Different Code Prefix For Events?

arpegio

Maybe this hasn't happened to anyone else, but I was running around with some friends and they asked about the geocaching thing and I didn't have notes with me, but I noticed a cache was nearby so I decided to show them what it was all about.

Unfortunately I realized after about 20 minutes of searching in the hot sun, that the cache on my GPS was one of those virtual caches marking a future event spot!

Is there any way to code these non-caches as something other than GCxxxx? Maybe I was stupid for not looking it up but sometimes if you see an icon nearby, it's nice to try to zero in on it quickly. These event waypoints should not be confused for legitimate caches in my opinion. I know they can probably not be downloaded to the GPS, but I like having them in there, but there should be a different ID since it's not a real cache.

If you don't want to filter out waypoints that are something other than a container at the posted coordinates, GSAK and Spinner are two examples of third-party software that allow you to intelligently re-name a whole file worth of waypoints. I use Spinner, and at a glance at my GPS screen I can tell the cache's truncated GC number, its cache type, its terrain and difficulty rating, and whether it has a travel bug in it. You can configure these programs to name your waypoints in pretty much whatever way works best for YOU.