Gpsmap 60CSx Vs Gpsmap 76CSx Help!

B) I am looking at buying either the gpsmap 60csx or the gpsmap 76csx. I have read a lot of information on the forum here, but still am a little confused. so i am going to ask a couple specific questions.

1) is the main difference between them the amount of memory in the unit?

2) as far as the insertable cards go, can you put any size memory in there (128K, 256K, 1 G, etc) and is that where you download or store extra maps like city navigator

3) it seems that they both have a basic map that is not too detailed, is that correct?

4) in order to do turn by turn directions, do i have to buy city navigator?

5) please give me personal insights to help me choose. i am thinking that for the price difference, it would be worth it to get the 76csx for the extra internal memory. also, i went to the store and they didnt really seem to be that much different in weight. personal insights welcome.

thank you all for any help!!! :laughing:

B) I am looking at buying either the gpsmap 60csx or the gpsmap 76csx. I have read a lot of information on the forum here, but still am a little confused. so i am going to ask a couple specific questions.

2) as far as the insertable cards go, can you put any size memory in there (128K, 256K, 1 G, etc) and is that where you download or store extra maps like city navigator

3) it seems that they both have a basic map that is not too detailed, is that correct?

5) please give me personal insights to help me choose. i am thinking that for the price difference, it would be worth it to get the 76csx for the extra internal memory. also, i went to the store and they didnt really seem to be that much different in weight. personal insights welcome.

1) Yes

2) Yes - Only supports up to 1 Gig

3) Yes

4) Yes

5) I have the 76csx, really the biggest difference is the memory and the size. I think the rebate was to get rid of some of the 76 units because the 60 is more hand-compatable :laughing: Really didn't take me too long to get used to the bulkier 76, just a personal preference I guess.

I originally bought the 76CS for the extra memory. That is no longer a factor with the x units since maps can be stored on the microSD card. Other differences include: 76CSx is "larger" but has the antenna internally - the 60CSx is "smaller" but the antenna sticks up off the top making it kind of the same size. 76CSx has the buttons on the top half and 60 CSx has the buttons on the bottom half. Personally I **like** the buttons on the top but folks who have never used the unit always say they think that's a terrible placement. I just replaced my 76CS with a new 76CSx. The memory size is now irrelevant but I stayed with the 76 series because I like it a lot. Also, there was a $100 rebate on the 76CSx when I bought it. That made it a total no brainer of a decision. :laughing:

You can use up to a 1GB microSD card. I believe that is the largest one you will find for sale. Do NOT get an "ultra" card for the 60CSx or 76CSx. They are reported to work fine in some other units but have been reported to cause issues in these two series of units. Yes, the microSD card is where you place maps and custom POIs.

Both have a base map. I don't find it very useful or detailed.

Autorouting with City Select (which is now replaced by City Navigator) is awesome. Yes, there are some errors in the maps and the routing sometimes is funky or just plain wrong. However, MOST of the time it totally rocks. I love it and am extremely glad that I bought the mapping software. Autorouting with the base map will be horrid.

As stated above the extra memory really isn't an issue now. With a 1GB card (I was just playing around with it to see what fit) I put Alaska, all of Canada, and the U.S. from the Pacific coast to the Eastern border of Kansas and also the entire Boston area on the card and it isn't full.

I bought the 76CS originally due to the extra mapping memory and stayed with the 76CSx when I upgraded because I love the unit. Get either one based on how it feels in your hand, how the button placement appeals to you, etc. I like the buttons on the top. I hold the entire unit securely in my hand and use my thumb to run the buttons. However, the general concensus seems to be that folks prefer to purchase the 60CSx. They like the buttons on the bottom and they feel like it is smaller due to the antenna being outside.

Best of luck. You will likely be happy with either unit. It will just depend on your own personal taste.

I have never really used the 60CSx, but I do own the 76CSx. There is no doubt that the 76 is bulkier, but I agree with the arlsdaddy. I instantly got used to it. I do wish the buttons were on the bottom half of the device. When using the buttons, the screen is not blocked by my hand as long as I am looking straight at it. The rebate was a big deciding factor when finding a GPSr for myself ($339.99 after shipping, taxes, and rebates from gpsdiscount.com). I have already received and deposited the rebate.

It's a great unit. From what is sounds like, it's basically equivelant to the 60CSx minus the larger case. At least my unit will float if I take it swimming with me. If you look at Garmin's website, they list the specs of each device. If you get a discount such as mine, it's worth it.

You can see the unit in my hand at this benchmark.

Edited by Seedillume

When I was making this particular decision it came down to size of the unit. All other things seemed pretty much the same so that paying considerably more seemed silly. I felt that the Map76 was bigger than it needed to be, the buttons on the Map60 can be reached by the thumb while holding the unit steady (ie. one-handed operation) - I couldn't see that happening with the bigger unit. I ended up buying the 60CSx figuring that I would add a larger memory card. But I have not actually done that because I find I can get all the needed maps into the memory that came with it. Room for POIs is not an issue (I have 12000 POIs and they occupy about 1.3 meg)

The features that I have found to be the biggest impact in actual geocaching are the custom POIs and the SiRF technology.

I do think that the 60CSx is more steady in the hand, but I can still use my 76CSx with one hand without a problem.

A lot fo people do want a big memory stick in their units. However, unless they are adding the whole U.S. at once, I think 512mb is more than enough. I have City Select maps for the whole western half of CA, ALL of Southern CA, and Topo maps (U.S. Topo for Garmin) for Southern CA in my unit. They take 120mb

2) Yes - Only supports up to 1 Gig

How do you know that? Not long ago Garmin stated 512MB as a maximum.

