the local "wally" and got 5,000 photo cases..Micro spew here I come..I'm getting that pony!!!!

Seriously though, I can't understand why people get so bent out of shape about the logs posted to their caches. Let people log what they want, Good, Bad, Indifferent, so what. I read them and let it lie. At most I might send an e-mail asking them what they didn't like so that I could fix it if it can be fixed or just let it go.

Main thing is Have fun and let the drama Queens have thier own fun.

To use an old cliche: can't have your cake and eat it too. Either drift off into the shadows or remain active - but don't try both.

So, I take it there is no compromise? I HAVE to log every cache? Or NOT?

That's right. I command it.

Once you realize I have no authority over your life you can probably determine this is just my opinion. Barring that, in context my message related to both a user being anonymous in order to avoid social interaction - then going around boasting their find count - which seems hypocritical to me. But again, it's just my opinion.

You seem to be able to handle forum debates. Why you can't handle the occasional geocacher who takes issue with your log is beyond me.

As for me, the hike is nice, or the hide was interesting, or sorry I didn't enjoy that cache, it is the community that I enjoy. The people, those I meet on the trail or at an event, or those I never meet in person. We don't always agree, but we don't have to. We have something in common, it's called Geocaching. We all have our opinions, we don't have to make the world bend to ours. I will continue to log online and share my experiences as they happen. It's the least I can do to give back to the community of PEOPLE that has brought so much fun into my life. Thank you one and all.

I guess I must have read the OP too quickly. I seem to have missed the part where he said he doesn't want to be a part of the online community. The message I got from it was that he just didn't want to participate in the drama, as outlined in some of the other threads. He can still participate in the forums part of the community. It's very hard for me to see that as "a childish cry for attention". I think he shared a valid thought with us.

What drama???

I've made a few finds (over a thousand) in the past three + years and have logged everyone of them online. Never once has anyone gotten upset, chastized, or threatened me in any way for one of those logs. Admittedly, i'm sure it's mainly because i don't feel the need to complain about my not liking of a cache. You'll get a long detailed log (goods and bads) from me if it's one that was fun, challenging, or memorable in some way. But if it's lame or not to my liking, then it's a simple "thanks for the cache" type log.

What i'm thinking is that those of you who have more than a few complaints from cache owners about your logs are probably giving too much info, being too critical, and/or just plain being rude. I agree that too many people are just thin skinned and cant take the criticism, but unfortunately this is the way it is. I'll definitely post a concern if i think it is warranted but not just because it's a cache i didn't like it. It's so easy to just post a quick found it, DNF, or note and be done with it.

To me, logging online is part of our game and is part of how geocaching was designed in the first place. Placing a cache is one way for the owner to interact with others,, through the logs that come in. Most, if not all cache owners want to see those online logs. Thats one of the reasons they placed the cache in the first place!

...Most, if not all cache owners want to see those online logs. Thats one of the reasons they placed the cache in the first place!

[HUMOR MODE] So hiding is just a "just a childish cry for attention" ?? [/HUMOR MODE]

Yup, I agree that it's a combination of thin-skinned hiders, but also blunt loggers...

I think I learned a lot from the example cache posted in that other thread... Don't have it handy at the moment. But it definately changed how I would approach logging a cache I didn't like.

I see the point, though, that hiders do appreciate logs. So learning to word logs nicely may be in order.

But I guess if online communication skills are running low for the logger (as they often are for me), then It's a valid option to just not log it. As my mom always said, "If you don't have anything nice to say, just don't say anything."

I bet your mom said that too. :laughing:

nice to see the mob jump all over someone and DEMAND the game be played 'their way

I DEMAND THAT YOU PLAY MY WAY! :lol:

If you refuse. I'll, ...... I'll, ..... I'll demand again! :P:wub:

(I'll call that the "United Nations" solution) :)

Back on topic: Cat, play the game however you want. It's your life. Personally, I think that online logging is/was something that you enjoyed, and by ceasing this activity you're only borrowing misery, but the choice is ultimately yours to make. I'm still fairly new to this game, so I can't claim to be an authority on anything. For the Riffster Clan, logging the finds, the DNF's and the notes are as enjoyable as the actual hunt. I certainly wouldn't allow somebody else's opinions to push me away from something I loved doing. On the other hand, If I got so aggrivated with the process, I would stop enjoying it, I might stop logging. I just can't picture that happening. Maybe my skin is too thick? :wub:

So, I take it there is no compromise? I HAVE to log every cache? Or NOT?

