Garmin Map60c

flame1

On the map 60c the gps is loaded with mapping. the question is when the mapping is full on the gps how do you delete some mapping on the gps to enter some more roads for cities etc. I transfer back to the pc but the mapping is still on the gps. Do I do a restore or what do I do. thanks JPfire

On the map 60c the gps is loaded with mapping. the question is when the mapping is full on the gps how do you delete some mapping on the gps to enter some more roads for cities etc. I transfer back to the pc but the mapping is still on the gps. Do I do a restore or what do I do. thanks JPfire

send the mapset you want..it should replace the existing ones completely.. be sure to put all the maps in it you'd like, regardless of whether they're currently on your unit. that's how you 'delete' maps, by sending a new set. all that will happen when you upload maps from the unit is that it will send the name of the map, and when you look in mapsource, you'll see them highlighted..it doesn't actually send the map data back to your pc.

The mapping on your GPSr is erased (with the exception of the basemap) at the beginning of each upload.

I don't realy understand, if I transfer all waypoints and routes etc to my pc, does that mean that all my information from my gps tranfered also like mapping of the eastern provinces of canada up to ontario, canada.

Like it is the gps is full eaven if I transfer to pc. Could you tell me the steps to cancel some mapping of the eastern coast and let say I would start from northern N.B. to Guelph , Ontario. Thanks JPfire

send the mapset you want..it should replace the existing ones completely.. be sure to put all the maps in it you'd like, regardless of whether they're currently on your unit. that's how you 'delete' maps, by sending a new set. all that will happen when you upload maps from the unit is that it will send the name of the map, and when you look in mapsource, you'll see them highlighted..it doesn't actually send the map data back to your pc.

Ok I will try this tomorrow. Thanks a lot JP fire

Mapsource is the tool on the PC that can manage all this info. You should have the latest version of this - it is free from Garmin to help you with your GPSr,

It makes no sense to extract maps out of the GPSr into Mapsource, since you have the original maps set up on your computer and the maps you have in the GPSr are images of these maps. Clearing maps out is done by transferring a replacement set of maps all at once to the GPSr.

The memory for waypoints is separate from that for the maps; removing maps makes no room for waypoints since the waypoint memory is set aside permanently even before you load any maps. I think the same is true for routes and tracks, but I am not sure about that. (This issue might be different with the newer map60 units where the removable card memory is managed a bit differently).