Need Info...

I have a local Cemetery I want to place a cache in, because there's a famous Gang buried there. Well, I checked it out over the weekend... I hadn't been there in YEARS. When you get there you have to cross a cattle guard and pull through a pasture to get to it. I have been assured it's a public Cemetery. When you pull up there's signs that say to Please close all gates and not to plant Trees or shrubs. I think that I can get permission to do the cache there, but I need something I can use to cover it. I thought about Plaster of Paris, but was told it'll melt, and that Quik-Crete will work, so I'll probably do this. My question is, Would other cachers look for it, when I get proper permission, or would coming upon the cattle guard scare some/most off? I would put in the description of it and such. I just more or less want to see if it's a waste of time to make a cover to make the container look like a rock and getting permission before I do it...

Sounds like a cache I'd love to find.

I think alot will like it. In the log book, I'm gonna put the co-ords to the graves of the gang. I'm gonna place it close to the gates. I just wasn't real sure if the cattle guard would scare some off. I think as long as I get permission and tell them about it all would be fine.

Before I go out to get permission, I’m gonna have it all ready to show the person I talk to what it’ll look like.

I found a cemetery cache like that pretty recently. Signs on the gate and instructions on the cache page explained to me that I needed to open and close the gate to keep livestock out of the cemetery. Driving down the dirt road through the pasture, and playing with the gate, made that cemetery cache experience stand out to me as something new and different. I would link you to the cache, but we did not much care for the actual placement of the container, just a few feet away from a family's plot. It sounds like you are on the right track towards a respectful cache placement -- giving the coordinates to the interesting grave as a virtual point of interest is much better, IMHO. The container can be hidden along the border of the cemetery, where there is usually a fence, a row of trees or shrubs, piles of debris, etc. to serve as a hiding place. Also, reading on the cache page that it is hidden with permission always makes me feel better about a cache going in. From what you've described, I would very much like to find your cache.

I enjoy caches that bring me to old, historical cemetaries, or a VERY notable marker in a current cemetary. If well done, they bring me to a place I would not have known about, and we then usually spend 30 minutes or more looking at the different stones, commenting on the ages, or years the people lived (or died). Usually the cache is something small, without much of a container to trade items with. The point of the cache is the cemetary itself.

We treat a visit to a cemetary as a special visit, and are very respectful of the history there. We try not to trod over the casket area (although that is sometimes difficult, depending on the cemetary), since that is the way I was brought up. Growing up, we went to visit family graves on Memorial Day, and always looked for a few memorable markers. I remember one that said "Daddy's little buddy", for a boy that died when he was about 6 years old. Considering how LONG ago that was (I am now 49, and remember doing that when I was a child), it must have made a big impression on me! Shouldn't we pass that respect onto our own children?

You can also use info on the gang's grave to provide an offset to the cache. If you don't get permission to place the cache in the cemetery, then that way you can hide it nearby and still highlight the interesting site.

I'll keep that in mind. I plan on writing about the gang on the cache page.

I found a cemetery cache like that pretty recently. Signs on the gate and instructions on the cache page explained to me that I needed to open and close the gate to keep livestock out of the cemetery. Driving down the dirt road through the pasture, and playing with the gate, made that cemetery cache experience stand out to me as something new and different. I would link you to the cache, but we did not much care for the actual placement of the container, just a few feet away from a family's plot. It sounds like you are on the right track towards a respectful cache placement -- giving the coordinates to the interesting grave as a virtual point of interest is much better, IMHO. The container can be hidden along the border of the cemetery, where there is usually a fence, a row of trees or shrubs, piles of debris, etc. to serve as a hiding place. Also, reading on the cache page that it is hidden with permission always makes me feel better about a cache going in. From what you've described, I would very much like to find your cache.

When my Brother (mudden) and I first arrived at the Cemetery entrance we didn't remember it at all having a cattle guard. Then we realized that the cemetery was on down a bit and we'd be driving through a pasture to get to it. I had already talked to many and knew it was a public cemetery. How ever mudden wasn't really sure about going on in. He finally drove on up. The way he reacted told me I may need to check and see if anyone else would be bothered by the fact that you'd be driving through a pasture. I didn't see any cows/bulls where we were, but there were signs that it is used at times (if you know what I mean lol).

