Be Honest

There was a recent topic that discussed a certain cache and its placement. I am NOT here to rehash that topic and do not want to see it back here, but I did think it brought up a subject that could be mulled over here. The Topic is " How accurate are your logs, when you log do you, Tell it like it is? or do you sugar coat it?

I understand the fear of being too brutally honest in that you may alianate a fellow cacher or get your log deleted. How honest should you be?

On caches in places I don't like, (dumpster, store front, private yard) I usually say, Not one of my favorite, and thank em for the hunt. Trashy area, mention that it is a CITO opportunity. Should I be more forceful or are these about right?

How do you let somneone know the cache isn't that great?

Discuss :D

I tend to look at caches placed by others in as positive a light as I can. Kinda like my Mom spending hours cooking a special meal, that doesn't appeal at all to my tastebuds. I could be honest and say, "Thanx for dinner, Mom. It really sucked", or I could simply pass on seconds, while thanking her for doing something nice for me.

My logs pretty much follow this pattern.

If I find a cache that's a real stinker, I'll post a TNLNSL, and keep the hider in mind. If I see a pattern of stinkers from the same hider, I'll utilize my Ignore button.

Probably not the best solution, but it's what I do.

I have always viewed caches as a gift of sorts and I was taught to say thank you no matter how much I disliked the gift. That mindset has made it hard for me to be honest in my logs. If I didn't like the cache I would just say thanks and leave it at that.

As the quality of caches seems to be declining in many places and a lot of these caches are obviously being placed solely for the sake of pumping up the owner's hide stats, I'm beginning to see them less and less as gifts. This makes it a bit easier for me to be honest, but I still tend to sugarcoat my logs. I realize that the hider has feelings. Not to mention that there have been some vindictive cache owners who took offense over a less than favorable log and started trouble in the community. We don't need that here.

Its very hard to spare the cache hider's feelings and still convey to him that "your cache sucks".

We were on a hiatus from caching for several months while dealing with a family medical situation. When we started back up it seemed that a lot of uninspired caches had popped up and several have left me wondering what the point was. One cache we did recently had a name that ironically summed up that wonderment. It seemed a waste of a good wooded area that could have had a really cool hide in an area that needed it. Instead it was a pill bottle stuck in the first tree with the only challenge being getting through the thick neck high thorns surrounding it. Being polite, the gist of my log was along the lines of, "left the kids behind while I went through the thorns to get the cache, which was an easy find." That's honest, but not as completely honest. In general I feel it isn't my place to criticize, especially as we don't have any hides (but will soon!).

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm going to edit my log for that cache. I did like the puzzle part, which was very easy, but enjoyable. I feel I should go back and accentuate the positive if you know what I mean.

Here is my log for a cache I didn't like and didn't find.

I really did not enjoy this cache. First off let me say that I like snakes. I have never killed one and often try to change peoples minds about hating them. So anyway after parking next to the bridge and walking across the bridge I headed down to the piles of trash down below. I weeded my way through the poison ivy to where I knew the cache was going to be. As I started around the location to get a better view of the backside I scared up the largest copperhead snake I have ever seen. And I have kept my fair share of copperheads and other snakes and have the bite marks to prove it. This snake was very agressive and he struck at my shoe as I jumped back. I went around to the other side of the hiding spot and saw two maybe more snakes hiding underneath the junk. I gave up the hunt as I didn't want to deal with the snakes and poison ivy. Maybe next winter I'll look again but there really wasn't much here that I want to see again.

Most people would say that I sugarcoat my logs, I guess. Personally, I'm not sure that this is true. I tend to leave just a couple kinds of logs. Most, honestly, are cut and paste logs with something added specific to the cache. This might be a little blip on how much I liked the area, or that it had me stumped for a while. It might be a notification that the container was full of water or otherwise needed help. It could be a mention of how many bags of trash I CITOd.

Sometimes, I'm not left with much from the cache, so I just discuss my overall caching day.

