Caching Hot Spot

As someone who pays close attention to caches within a 20 mile radius of home I have been intrigued by the huge increase of caches in recent weeks. My caching pattern has always tended to average 2 or 3 a trip rather than 15 to 20 a go and I have noticed that my number of unfound caches within 20 miles is now going up faster than I can find them. I ran a Pocket Query last night and found that there have been 51 new caches hidden within 20 miles of Kelsall (middle of Cheshire) since May 1st and out of curiousity I wondered if this area is exceptional or are other places increasing at the same rate.

... and out of curiousity I wondered if this area is exceptional or are other places increasing at the same rate.

No and yes!

However, because an abundance of caches leads to newbies finding lots and then getting keen (if we accept the premise that until people find say 15 they are likely to drop out and lose interest) lots of caches breeds lots of cachers, which breeds lots of caches, and so on. I suspect that in sparse areas, the numbers are not similarly increasing exponentially.

However, because an abundance of caches leads to newbies finding lots and then getting keen (if we accept the premise that until people find say 15 they are likely to drop out and lose interest) lots of caches breeds lots of cachers, which breeds lots of caches, and so on. I suspect that in sparse areas, the numbers are not similarly increasing exponentially.

Looking through the new caches nearly all of them appear to be from the "Usual Suspects" :) so it appears to be a case of existing cachers getting more enthusiastic rather than new people hiding them.

Hi Chas

Don't knock it!!

although mid Cheshire IS cache rich, and yes, Bargee has been chucking out about a million fabulous caches recently, there's still so much more room for more caches.

Being a relatively rural county, we can go for years yet before we get saturated!

Hazel - I didn't want to give the impression I was knocking it at all. I was just intrigued by the large increase in recent weeks and genuinely wondered if Cheshire was the current centre of the universe as far as caching goes.

Chas...

Lol - It was my mistake, but you KNOW that Wirral, Cheshire and S lancs IS the caching capital... best cachers here anyway!!

If it wasn't for that River Mersey in the way, caching life here would be almost perfect!!

Ali... I'll reserve judgement on how good it is there til after the weekend when I've raided some of your caches!

nah! It's still Beds/Bucks/Herts which is the epicentre!

That sounds like a challenge :):D:D

In support of Alibags, consider the challenge duly met.

At the moment I can only use a database that is 2 weeks out of date, but 20miles centred on Hemel Hempstead gave a count of 73 new caches (excluding 2 events) since 1st May. :D:D:D

Wow! 73 new caches since May- I need to move to Hemel Hempstead!

With a grand total of 2 new caches in a 20 mile radius from home since 1st May and only 24 caches total, we're not exactly tripping over tupperware here in the East! Plus one of those new caches was placed by me so I've had 1 new find near home :D

Better start packing........ I fancy a mini caching break is due.................... :)

Funnily enough I was thinking how few caches had been placed near Chester (excluding the explosion on the Wirral) recently! Going into North Wales it's even worse- I can pick up a cache in my lunch hour up to 10 miles (West, South or East of Mostyn docks) and today was my first lunchtime cache since January!

23 new caches since 1st may (of which more than half are Multi/Puzzle caches :)). I must add that the 20 miles radius disadvantages those of us who live on the coast B)B)

There are however 306 that are available or temp archived B)

Edited by Hi-Tek

23 new caches since 1st may (of which more than half are Multi/Puzzle caches B)). I must add that the 20 miles radius disadvantages those of us who live on the coast :laughing::laughing:

Even though we live on the North East coast we have had 77 new caches within 20 miles of home since the 1st May (150 in total). Many thanks to those who have placed these caches and especially to 'lost it' who is on a mission as well as the Metro.

As someone who pays close attention to caches within a 20 mile radius of home I have been intrigued by the huge increase of caches in recent weeks. My caching pattern has always tended to average 2 or 3 a trip rather than 15 to 20 a go and I have noticed that my number of unfound caches within 20 miles is now going up faster than I can find them. I ran a Pocket Query last night and found that there have been 51 new caches hidden within 20 miles of Kelsall (middle of Cheshire) since May 1st and out of curiousity I wondered if this area is exceptional or are other places increasing at the same rate.

This week end 15 new caches have been placed within a 4 mile radius of my home.

Sods law; it the week I go back to work after 14 days off :unsure:

Wow! 73 new caches since May- I need to move to Hemel Hempstead!

With a grand total of 2 new caches in a 20 mile radius from home since 1st May and only 24 caches total, we're not exactly tripping over tupperware here in the East! Plus one of those new caches was placed by me so I've had 1 new find near home :blink:

Better start packing........ I fancy a mini caching break is due.................... :unsure:

nah - try here in North Surrey. According to GSAK, which is always about 6 days behind real life, we have 112 new (ie Since May 1st) caches within 20 miles of home coords. :blink:

Thats out of a total of 631. So either the numbers round here are rocketing up, or we have lots of transient caches!

Dave