I like caching in cemetaries. before caching I never really thought to go in cemetaries. I kind of figured one trip was enough.(ok bad joke) Caching has shown me some nice cemetaries and makes me think of planning my last geocache. maybe a headstone cache...hmmmm

I enjoy caches that bring me to old, historical cemetaries, or a VERY notable marker in a current cemetary. If well done, they bring me to a place I would not have known about, and we then usually spend 30 minutes or more looking at the different stones, commenting on the ages, or years the people lived (or died). Usually the cache is something small, without much of a container to trade items with. The point of the cache is the cemetary itself.

We treat a visit to a cemetary as a special visit, and are very respectful of the history there. We try not to trod over the casket area (although that is sometimes difficult, depending on the cemetary), since that is the way I was brought up. Growing up, we went to visit family graves on Memorial Day, and always looked for a few memorable markers. I remember one that said "Daddy's little buddy", for a boy that died when he was about 6 years old. Considering how LONG ago that was (I am now 49, and remember doing that when I was a child), it must have made a big impression on me! Shouldn't we pass that respect onto our own children?

I have always enjoyed cemeteries. I can spend hours in them, just looking at the graves. I usually always take flowers with me. If I don't know anyone in there then I place a flower (or two/three) on Baby graves. I take my girls with me each time I go (well almost every time).

I like caching in cemetaries. before caching I never really thought to go in cemetaries. I kind of figured one trip was enough.(ok bad joke) Caching has shown me some nice cemetaries and makes me think of planning my last geocache. maybe a headstone cache...hmmmm

There was a few that mentioned that in the last subject I started, before I planed my cemetery caches. I now have 4 and working on another 6. Most all of them aren't used often, or are, but the cache is near an older one.

I was asked about the title of one (GCWR8X) of mine. I named it what I did, because of how old it is and the fact if you will look around, there's alot of unmarked ones, and a group of 6-8 baby graves that only have the date and the words "Born and Died" on them.

I love cemetary caches. I'm a history buff and sometimes just looking at the old gravestones and some of the most beautiful inscriptions and artwork, I am reminded of a time where people actaully cared about appearances and how they were remembered. It also makes me appreciate how far we have come in the medical field. Some of the most notable cemetaries I've visited are the ones that are hidden and overgrown in obscure areas that you simply stumble over. There are many of them in the Smoky Mtns and quite a few I've falled for (painfully no less) in the Allegheny Mtns. I'd love to find a cache hidden near one of them to give me an excuse to go back do a little weeding and visit the babies and the soldiers who have been forgotten for so many years.

I assume by gang you are referring to one of the Wild West gangs, and not a modern one? :laughing:

I woudn't want to follow the trail of the bloods or crips. :o

If it is the former, then I think it is a cool idea. Cemeteries are more than just storage facilities. I think most folks in OK would know how to handle a cattle guard? :o

I saw several caches in Dallas that followed Bonnie and Clyde's trail. They took me to places I probably wouldn't have visited if the cache wasn't there. :unsure:

I am still stumped on the cover for the container. I think what I'm going to do is make a holder, place a steel bowl of some kind (or a metal bowl of some kind) in the middle of it and then pour Quick-Crete over it. Let it dry, break off the holder and paint it. Then place it over the container go visit the people who live behind the Cemetery and talk with them about placing it just inside the gates of it.

If nothing else they can tell me who else I need to talk to, but being they live right behind the Cemetery I bet they're the ones that own the pasture.

I have a local Cemetery I want to place a cache in, because there's a famous Gang buried there. Well, I checked it out over the weekend... I hadn't been there in YEARS. When you get there you have to cross a cattle guard and pull through a pasture to get to it. I have been assured it's a public Cemetery. When you pull up there's signs that say to Please close all gates and not to plant Trees or shrubs. I think that I can get permission to do the cache there, but I need something I can use to cover it. I thought about Plaster of Paris, but was told it'll melt, and that Quik-Crete will work, so I'll probably do this. My question is, Would other cachers look for it, when I get proper permission, or would coming upon the cattle guard scare some/most off? I would put in the description of it and such. I just more or less want to see if it's a waste of time to make a cover to make the container look like a rock and getting permission before I do it...