Either way, I can't think of very many bad experiences that I left with that were the fault of the hider. The very few caches that I've looked for at truly disgusting locations ended up with short DNF logs.

After a time, you will develop a 'log style', and most of the other cachers in your area will be able to read between your lines. The quality of the cache will usually determine the quality of my logs. If the cache is really, really wrong, I'll say so in my log, or at least send a PM to the owner. If it's just uninspired (and so, uninspiring) I have taken to logging "Thanks for the :) " since that's about all there is to some of the lamppost/busstop micros that have been popping up lately.

Sometimes my frustration comes through in my logs, although I try to tone it down a bit by the time I get to my computer. However, I think we should be honest in our logs to prepare future seekers for what they will encounter.

Here is one of my recent DNF logs . . .

I drove around the block trying to figure out where my GPSr was directing me. Finally, I found a place to park and walked past the trash truck just as it was negotiating the entrance to the narrow Court. I arrived at GZ and looked around the items mentioned in the hint. I even moved one of them. I thought I should have seen the cache since this is rated a 1/1, but since I didn't, and since I felt uncomfortable looking there, and because the trash truck was getting closer, I decided to call it a DNF . . .

Interestingly, the next person to look for this cache also posted a DNF . . . and it is in the cachers' front yard . . . :)

I tend to look at caches placed by others in as positive a light as I can. ..... If I find a cache that's a real stinker, I'll post a TNLNSL, and keep the hider in mind. If I see a pattern of stinkers from the same hider, I'll utilize my Ignore button.

That is usually my rule of thumb as well, until the final stage of a multi is a horrific shrub dive that is by a dumpster, and has had piles of grass clippings and dog $^1t actually dropped on top of ground zero. I advised via log of the area's condition, as I thought it was a serious health hazard. The log was was promptly deleted. I have since filtered out all of the mindless bush dives from that hider.

I'm tried of trying to say something nice about some the the crummy micros I am finding. Now, all I write is "Micro Spew".

I guess you've developed you 'log style'. I think it's rude, but beyond that I couldn't care less.

If the owner is not putting any thought into the cache why should I put thought into my log?

Well, I have to say that it has been interesting reading this thread thus far, and the other thread of a similar topic. I'm thinking about going back to at least one of my logs and changing it now.

I do feel that it is important to be kind the the cache hider, because they are human and have feelings, and because people tend to take their caches so personally. Just making them mad won't help anything.

OTOH, if you aren't honest to at least some degree, then you're doing a disservice to the seekers who follow you, and you are encouraging carpy hides. So how to split the difference... That's the question for me.

I have probably been more harsh about conditions observed at the cache site rather than the cache itself. Recently when preparing to locate a cache I read a recent log to the effect that there was a soda can underneath the container (in this case an ammo can) causing ants to be drawn to the cache. I was surprised and somewhat taken back when subsequently found the cache and the offending soda can was still there. I mean if you are gonna complain about in the log at least remedy it (since it was an easily corrected CITO issue). I quickly disposed of the can in a park trash bin that was less than 20' away.

Most problems I see with caches lately aren't the fault of the original hider but are CITO issues often caused by cachers (dead batteries etc.) and caches not replaced properly (ammo cans not closed etc.) and then there is always the pocket trash found in abundance in caches.

I think on the most part we should express gratitude for the effort of cache hiders, especially if it is a creative hide or my favorite lately, an urban ammo can sized hide.

I tend to look at caches placed by others in as positive a light as I can. Kinda like my Mom spending hours cooking a special meal, that doesn't appeal at all to my tastebuds. I could be honest and say, "Thanx for dinner, Mom. It really sucked", or I could simply pass on seconds, while thanking her for doing something nice for me.

My logs pretty much follow this pattern.

If I find a cache that's a real stinker, I'll post a TNLNSL, and keep the hider in mind. If I see a pattern of stinkers from the same hider, I'll utilize my Ignore button.