That's right. I command it.

Once you realize I have no authority over your life you can probably determine this is just my opinion. Barring that, in context my message related to both a user being anonymous in order to avoid social interaction - then going around boasting their find count - which seems hypocritical to me. But again, it's just my opinion.

You seem to be able to handle forum debates. Why you can't handle the occasional geocacher who takes issue with your log is beyond me.

My remaining anonymous is not to avoid social interaction, just to minimize the (anti)social impact. It really is not that I can't handle it, just that i am choosing not to deal with it. Opting out of one social interaction does not mean opting out of all- or any other.

As to my finds, I have to admit 2 of them were listed on the "other" site. I didn't REALLY find them, but since they were missing and I was in the right place I claimed them anyhow. I guess I'm down to 425,565.

:lol:

OBTW:

9e30269f-7b31-4131-87b0-4cb9b4dd0a99.jpg

This would mean that the OP has found almost every cache ever submitted, even those that never made it past the approval process and all caches from day one

I always wondered who wrote "TFTC. TNLNSL Sorry your cache wasn't approved - I don't log online - C.C." On those geocaches I thought were great but the reviewer's just couldn't make fit within the guidelines.........

Happy Hunting!

I can't believe no one noticed this.

OBTW, I now claim 424,567 finds, none of which are virtuals, none of which are "pocket caches", none of which are events.

I AM TOP DAWG! ------------------- Since I don't log online, care to prove my number is bogus? B)B)

You should do better research. From the GC.com home page just one minute ago...

There are 291246 active caches in 222 countries.

So what do I get for proving you wrong? :lol::wub::wub:

Wait........ you're not claiming two finds per cache are you?!?! For shame! :P:):DB):)

Just because a cache is archived doesn't mean you can't count it in your finds. Since I can't search for archived caches I have no way of knowing whether or not the OP could have found 424567 caches or not. :D

Easy to find out. Go to the most recent cache published in your area (or anywhere). Hold your mouse over the "log your visit" link at the top right. Look at your browser bar down at the bottom of your browser window and you will see the URL for that hyperlink. That link has the cache ID number. The last one in GA is just over 430,000. This would mean that the OP has found almost every cache ever submitted, even those that never made it past the approval process and all caches from day one, some of which were long gone from their locations since the OP only started caching in January of 2003.

So, what do I get? And I DON'T want a pony. :)

As to my finds, I have to admit 2 of them were listed on the "other" site. I didn't REALLY find them, but since they were missing and I was in the right place I claimed them anyhow. I guess I'm down to 425,565.

Thanks for clarifying that only two of your logs are on other sites. That proves that your number is bogus! :D

So, what do I get? How about a lifetime supply of milkbones. Works for me. Come on kitty! Put you money where your paws are! You posted to prove that you were wrong. Ta da! Done!

:D:D:D(The puppymonster is looking forward to his milkbones, kitty.)

Gimme a break. :lol:

I had the exact same thought when I read that one. But you know that anyone who cares about geocaching at all would log all there finds, right? Because this was founded as being all about the numbers. ( I will now sit back and wait to get flamed for this comment because people can not recognize humor or sarcasim any more)

Of course you can escape those messy social encounters entirely. But then again you can't go online afterwards and make claims and post online since it dashes your attempt at anonymity.

There's such a thing as a nonconformist with a strong need to belong.

Think about a mature group like Geocaching. At the center are the leaders, high-achievers, celebrities. Surrounding this group are the rank-and-file, looking inward for guidance, inspiration, amusement, etc. Once a group is established, it's hard to bore through the ranks to get to the center of attention. But there's an easily exploited loophole: Position yourself at the edge of the group and loudly proclaim yourself to be an outsider, iconoclast, revolutionary. The conscience of the group. You'll get some attention, and perhaps attract other non-conformists. Then the old order will re-establish itself, to the dismay of the outsiders who are now really outside.

This theory works on everything from The Twilight Zone (jumpy suburbanites would coalesce into a mob only to be shamed by the outsider too wise to get swept up) to the high school cafeteria. It explains fads and cliques. Hopeless political movements and letters to the editor.

Of course you can escape those messy social encounters entirely. But then again you can't go online afterwards and make claims and post online since it dashes your attempt at anonymity.

There's such a thing as a nonconformist with a strong need to belong.