As you can see with the posts in this thread, people feel differently about caching a graveyard. I'm on the fence with the idea but I really don't appreciate ending up in a graveyard without fair warning as I was on a cache hunt on Kauai recently. Put it right out there for folks to understand where you are asking them to hunt.

You'll need to provide additional information about the actual hide if you are going to get help you are requesting with the material for it. For what it is worth, a fake gravestone would be bad form in my book because you'll no doubt have people doing things that could be considered disrespectful before finding it.

Topo maps often reveal if a road is listed as a county road (and therefore, publicly funded and therefore, public). Even with a cattle guard, a public road is a public road. Have fun.

Hmmm the map that the site (Find a grave) has the road listed as a county one... I hadn't thought to check that.

As you can see with the posts in this thread, people feel differently about caching a graveyard. I'm on the fence with the idea but I really don't appreciate ending up in a graveyard without fair warning as I was on a cache hunt on Kauai recently. Put it right out there for folks to understand where you are asking them to hunt.

You'll need to provide additional information about the actual hide if you are going to get help you are requesting with the material for it. For what it is worth, a fake gravestone would be bad form in my book because you'll no doubt have people doing things that could be considered disrespectful before finding it.

No, not at all what I am doing. I'm going to make it look like a grayish rock, or sand stone way away from where the headstones are.

edited to add: If you look over my caches you'll see that I state in each of the graveyard ones I have already placed that they are in one.

Edited by wandat24

There's a great cache in Savannah, Georgia called Famous Neighbors

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...06-41dd6b4be9a8

It's a wonderful, fun cemetery cache, one of my all time favorites

The puzzle (offset cache) is not about the famous people buried there, but about the people buried next to them and their complaints about noise and things visitors do.

check it out!

There's a great cache in Savannah, Georgia called Famous Neighbors

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...06-41dd6b4be9a8

It's a wonderful, fun cemetery cache, one of my all time favorites

The puzzle (offset cache) is not about the famous people buried there, but about the people buried next to them and their complaints about noise and things visitors do.

check it out!

This reminds me of Jim Morrison. The 30 year lease is up on his cemetery plot (apparently they do that in the country he is buried in.) The cemetery wants to evict him because of the people who come and make noise and leave alcohol and drugs at his grave. How big a party animal are you to be kicked out of a cemetery after being dead for 30 years? The Doors rocked by the way.

I guess I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with a cache in a cemetery. Some of my favorite caches are in historical cemeterys in the area.

Cemetery caches are fine, and I have yet to seek one that I didn't enjoy.

It would be especially good if you:

1. Get the owner/caretaker's permission, and say so on the cache page.

2. Hide the cache AWAY from the actual graves so there will be NO possibility of cachers tampering with the markers.

3. Give the additional co-ordinates to the actual site(s) of interest, and include as much background information as possible on the cache page.

As far as cattle-guards go, they are part and parcel of rural/desert caching here in Arizona! I have crossed more than a few that held caches, or stages of multi-caches.

If I had $1 for every cattle-guard I have crossed while caching, that Garmin 60CSx would be on it's way to my house right now!

I have put this on hold for just a little while longer. My husband just put in an order for some ammo cans. He was ordering himself some for re-loading and decided to order enough I could have some for caching. As soon as they come in (should be a week from today) I will get it ready and go talk to the caregiver (or at lest the person that owns the house behind the Cemetery). I think what I'm going to do is place it near the gates and place sandstone over it. Make like a little cubby and put one on top. I was weed eating and found I still have about 10 large pieces of it left by my mother-in-law's flower bed she took out when she moved.

Anyone still reading through this, or will soon.

I have the stuff typed up, and would like anyone that can give me some pointers (as to if it'd be too long for people to read on the cache page itself) please PM me and I will PM it to you. I hope to have it ready to submit by this time next week.