Excellant analogy, and I'll expand on that a little.

Mom used to make stuffed bell peppers for dinner about once a month. I know they are a difficult dish to prepare but I hated them as did most of my brothers, but we ate them every single time without a complaint. Dad told me once "if you don't like something, eat it fast and get it over with".

Years later, Mom found out how much we disliked stuffed bell peppers and it caught her by surprise. All this time she thought we loved them based on the speed we woofed them down. If we had just told her politely how bad we hated bell peppers, she would have moved on to lasagna or something.

Instead of ignoring the repeated stinkers, maybe a polite note would change his placements and lead to lasagna?

I'm tried of trying to say something nice about some the the crummy micros I am finding. Now, all I write is "Micro Spew".
I guess you've developed you 'log style'. I think it's rude, but beyond that I couldn't care less.
If the owner is not putting any thought into the cache why should I put thought into my log?
To not show the world how snarky you can be?

I do get quite irritable visiting caches that the owner put no thought or care into it placement and I don't mind if people know.

A few weeks ago I took a friend out for the first time. The cache was on a light post in the middle of a huge parking lot. Needless to say, he will never go again.

If more people were honest, future cachers could pass on a thoughtless cache and the owner will think more on his next placement. I think everyone benefits.

I do get quite irritable visiting caches that the owner put no thought or care into it placement and I don't mind if people know.

A few weeks ago I took a friend out for the first time. The cache was on a light post in the middle of a huge parking lot. Needless to say, he will never go again.

If more people were honest, future cachers could pass on a thoughtless cache and the owner will think more on his next placement. I think everyone benefits.

That's the difference between you and I. One or two 'lame' caches in a day is not going to make me irritable. For me, the entire caching experience is to give me a release from the pressures of life. Even the lame ones do that very well.

Also, if I am introducing a friend to the game, I make sure that the first one we find is a good one. Most often, I choose one that I've found before that I know he/she will like. Otherwise, I carefully select an unfound one that I'm pretty sure he/she will like. Either way, I try to show my friends the best that the game has to offer. That doesn't make the other caches less worthy.

Mom used to make stuffed bell peppers for dinner about once a month. I know they are a difficult dish to prepare but I hated them as did most of my brothers, but we ate them every single time without a complaint. Dad told me once "if you don't like something, eat it fast and get it over with".

Years later, Mom found out how much we disliked stuffed bell peppers and it caught her by surprise. All this time she thought we loved them based on the speed we woofed them down. If we had just told her politely how bad we hated bell peppers, she would have moved on to lasagna or something.

Instead of ignoring the repeated stinkers, maybe a polite note would change his placements and lead to lasagna?

I think this is an excellent example. I'm sure a lot of people who are placing these junk caches keep on doing it because the reaction seems generally positive. Perhaps critical logs might be doing the owner a favor. The difficult thing though is tactfully telling the owner his cache stinks like dead clams rotting in the July sun.

I while ago, I had a limited amount of time while on a business trip to Maryland. I turned on my GPSr and started caching. The entire time I was in parking lots, not one historic spot, not one interesting location, not a scenic view, no nice walks, nothing. I dealt with traffic and thoughtless cache placements the entire time. I don't know how anyone dealing with that can get a "release from the pressures of life". There was no fun in any of the caches I found then. That is when I started thinking about being more forthright in my logs.

I do agree with you about talking someone for the first time. That is the way to do it but it is not always possible. In my case a friend asked me what my GPSr was while in my car. I explained what it was and about geocaching. He wanted to go right then and we did. That one "find" was enough for him.

I think this is an excellent example. I'm sure a lot of people who are placing these junk caches keep on doing it because the reaction seems generally positive. Perhaps critical logs might be doing the owner a favor. The difficult thing though is tactfully telling the owner his cache stinks like dead clams rotting in the July sun.

