Recomendations For Ce Applications

As many may have read, in my search for a cheap/free palm pilot, I got a Dell Axim X5 running windows CE 2003.

I tried installing GPXSonar, but doens't run.

What should I run?

I know I need to run gsak....and it runs fine. Any sugesstions for the best CE app?

Thanks in advance.

GPXSonar should run just fine on your PDA. Some people who first get a Pocket PC have a bit of a learning curve on how to install software to the PDA. Also some applications will install in the directory you specify, but then create a short cut that points to the default location instead of where you told it to install.

If that's the case you can delete the orginal shortcut (Windows/Start Menu/Programs) and copy another short cut into that directory and it should run.

Edited by Renegade Knight

GPXSonar should run just fine on your PDA. Some people who first get a Pocket PC have a bit of a learning curve on how to install software to the PDA. Also some applications will install in the directory you specify, but then create a short cut that points to the default location instead of where you told it to install.

If that's the case you can delete the orginal shortcut (Windows/Start Menu/Programs) and copy another short cut into that directory and it should run.

I tried installing with the exe and the cab file. It seems to install correctly, but the executable that it gives me both in the programs directory and in programs folder for gpxsonar, is not an executable. It says that components are missing.

Anyways, cachemate seems like a good solution unless I am informed that gpxsonar is much much better.

thanks for your help!

CAB files are typically copied to the PDA and run to do a direct install.

EXE files are typically run on the PC and install via Activesync. Active sync can let you (with the right setting) specify the directory you want to install the program in. CAB files tend to intall to the default directory. If you used both then they could have written conflicting info to the Start Menu short cut creating the situation where the link points to the wrong spot. (I'm not 100% on that but it sounds good).