I would guess 2GB would work fine when it comes out, but not sure if 4GB woud work.

I did own a 76S and know have 60CS. I would never go back to the biggger unit with the button above the display.

Edited by jotne

The SanDisk roadmap promises 2GB microSD cards this year. There's no obvious reason why they should not work on the x-series Garmins, but then, there's no obvious reason why the ultra microSD cards should be incompatible, yet this appears to be the case. 4GB SD cards are now becoming available, but I have as yet seen no advance indication that microSD will go beyond 2GB. Anything beyond 2GB requires the use of a filesystem other than FAT16, usually FAT32, and this brings its own compatibility problems. These have been solved in high-end digital cameras with CF cards.

Back on the main topic, am I right that the feature sets of the 60CSx and 76CSx are identical except for one thing, which is that the 76CSx can handle tide tables? Apart from that, the decision just comes down to cost and case style preference.

They are equivalent units so choose on your form factor preference. The larger memory is mute since you will probably buy a 512 or 1gig card anyway and the one in the unit will go to waste since its so small.

I have the 60csx...I would have purchased the 76 if it had been cheaper (rebate). I think I could live with either form factor.

The SanDisk roadmap promises 2GB microSD cards this year. There's no obvious reason why they should not work on the x-series Garmins, but then, there's no obvious reason why the ultra microSD cards should be incompatible, yet this appears to be the case. 4GB SD cards are now becoming available, but I have as yet seen no advance indication that microSD will go beyond 2GB. Anything beyond 2GB requires the use of a filesystem other than FAT16, usually FAT32, and this brings its own compatibility problems. These have been solved in high-end digital cameras with CF cards.

Back on the main topic, am I right that the feature sets of the 60CSx and 76CSx are identical except for one thing, which is that the 76CSx can handle tide tables? Apart from that, the decision just comes down to cost and case style preference.

They are equivalent units so choose on your form factor preference. The larger memory is mute since you will probably buy a 512 or 1gig card anyway and the one in the unit will go to waste since its so small.

I have the 60csx...I would have purchased the 76 if it had been cheaper (rebate). I think I could live with either form factor.

I just ordered a 76CSx and will probably order a larger memory card for it after I receive the GPSr and become accustomed to it. Going from an eTrex Vista which worked very well for me (see the Garage Sale subforum), I will have to get used to the different placment of buttons. The ability to float will probably never get tested while I own the 76CSx, unless I decide to enter the Ted Kennedy Drive-Alike Contest ("..... and when ah returrrrnnnned, Mary Jo and the GPS were gonnnnnnnne.......") :unsure:, but the other features will be great. The 60 and 76 series have similar displays, so the rest of the decision is up to personal preference.

I'm probably going to get a 60cx now because of the rebate. I have a 60 cs and a 72 now. I like both units, and my only real (though fairly minor) complaint with the 72 is the button placement. If it wasn't for that, I might consider the 76cx.

One other thing though... I've seen my friend's 60cx in action, and the reception on this thing is absolutely outstanding. He can get a lock on several sats inside his house. Can the 76cx compete with that? I always felt that my 72 had slightly less than average reception.

BTW, is the compas in the 60csx the same as the one in the 60 cs?

I have the 60CSx. Really love the way it sits in my hand. My priorities when buying were:

1) Size - small enough to fit in the pocket of my baggy shorts, but a screen big enough to be able to see without taking off my glasses. I am so impressed by the screen, clearly visible even in direct sunlight!

2) Sensitivity - Hike everything from alpine mountains both above & below treeline and canyons. It excels at getting and holding onto a signal. Even under Ponderosa pines, I get accuracy below 20' most of the time (usually around 14'-15').

3) Ease of carrying - the 60CSx has a screw-in button on the back that clips into a cell-phone-like swivel belt clip that I find very handy. I think the 76CSx just has a lanyard (I think).

One of my hiking partners has the 76CSx and does seem to lose a little sensitivity under the tree cover, due to the internal antenna I'm sure.

I don't think you can go wrong with either unit, but I would suggest going to a store and holding each one to see which feels the best.

I have the 60CSx. Really love the way it sits in my hand. My priorities when buying were:

1) Size - small enough to fit in the pocket of my baggy shorts, but a screen big enough to be able to see without taking off my glasses. I am so impressed by the screen, clearly visible even in direct sunlight!

2) Sensitivity - Hike everything from alpine mountains both above & below treeline and canyons. It excels at getting and holding onto a signal. Even under Ponderosa pines, I get accuracy below 20' most of the time (usually around 14'-15').

3) Ease of carrying - the 60CSx has a screw-in button on the back that clips into a cell-phone-like swivel belt clip that I find very handy. I think the 76CSx just has a lanyard (I think).

One of my hiking partners has the 76CSx and does seem to lose a little sensitivity under the tree cover, due to the internal antenna I'm sure.

I don't think you can go wrong with either unit, but I would suggest going to a store and holding each one to see which feels the best.

FWIW, since the thread mentions - 2gb and 4gb cards are known to work; currently (late 2008, v3.70 firmware) only 2gb can be used from what I've seen; I'll be testing this out

I have both the 76cs and the 76csx. I've found the csx sensitivity to be MUCH better than the cs...but I can't compare to any 60 version.

the 76 models do only have the lanyard, no screw-in button.