I know I would rather have (and had) someone be honest and say my cache stinks then have a bunch of "TFTC" and not knowing people really thought it sucked. (I do think today, anyone who puts a cache under on a lamp post knows it sucks and is doing it because they think it is funny.) I was lucky, when I started placing my first caches, *gln, the MO approver, who I can't say enought good things about, was tough on my placements. He made me think "why would people be interested in finding that cache?" That has been a good guideling for me ever sense. I was also fortunate, some of the first finders were also very tough on me. Because of that I believe I hide better caches. I also think those are the reasons my home area had so many quailty caches and very few parking lot micros.

Never mind.

Edited by CheshireFrog

How would anyone know if you or I were being honest in our log?? I deleted a log on a cache that went on and on about how dangerous my cache was. They mentioned a steep bank next to a rushing river, covered with poisen ivy. My cache was over a mile from the river! They must of had my cache confused with another one.

That log certially wasn't honest. I'm sure it would of kept those caching with children away from a humerous and cute cache that has been enjoyed by many.

Dolphin is a scorpio. He tells it like he sees it. Sometimes, he is wrong, to be sure.

If the cache is boring and uninspired, it might get a 'found it.' If it's bad, I will post such. Yes, I have even posted 'mopping micro spew' on a very unispired set of caches in mall parking lots in an otherwise beautiful area. On the other fin, I love rest stop caches when I'm travelling. Did four on the Mass Pike on Saturday. Just glad they weren't on my Ten Mile List.

I looked back on my logs and did see a pattern. If I liked it I wrote at least 100 words or more. If I thought it was lame, my logs were. " In area, nice hide TFTH".

I think i will be a little more honest on caches I think were Dump-n-post caches. Although, on another note, I think some lamp micros are becoming their own little series. 'off your rocker", "wally world". They are almost like collecting baseball cards or the like, so I don't mind them so much. The other kind of the "I'm .10 mile from my other micro" cache are just lame.

Dang it you got me micro bashing again!!!....back on topic......

I think as a group we need to be more honest on our logs. I will be, but will try to be mindful of the intention of the hider.

if you log honestly, people get offended. If you sugar coat, people get offended. People get offended.

probably it is best to just simply not log a cache if you didn't like it. (or even if you did)

If your numbers are important to you, submit a bogus cache and archive it. Perhaps call it "the cache I hate" and log it as many times as you find caches that you didn't like. No details in the log and no one is the wiser. Maybe this would even be a good public cache if people would log it without identifying information.

Everyone has different standards and that is the fun of this game. I love a great hunt for an ammo in the woods but immensly enjoyed the micros at the rest stops to break up the traveling blues. I really enjoyed a recent micro under the lamp post rim while on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. THe view was fabulous. I treat every hide respectful and also view it as a gift but if I do not like something or have a suggestion I privately email the hider saying how great it is to have another cache to find and NICELY suggest ways for improvements, Most times that I have resorted to doing this they upgraded the find on the next maintence run and thanked me for the suggestion. THEY ARE ALL GIFTS PERIOD!

I'm honest, but I try my best not to be make sure I am not rude with my comments.

If the cache was just uninspired, I try to find something interesting to say about the hunt. Locals do indeed learn to read between the lines, and really anyone should understand that my saying nothing about the cache itself means there wasn't anything to say, really. Someone else may love it, but it didn't thrill me.

If there is a clear hazard, I'll mention it, politely. Posion ivy, too close to a busy road etc--I try to use humor, or to phrase the concern from my perspective by saying something like "I was just sure that I would trip on the curb and fall right into traffic" or "Posion Ivy must be the state flower of Indiana" I also send a short polite note to the cache owner if I think the hazard is something that wasn't there when they placed it (or if they are new, something they might not have thought important).

And if there is a problem that anyone could fix, I will try to fix it myself. Log full or soggy log? I'll slip a strip of water resistant paper into the cache. No swag? I'll drop in some extra. Glass all over? I'll pick it up if it's safe, or at least push it away from the cache area and out from underfoot with my trekking pole. Busted lid, leaky container? I'll swap you for one of the extra ones I carry if I have one like it.

