Insta-notifications Not Working For 10+ Days

fishiam

For almost two weeks now, I have received no Insta-notifications of new caches. My query is set for 10 miles from my home coordinates and there have been more than a half dozen caches published the past two weeks that have not generated a notice - but should have, including one about an hour ago (GCX4ZC, which is 9.1 mi from my home coordinates). Several other Seattle area cachers are experiencing the same trouble (though others are not). I never changed anything on the query page and looking at my settings, there does not appear to be anything wrong at all. Once guess is that I am within 2 weeks of my annual premium membership expiring and haven't renewed that yet (of course I will do so) ... could there be some link there?

peace

fishiam

For almost two weeks now, I have received no Insta-notifications of new caches.

Yesterday, the site sent you 10 instant notification emails. All emails were sucessfully delivered to your provider, almost all of them in under 5 seconds.

Did you receive these 10 emails and were expecting more, or did you not receive them at all?

:) Elias

Although I have been getting the notifications, they have been arriving late.

I checked the email logs, and every email we sent you yesterday was delivered within 15 seconds of being generated. If you want to send me a PM with the headers from one of the late emails, I'd be happy to take a look to see where the delay might be.

I checked the email logs, and every email we sent you yesterday was delivered within 15 seconds of being generated. If you want to send me a PM with the headers from one of the late emails, I'd be happy to take a look to see where the delay might be.

I never got them. They show as sent to fishiam@yahoo.com?

For almost two weeks now, I have received no Insta-notifications of new caches.

Yesterday, the site sent you 10 instant notification emails. All emails were sucessfully delivered to your provider, almost all of them in under 5 seconds.

Did you receive these 10 emails and were expecting more, or did you not receive them at all?

I also checked my Spam folder and they weren't sent into there either. Yahoo mail recently upgraded and that transition occurred about the same time I stopped getting the notifications, but I don't know that it was at the same time. I seem to get all my usual emails from other cachers, colleagues, etc.

Yesterday and today I have been getting them promptly. It was last week when they seemed to be delayed.

I sent you an email with the headers for one notification I should have received Friday afternoon or evening, but didn't get until Saturday morning . . . That was the one that had already been found, and logged, by four people . . .

Edited by Miragee

I never got them. They show as sent to fishiam@yahoo.com?

Yes, I'll send you the log entries for these emails in a PM.

B) Elias

Interestingly I live in the same general area as the OP (Seattle) and I too have not been getting any notifications. There have been at least 2 in the last 3 days that I received no notification about. I don't use yahoo though, I use gmail.

Edit to add: The last "[GEO] Notify: " email I received was on July 11th at 5:33pm Pacific.

Edited by slightlynorth

They seem to be working for me, but in the last week I've gotten two that were way outside of my regular radius for that notification. The one I got today was a Traditional, and I have the radius on those set to 10 miles from my home coords. This one however was for a cache 28.5 miles away.

I've confirmed that the base coordinates for that search have not changed and it's still set to 10 miles. Weird.

I also want to add that they are not being blocked by Gmail's spam filters. I have poured though all my emails looking for some reason they are missing, and have come to the conclusion that they are not getting to my inbox.

Not having notifications of new caches near my home is not good. It is one of the major reasons I paid for a premium membership. :laughing:

I'm in the general area (Renton) and have been having no problems with notifications. I compare them with the PQ's that come in twice a week and have not seen any surprises within my notification range. BTW I use Comcast for e-mails, if that has any bearing on the 'problem'.

They seem to be working for me, but in the last week I've gotten two that were way outside of my regular radius for that notification. The one I got today was a Traditional, and I have the radius on those set to 10 miles from my home coords. This one however was for a cache 28.5 miles away.

I've confirmed that the base coordinates for that search have not changed and it's still set to 10 miles. Weird.

My notifications have been screwed up for two weeks also. There haven't been any new placements in the area, so that isn't a problem. However, the ones I have gotten are beyond my specified distances. No changes in my setup either.

I set up notifications on our account to notify us on "Published" logs, and received a few new cache alerts to our e-mail. Last week, however, it stopped notifying us. There have been 19 micros published within 10 miles (our alert distance) that we haven't been notified about. I do check my e-mail frequently, and am wondering what has happened? I believe others have been receiving the alerts on them, though, with the rapidity of which some of them have been found.