Think about a mature group like Geocaching. At the center are the leaders, high-achievers, celebrities. Surrounding this group are the rank-and-file, looking inward for guidance, inspiration, amusement, etc. Once a group is established, it's hard to bore through the ranks to get to the center of attention. But there's an easily exploited loophole: Position yourself at the edge of the group and loudly proclaim yourself to be an outsider, iconoclast, revolutionary. The conscience of the group. You'll get some attention, and perhaps attract other non-conformists. Then the old order will re-establish itself, to the dismay of the outsiders who are now really outside.

This theory works on everything from The Twilight Zone (jumpy suburbanites would coalesce into a mob only to be shamed by the outsider too wise to get swept up) to the high school cafeteria. It explains fads and cliques. Hopeless political movements and letters to the editor.

Ah, yes, to "conform to non-conformity". My daughter (Murasaki) has a shirt that says "I was uncool before uncool was cool"... from Hot Topic- where all the same ol', same ol' "wierdos" shop. A "must see" at your local mall if you study humanity.

OBTW, do we REALLY have high achievers, celebrities, and leaders? I think we are really a little too loosely organized to have a true heirarchy- or at least to agree on who they are- especially the "high achievers". That is what so much of the "numbers" debate is about these days.

I can validate my 425,525 finds as much as any "high achiever" can validate theirs.

GDAE

*out shopping for milkbones*

Looks like this has run its course.

I have given this much thought lately, much of it due to the responses here, and I will soften my stance on online logging a little bit. I see there are some cases where not logging online is detrimental.

Some caches, like "Holy Wastewater she-it" for instance, would make little sense if not logged online. The point being that it is the radical experiences in the logs that make it worthwhile to endure such extremes for a cache. For those times that something particularly interesting occurs on a cache trip, provided I actually find the cache and sign the log, i will share my experience online.

looking back, I think the majority of my problematic logs have been for DNF's, particularly where I chose to abort the hunt and expressed my reasons therefor.

If I find a confirmed condition that is unnecessarily or extraordinarily dangerous to other cachers, or the cache is damaged beyond repair, I will make a report online or privately to the owner.

There may be other cases. At any rate, not caring about the numbers gives me the freedom to log - or not.

...snip...

A few days ago I took a newbie, an 11 y.o. kid I know from ham radio, that has been nominated "Alabama Young Ham Operator Of The Year" out caching, we found six great caches and discovered and toured an exotic animal breeding farm along the way... a great day I will long remember (ever seen a bearcat?), but I didn't log the finds, just don't care to. He did, that's enough.

...snip...

Ed

OK, this response may be a bit off topic, but SOMEONE really needs to tell that kid that his hobby choices may in fact lead to him dying a virgin, young ham operator of the year or no. Alright, geocaching isn't the most studly hobby either, but I was married with children before I started this hobby.

Edited by NotNutts

[OK, this response may be a bit off topic, but SOMEONE really needs to tell that kid that his hobby choices may in fact lead to him dying a virgin, young ham operator of the year or no. Alright, geocaching isn't the most studly hobby either, but I was married with children before I started this hobby.

Yeah. Funny.

:)

Looking back, I think the majority of my problematic logs have been for DNF's, particularly where I chose to abort the hunt and expressed my reasons therefor.

If I find a confirmed condition that is unnecessarily or extraordinarily dangerous to other cachers, or the cache is damaged beyond repair, I will make a report online or privately to the owner.

There may be other cases. At any rate, not caring about the numbers gives me the freedom to log - or not.

Ah Ha! We might be making some progress here. It could be that what sounded appropriate to you might have been interpreted just slightly differently than you expected. You might re-read your logs before posting and see if there might be a bit too much "Zing" in it. The Zing is what does it. We'd all probably like to put a bit more Zing in our posts when a cache makes us mad.

If you are Zinging then that's easily fixed by simply not Zinging. Then you can go back to caring about the numbers and having a good time again.

Some caches, like "Holy Wastewater she-it" for instance, would make little sense if not logged online. The point being that it is the radical experiences in the logs that make it worthwhile to endure such extremes for a cache. For those times that something particularly interesting occurs on a cache trip, provided I actually find the cache and sign the log, i will share my experience online.

At any rate, not caring about the numbers gives me the freedom to log - or not.