Yeah.....I try to be nice too. And now Im thinking about that......one cache I found was very near a fast canal with warnings not to get close death skulls, etc, and it was placed past the "Do not enter under persecution......." But it was a new cacher, so I just posted a note about not taking young kids to find it, and thank God I didnt fall in.

But another cache Ive found.....is placed close to a homeless camp...( guess that happens alot? ) , and is in a very very bad part of town. I only have myself to blame for actually looking for this cache.....cause I was shaking in my shorts....and was forewarned that dead bodies show up there . No surprise given the area. But when I went to log on, I saw only positive posts. Being the wuss that I am, I kind of posted in the middle grounds. Like, couldnt wait to get out of there........but left it at that. I hope folks get my meaning, and that others have a stronger backbone then I do.

I dont want to disuade cachers from placing caches.....I have almost 200 hides, but I do feel guilty at times for not being strong enough to write a post that I really mean.

Anyway, good discussion.

There was a recent topic that discussed a certain cache and its placement. I am NOT here to rehash that topic and do not want to see it back here, but I did think it brought up a subject that could be mulled over here.

Why not rehash that topic a little? I think it shows the pitfalls of "being honest". The OP in that thread asserted that it was the second worst cache he had ever found. His log was pretty harsh. As it turns out, the cache, while not particularly inspiring, was not the second worst cache of all time (His thread title) Here's the problem. He was being "honest" or at least felt that he was, but honest about what? Honest about his feelings, his opinions. These things are completely subjective and therein lies the problem.

Being honest means objectively reporting your experience. It doesn't mean being rude and insulting the cache hider, but that is exactly what many people want to do.

There was a recent topic that discussed a certain cache and its placement. I am NOT here to rehash that topic and do not want to see it back here, but I did think it brought up a subject that could be mulled over here.

<snip>

Being honest means objectively reporting your experience. It doesn't mean being rude and insulting the cache hider, but that is exactly what many people want to do.

There is a big difference between "objectively reporting your experience" and "insulting the cache hider." :blink:

A cacher from out of this area found two of my caches. One is situated high on a hill with a nice view of the canyon, however there is no place to hide a regular-sized cache. I got the email of their log . . . they wrote that the cache was disappointingly small. :laughing:

At the other cache they said the pen didn't work and those types of pens shouldn't be used in caches. :laughing:

I couldn't do anything about the size of the small cache that fits in a nook beneath a chair-shaped rock you can sit on to enjoy the view, but I did go right out and remove the non-working pen and replace it with a pencil.

I assumed since that person knew so much, they must have found a lot of caches . . . and then I looked at the cache page and the number behind their username. They had found nine. :laughing:

I am a big cache maintenance guy. I try and get out to my caches as much as I can ( at least every other month) and I CITO at just about every cache I go to (on the way out, too busy looking for cache on way in). I also try and keep the intent of the hider in mind when they put the cache together. Was it meant to be well hidden for a good hide for cachers or just out of sight of muggles? Is it meant to be a Park-n-Grab or is it taking me someplace special. I keep that in mind when I hunt the cache. If, however, it is a micro thrown in a bush behind a dumpster, well, I don't think alot of thought went into that hide, no matter what you say.

You see, I don't mind the "Wally" ones as they are kind of a hybrid in of themselves. Cache along a walking trail, good hide. Cache behind shopping center, near grease dumpster lame hide. Cache in a small out of the way park, Good. Cache along guardrail beside road, dangerous.There is a reason the guardrail is there. Cache at a monument, Cool. Cache behind rainspout on side of building, old.

I think any cache can be lame or bad if no thought is put into it. I just feel that I shall be a little more honest on my logs. If it is IMHO not well done, then I will let it be known in a tactful way, and suffer the consequences.