Any suggestions? Any idea what is going wrong? I didn't set it up to eliminate micros... some of the first notifications were micros, too.

Not that I am particularily interested in going after this series... but that is another story. I have my own preferences on what to hunt for, and am not looking for a lot of urban micros to pad my numbers.

I determined today that when a notification is queried it ends up taking the first notification you set up in the system instead of handling all of them. As a result it was only evaluating the first record it found, so if the first record didn't end up sending an email you didn't get an email at all. This has been corrected.

Let me know if you see any other strangeness.

I determined today that when a notification is queried it ends up taking the first notification you set up in the system instead of handling all of them. As a result it was only evaluating the first record it found, so if the first record didn't end up sending an email you didn't get an email at all. This has been corrected.

Let me know if you see any other strangeness.

Well, nothing has changed in regards to my situation. There was a flurry of new caches published this evening in the Seattle area (including one by my daughter that was about 2 miles from my home coordinates). None of the 5 or 6 new caches within 13 miles of my home coordinates resulted in an Instant-Notification sent to my email. As I've said before (I think) I get all other kinds of email from the site - logs on my caches, pocket queries, a notice when someone archives a nearby cache .... but NOTHING on new caches. I deleted my old Instant Notifications and created new ones. Still nothing. So something strange is still going on. At any rate, the other FTFers here in the city are thrilled at my predicament - most of them are experiencing no problems - though at least one other is and I've informed Elias about that person who is in the same predicament.

Well, nothing has changed in regards to my situation.

Further up the page I saw that Elias already researched and discovered that your emails were being delivered from our end. My suggestion to you in the interim to create an alternate address to have them go to that address instead of yahoo. Yahoo has been known to throttle emails from Groundspeak so this would be your best bet for now. I suggest Gmail since I have tested it with no issues.

Jeremy

Further up the page I saw that Elias already researched and discovered that your emails were being delivered from our end. My suggestion to you in the interim to create an alternate address to have them go to that address instead of yahoo. Yahoo has been known to throttle emails from Groundspeak so this would be your best bet for now. I suggest Gmail since I have tested it with no issues.

Jeremy

I hate to say it, but I am in the same boat as fishiam, but I AM using gmail. I'm watching a 15 mile radius around my home in west seattle and haven't seen an email for a new cache that was posted just this evening less than 2 miles away.

However, just to make sure the timing is correct, I will be patient until the next one is published.

I know this doesn't solve the problem if you like getting the notifications on your cell phone, but can you set up a PQ just for caches that haven't been found yet?

Then, just keep refreshing that Preview page when you are at your computer. That way you might still have a chance at those FTFs.

That is an option just until they get this sorted out. :lol:

Jeremy

Sure I will try this but I just want to note that up until 2 weeks ago, there was no issue. I got the notifications just fine. Something then changed. In addition to the user Slightlynorth, there is at least one other Seattle regular (nevcowpok) that also lost access to the Instant Notifications. I worked with Elias on the emails that were being sent and we identified on one particular day that 14 emails were listed as sent to me from Groundspeak but there were 5 that I never got. Apparently, not enough information is retained to determine the content of those 5 (only the headers, not the email contents, is retained) but they had to be Instant Notifications. I have a gmail account and a work account so I'll try one of those. Thanks for paying attention to this and helping to sort it out.

Jeremy

Sure I will try this but I just want to note that up until 2 weeks ago, there was no issue.

I'm aware of that. But it doesn't mean it is Groundspeak's fault that you aren't getting your emails - especially if the logs say that they were delivered. Have you attempted to contact your email provider yet?

I am just curious..... it seems that all of my other geocaching type e-mail is going through (watchlist, weekly notification, e-mail from other users), but the instant notifications haven't gone through. I don't have any filters set up (I use gmail) and they aren't being routed to the spam box. (I'm not that technologically savvy, so I don't know why they would be dumped by gmail.)

I am watching today to see if more of this micro series is published today, and see what happens.

Malia

I'm aware of that. But it doesn't mean it is Groundspeak's fault that you aren't getting your emails - especially if the logs say that they were delivered. Have you attempted to contact your email provider yet?

No I haven't as I wouldn't know who to contact at Yahoo. But many others are experiencing the same problem as I am, including users with gmail and other accounts. Another Seattle area cacher just emailed me saying he was having the same problem. I know Groundspeak shows the emails as sent - I show them all as received except for the Instant Notifications. Why would those be different? I can't imagine an email provider would treat those any differently.