But your 'solution' doesn't really do anything for the people who place caches. I appreciate both acknowledgement of the cache and the visitor. Even if it is a a simple TFTC, you've acknowledged the cache and me. It isn't about your numbers only-- it's also very much about the people who build the game around us and for us. A better solution, which shows that you care about others in this game as much as yourself, would be to log the cache as a note; they don't accrue numbers. There you win (no counting) and the cacher whose caches you found wins (feedback and acknowledgement). As for the notes, it is your choice to keep them simple, or to write more elaborate ones. It's also your choice as to content of the notes -- whether to include feedback, gratitude or criticism.

I've never tried this, and I don't want to wait for my next find to find out... So I'll ask here.

Is it possible to log a find with no text whatsoever in the log?

No. Some type of comment is required for it to submit. Just hitting the space bar a couple times doesn't appear to work, either. I do believe that just a simple period will go through as a log, though and looks essentially like a blank log.

My daughter (Murasaki)

what made you decide on that name, if i may ask.

as someone with 1 find so far, before i saw this thread i was wondering if i have to log every find, or can i just go out looking for caches? i wouldn't take anything, just go find it and sign the log. i still don't know the answer.

My daughter (Murasaki)

as someone with 1 find so far, before i saw this thread i was wondering if i have to log every find, or can i just go out looking for caches? i wouldn't take anything, just go find it and sign the log. i still don't know the answer.

No, you don't have to log online if you don't want to. If the owner is so inclined they can read your entry in the paper log in the cache.

It would be helpful though to report any issues to the owner in a timely manner so they can correct it for future finders.

Hope this helps.

Some guy recently posted a on-line log on my cache accusing me of nearly destroying his car causing all sorts of severe damage going between two stages of my multiple cache. He had to abandon the hunt and find a service station. Apparently his auto-navigation system took him over a mountain road I never knew existed instead of following the less direct but easier to drive asphalt roads. Or he just followed the short way acording to his GPS arrow (he only has 10 finds). I admit I took it somewhat personal for about three weeks. I then posted a note that reminds future cachers to stay on the asphalt.

While I didn't enjoy the criticism, and I don't blame myself for his problems, his log and my followup post may help others in the future from the same predicament.

My daughter (Murasaki)

There are no hard and fast rules to participate in geocaching. The way MOST do it, is to find teh cache, sign the paper log, then also sign the log online. Trading, while encouraged, is not a requirement to log a cache.

Do you NEED to log online? Yes, if you want to keep track of where you have been online. No, if you don't want to keep track of where you have been online - this requires you to kep track at home, unless you don't mind revisiting caches by accident.

I think you SHOULD log online, for the following reasons: (1) It lets the cache owner know there is activity on their cache, (2) It lets others know of possible problems, (3) Is a way to show appreciation to the cache owner and (4) can often tell a good story for the amusement of all.

Trading swag items is optional, but not everyone does it. In addition, some people make 'signature items', things that are representative of themselves, things like custom 'business' cards and such. I try to trade normal swag for normal swag and sig item for sig item. Again, while fun, is OPTIONAL.

So:

Log online: Depends on your goals

Trade: Totally optional.

Happy caching!

My daughter (Murasaki)

"Murasaki" means "purple" in Japanese. Daughter is fascinated with foreign languages. Japanese is one of her favourites. Purple is her favourite colour. She "adopted" the name and is thinking of having it legally changed... probably won't happen, though. :ph34r:

*back from camp* GR8 2 weeks! :anibad::blink::laughing::laughing::anicute:

So the OP is complaining about how his log posts are percieved. And no one can check his stats...

If you have a problem with log posts, don't write anything, just click Found It, and post no comments (or TNLN). THat will update the database with that the cache exists (for maintainers, and other finders).

If you have a problem with people not trusting your find count, convince GC.com to implement a CacheID feature (like travel bugs have), that must be reported in the Found It log, to prove you found the cache. Though cheating could still occur, it would be far less likely, and less disputed. At present, GC.com refuses to do this, maintaining that a cache must be a container with a log book.

From my perspective, folks who geocache are techno-saavy enough to look up caches, and use a GPS. They're saavy enough to record a log already (and handle travel bugs). Getting a CacheID is pretty trivial to them.

Maybe some folks really like the old log books. I suspect more people read the logs on the website, than the logbook. I also suspect that there are a lot of people who play for FindCount, and would appreciate some attempt at validation (which in turn validates their experience).

