Need Help From Csx Owner

Help -

My family and I are thinking of upgrading our current Garmin eTrex to a CSx. I want it and want it now but am not sure it handles our 'ideal' geocaching use case. Here goes my question:

Can I download (say 200) geocaches into this thing and store them there so when we find ourselves out and about we can boot this thing up and find caches in the area? We always have our geocaching stuff in our car and sometimes we just find ourselves out with an hour or two to kill and would like to go geocaching.

If it will do this, will it store them on the SD card? If so, is there a limit to the size of the SD card. They come in 2Gig sizes now and I would really like to store all the geocaches for New England or more.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Stepehne

The normal waypoint storage limit is 1000 waypoints. Your etrex can store waypoints as well. The micro-SD card can hold custom POIs and there is no limit other than the card space. These are similar but different to waypoints. Waypoints store up to 14 characters in the name field and 30 in the note field. POIs are 44 and 88.

Are you asking if it will store the whole cache page? No they will not do that. If you want to carry all of the cache page information with you, pick up a cheap Palm or PPC.

The cards are called micro-SD or transflash (NOT SD) and the largest card at the moment is 1 GB.

The CSx units hold 1,000 waypoints. If you want to store more, they can be converted into custom "points of interest" and stored on the micro SD card.

Users have reported success in using cards up to 1GB. I'm not sure of anyone reporting using a 2GB card. I am not sure that they are widely available in this size.

Garmin has a limit on the number of maps you can store on the card (2,048?), so you may not be able to put the entire US onto the unit, but all of New England should be no problem.

Hi Stepehne -

first, I had to get over the 'red sox rules' thing, with a family full of yankees fans. But, we wear our logo stuff proudly when we go to MA altough I think the sox fans are pretty abusive (even to little kids! pretty amazing). :)

however, that said, you can do what you say below. if you become a premium member of geocaching.com ($3/ month or $30/yr), you can create customized pocket queries where you can download files of waypoints to your specs, e.g. where, what kind, along a specific route (new), etc.

the thing that will be missing though is all the good stuff on the logs, hints, etc. because that text is too long to store in waypoint notes fields on your GPS.

you can either print those out in advance, access them from your mobile phone / device on the road (http://wap.geocaching.com/) (should work in a pinch, but depending on your screen size may or may not be what you are looking for - test first from home), or if you have a handheld device, you can get a PRC file which you can load and read with a reader (palm ... must be a pocket PC version too ..windows OS), or can otherwise use some of the software tools listed on geocaching.com to create a file for your handheld. you'll need to update your files before you go on the road, but should work for you...