" But many others are experiencing the same problem as I am, including users with gmail and other accounts. Another Seattle area cacher just emailed me saying he was having the same problem. I know Groundspeak shows the emails as sent - I show them all as received except for the Instant Notifications. Why would those be different? I can't imagine an email provider would treat those any differently.

I actually have been experiencing the same problem around the Houston area. I haven't received any notices in about two weeks. I use AOl and have been getting all my other GEO mail. I thought maybe the INsta-Notifcation was disabled so I checked it this morning but it denotes it is still enabled. It was frustrating b/c I just got the FTF bug and have been missing all the new caches! It doesn't make sense for it to be a SPAM filter or something b/c otherwise the rest of GEO mail would not come in...Hmmm... :laughing:

Edited by hardings

I'm having the same problem and I'm in the UK. My notification e-mails stopped arriving at about the same time and nothing's changed my end. All other gc.com e-mails are arriving fine and I check my spam folder every day.

I've raised a ticket for it but I thought I'd mention it here too.

Lisa

I know Groundspeak shows the emails as sent - I show them all as received except for the Instant Notifications. Why would those be different? I can't imagine an email provider would treat those any differently.

I don't know either. But as of just a few minutes ago, we've successfully delivered 11 Instant Notifications to you today so far.

:laughing: Elias

I actually have been experiencing the same problem around the Houston area. I haven't received any notices in about two weeks. I use AOl and have been getting all my other GEO mail.

We sent 2 Instant Notifications to you this afternoon and the AOL servers confirmed receipt. Can you confirm you didn't receive them?

I'm having the same problem and I'm in the UK. My notification e-mails stopped arriving at about the same time and nothing's changed my end. All other gc.com e-mails are arriving fine and I check my spam folder every day.

We successfully delivered 3 Instant Notifications to you today between 5:00 AM PDT (GMT -7) and 3:00 PM PDT. Did you not receive these?

I am also not getting the emails to my Yahoo account. I am in England as well.

I still managed to get the FTF anyway, because I noticed a new cache in my PQ :laughing:.

The cache was "GCX38J", and it wasn't blocked by my spam filter.

Thanks

Gary (KiwiGary)

We have not been getting the email notifications for the last week to 10 days either. We live in California near Sacramento. I get all the other email from Groundspeak, the weekly new cache listings, when someone logs my TB's, or into one of my caches. but no NEW cache listings.

I have missed at least 10 new caches. So what is going on??

Edited by Glen&Nancy
I know Groundspeak shows the emails as sent - I show them all as received except for the Instant Notifications. Why would those be different? I can't imagine an email provider would treat those any differently.

I don't know either. But as of just a few minutes ago, we've successfully delivered 11 Instant Notifications to you today so far.

:D Elias

I did receive every one of the emails that originated from Groundspeak today - but none of those were Instant Notifications in the sense I am talking about, i.e., the notifications that (used to be)/are sent out when a new cache is published wihtin X miles of one's home coordinates. Those kinds of notifications are the only ones I'm not getting. I went through the long headers you sent me for both the emails I successfully received and the ones you sent, but I didn't receive (the new cache notifiactions presumably) and I find absolutely no difference in the content of the headers. Both sets indicate successful sending but ... the results (on my end) are 100% different. I know this must be really puzzling.

cheers

fish

Perhaps one way to address this is to get an idea of what cache you didn't get a notification for. Let me know and I'll run some tests against the queries to see if they return any results.

I'm not doubting you aren't getting them - it's tracking down the why and fixing it. The timing doesn't seem to correspond to any changes on the site.

Perhaps one way to address this is to get an idea of what cache you didn't get a notification for. Let me know and I'll run some tests against the queries to see if they return any results.

I'm not doubting you aren't getting them - it's tracking down the why and fixing it. The timing doesn't seem to correspond to any changes on the site.

OK, here goes - these four caches were published yesterday early evening and I should have received Insta-Notify for them but didn't. I've included the distance from my home coordinates (N 47 39.018 W 122 18.726)

Pure Evil by Camp Latona (GCX7BA) - 0.8 mi N

The New and Improved Miss K cache by Miss K and fishiam (GCX7ET) - 3.6 mi NE (my daughter's cache)

VEM !ÓÛa by FunnyNose (GCX05M) - 4 mi SW

You Can't Always Believe Google Earth by FunnyNose (GCW5Y6) - 7.5 mi S

Hope this helps

-fish

I actually have been experiencing the same problem around the Houston area. I haven't received any notices in about two weeks. I use AOl and have been getting all my other GEO mail.