In any case, if the OP has a problem with his logs, he can do whatever he wants. Personally, I'd just stop writing so much in the log.

i think it's just better for you to say "found it" in the web log then to post what you think of every little tid bit. when i fist started i posted every little thing i saw and did but still didn't say the location of the cache. but i have learned people, including my self will go through every log to get better clues. so now i will say if there are muggles or just found it or if Mamabird818 found it first before me and thats it. i don't give anything away in the logs. why? cuz 2 people logged my first hide and said right where i placed it. i then kindly emailed them both and asked them in a nice way to edit there logs when i got no responce i deleted both logs and sent an email saying why i deleted there logs and asked them kindly to repost in a way that will not give away my cache. i did this under the advice from every one here at the Groundspeak Forums. it's not hard to log "Found it TNLN SL TFTC" in fact most of my logs are now saying that. with a few that i did something that was fun or funny like (GCJ1KX) "Vector Sees Stars!" my post was like this:

August 15 by b1rdbrain (85 found)

Found a whole snakes skin when i found the cache. i made Mamabird818 jump a mile. it was sooooo funny. thank you EMC of Northridge for telling me about this cache. we paid the $3 and kicked it up there for about 1/2 hour. TNLN SL TFTC

(INSERT MEAN COMENTS ON HOW NOT TO PICK UP ANYTHING FROM THE ENVIROMENT HERE)

My moms post says this:

August 15 by Mamabird818 (85 found)

dadgum that son of mine. he chased me with a snake skin up here. TNLN SL TFTC

(INSERT MEAN COMENTS ON HOW I TREATED MY MOTHER ON A CACHE HERE)

:laughing::anibad::huh::o:P

i think it's just better for you to say "found it" <snip> it's not hard to log "Found it TNLN SL TFTC" in fact most of my logs are now saying that.

Many find such logs offensive because, obviously, you thought the cache sucked or else you would have written a more "personal" log. Or did you really NOT find it and you are just "armchair logging", with the same cookie cutter logs, just to boost your smiley count?

Believe it or not, these are real reactions from real cache owners. You can't win that easily.

OBTW, I now claim 424,567 finds, none of which are virtuals, none of which are "pocket caches", none of which are events.

I AM TOP DAWG! ------------------- Since I don't log online, care to prove my number is bogus? :D:lol:

Dude you are still 600 behind me :laughing:

hm. Both of you pale in comparison to Guitar Nutz and Jamz!

By the way, if no one ever logged one of my caches online, that would be alright with me...as long as they signed the cache logbook and had a good time hunting for it, that's what matters anyhow...

I would call that a success for both of us! :shocked:

Unless you check your caches hourly, how would you know ?

500 people could find it, sign the log and not log it online and the owner would never know.

You want to participate, then participate. Don't like to log, then "Found it" is simple enough.

What if you were a 6 year old who put out their first cache was waiting for someone to find

it and 20 people did, but no one logged it... ?

I don't say make it a rule.. but it is part of the game. As rules are part of any game. Ever play Monopoly ?

Would the OP make as many moves as he wants, just because he feels free to do it ?

So he doesn't want to log. So don't log, don't participate if that's what you want, snivel...

take you GPSr and go home. or play cards or monopoly or even chutes and ladders, with no rules....

But, if you are going to play, then follow at least the guidlines. "Found it !" is enough.

What you think is lame, may not be to someone else. Or maybe to a little kid. Unkind

comments about how lame a cache is can be very hurtful. Type "found it" and then move on.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't say make it a rule.. but it is part of the game. As rules are part of any game. Ever play Monopoly ?

Would the OP make as many moves as he wants, just because he feels free to do it ?

Have you ever played Monopoly® with "special" rules, like putting money in the middle of the board and a person who lands on "free parking" collects the pot?

Why do you assume that if a person does not like one (informal) rule (logging online, BTW, is NOT a "rule") and chooses not to do it that they are some kind of anarchist and flaunt ALL rules? Quite a stretch, I'd say.

If geocaching was a "tournament" or a professional sport, then your argument would have validity. But as it is with only "guidelines" and not "rules" and no prizes or penalties, who are you to criticize the way another plays if it does no harm to others?

If I play Monopoly® by MY rules, it doesn't change the rules on the box or how anyone else should play.

But, if you are going to play, then follow at least the guidlines. "Found it !" is enough.

What you think is lame, may not be to someone else. Or maybe to a little kid. Unkind

comments about how lame a cache is can be very hurtful. Type "found it" and then move on.

Just my 2 cents.

Interesting to note that I have NEVER logged a cache as "lame" or in any other derogatory manner whatsoever. Also interesting to note that many people seem to consider logs like "found it" to mean "I thought the cache sucked". This is my point- you can't win, so perhaps its better not to log at all.