We sent 2 Instant Notifications to you this afternoon and the AOL servers confirmed receipt. Can you confirm you didn't receive them?

I am not sure how you want me to prove that.....but I just rechecked all my emails from yesterday, which included a bunch of junk mail and three items from Geocaching - a log that some found on of my caches, a log of a TB I am watching, and the weekly cache notification. No Instant Notification of new caches. :D

I did this also. I set up a pocket querry and then just did the preview to see the latest caches. I never get the instant notifications in any consistant maner.

I know this doesn't solve the problem if you like getting the notifications on your cell phone, but can you set up a PQ just for caches that haven't been found yet?

Then, just keep refreshing that Preview page when you are at your computer. That way you might still have a chance at those FTFs.

That is an option just until they get this sorted out. :huh:

We successfully delivered 3 Instant Notifications to you today between 5:00 AM PDT (GMT -7) and 3:00 PM PDT. Did you not receive these?

:huh: Elias

I changed one of my alerts last night to go to my gmail account instead of my yahoo account. One notification has arrived in my gmail account today and none in my yahoo account. Would you be able to confirm which e-mail account(s) those 3 notifications went to? Looks like yahoo may be causing the problem. Is it possible to send me some sort of 'proof of postage' so I have so ammo to go to yahoo with?

Many thanks

Lisa

Edited by minstrelcat

I think I finally sorted out the random nature of how people were missing notifications or receiving notifications outside of their search radius.

We believe that a few weeks ago there was a Microsoft patch applied (though not completely sure if it was a patch or something else) that fixed what would be considered a rather small bug. Unfortunately for us it ended up affecting some rather low-level search code - like rounding off longitude. As a result the calculations were based on a rounded longitude. That made some queries work while other queries did not.

The bottom line is I applied a patch to our own Insta-Notify code which should result in these notifications going out properly again. We'll watch it over the next few weeks and see how it goes. Thanks for everyone's patience during this process!

I think I finally sorted out the random nature of how people were missing notifications or receiving notifications outside of their search radius.

We believe that a few weeks ago there was a Microsoft patch applied (though not completely sure if it was a patch or something else) that fixed what would be considered a rather small bug. Unfortunately for us it ended up affecting some rather low-level search code - like rounding off longitude. As a result the calculations were based on a rounded longitude. That made some queries work while other queries did not.

The bottom line is I applied a patch to our own Insta-Notify code which should result in these notifications going out properly again. We'll watch it over the next few weeks and see how it goes. Thanks for everyone's patience during this process!

Hurrah! I am glad it turned out to be something real and not a product of my evil FTF competitors hacking! :laughing:

peace,

fishiam

Thanks for everyone's patience during this process!

And thank you for being persistent into checking into a problem which was probably very difficult to replicate and identify, when it would have been easier for you to simply blow off all of the various reports.

i am in mesa (phoenix) arizona and i have not received any new notifications.

1 new

new 2

new 3

new 4

new 5

these 5 new geocplants came up when i did a search on new geocaches, but i never got a notice on any of them. 3 of them are new today. i use msn.com for my email. (paying account... broadband from qwest through msn) and i have never had a problem up until maybe 10 days to 2 weeks. infact, i have not received any new notifications at all in the past 10 to 14 days. please help!!!

i tried deleting all my notifications and adding new ones (a soft reset if you will) and i know that my geocaches i just planted recently should be published tonight and i want in anticipation to see if i get the notifications on them all (4 in all)

Hurrah! I am glad it turned out to be something real and not a product of my evil FTF competitors hacking! :anitongue:

peace,

fishiam

Your competitors may have paid me to write that you know :ph34r:

Hmmm, If they have that level of access, then I am truly sunk, But I prefer to believe that you folks at the helm are immune to their petty shenanigans ... right?

:rolleyes:

peace

fish

i am in mesa (phoenix) arizona and i have not received any new notifications.

Note the time of my "fix" post.

i was just hoping that if i posted my info that maybe it would be helpful.

I definitely appreciate the feedback. Let me know if it happens (or doesn't happen) now that the fix is in place!