I see no reason to be rude just to prove a point. You can be honest and still pleasant or at least civil.

I guess you didn't do any reasearch before you took your friend out for his first caching experience? Maybe a quick click on a googlemap would have steered you away from that particular cache? Or maybe you didn't really want him to enjoy it?

Back OT-I'll simply say "found it" or perhaps "Thanks for bringing me here?" for caches that do not have much thought put into them. I'll say a bit more for those that do.

Since I use the cache logs to decide if I want to do the cache or not, I appreciate accuracy. Having said that, some folks could be a bit more diplomatic. It is better to just say "a lot of people in the area made the hunt more challenging" than to say "I hate geocaches like this where I have to hunt while 20 people are watching me suspiciously ... this cache was awful". Generally, I also interpret very short logs as an indication the cache may not be an award winner. If I really like a cache, I tend to write more in the log, but that is not always true, sometimes I am just in a hurry.

About 1/4 to 1/2 half my logs have nothing whatsoever to do with the cache. The rest relate but it could be the park, the walk in, the trash, the hobo sleeping nearby, the shopping right after the cache, or the land mines that litter the park. It all depends. Every now and then I'll talk about the cache, but that's not reliable.

CharlieP has a good post on the overall issue.

I looked back on my logs and did see a pattern. If I liked it I wrote at least 100 words or more. If I thought it was lame, my logs were. " In area, nice hide TFTH".

Why would you pat the owner on the back with a "nice hide" comment on a lame cache that clearly wasn't??

That's just encouragment...

So who becomes the big brother and tells us what caches are lame and what caches are great? Everyone has there own way of playing the game and a cache that you may think is lame is one that someone else loves. We have an older retired couple who caches around here and the wife of the group loves all the micros and park and grabs as she does not like walks in the woods. She always thanks the cacher for those types of caches. Personally I look at all caches as a gift and I am grateful that someone has taken the time to place a cache for me to find. I am an optimstic person so I tend to see the good in everything and my logs tend to reflect that. If there is a problem, I am not afraid to say anything and have on many logs brought attention to the owner of a problem but always in a positive light.

Why would you pat the owner on the back with a "nice hide" comment on a lame cache that clearly wasn't??

Perhaps the hide method was not what made the cache lame. :huh:

Davispak's reply caught my eye too. I don't think it's the greatest idea to make a comment like "nice hide" when you really didn't think it was. As i stated in another thread, i very rarely post anything negative unless it's a safety or tresspassing concern i might have. Most of the time i will give a "thanks" (yes, i know this may not be the best thing to do either), but thats about all it will have, if in my opinion, it's a lame cache!

CharlieP hit the nail on the head with his post: a short log pretty much tells the story most of the time. If i liked the cache then the log will be longer. :huh:

Another analogy I favor is crappy Christmas presents from your kids. If my girls buy me a bottle of Old Spice cologne for Christmas, it's a fair bet that I will wear it often, even though it's not my prefered brand. Then I'll spend the remaining 11 months pointing out "other" brands of cologne that I like and hope they get the hint.

Honestly, some of my caches I own are less than thrilling. I placed most of them while I was 13 and 14 years old, and looking back I see where some of them might have seemed boring to a more demanding cacher.

Consider that the cache hider may not be an adult like you, with access to a lot of camo-tools and the experience to know what is interesting. Or maybe they are older, or have a few kids trailing them. I always try to be nice, and if there is something wrong with the cache, it must be addressed in a constructive, not critical manner! It might not even be an age thing- any new cacher is going to have to get their feet wet in hiding sometime and deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Perhaps the hide method was not what made the cache lame. :laughing:

I usually don't make negative comments on the hide itself as it is my belief that the reason we "hide" caches is so they do not get muggled. The harder hides and camo and Fake stump hides were added later I believe as a result of cachers wanting more challenging hides. A lamppost hide is just as good as an elaborate expensive camoflauge if it keeps the cache from being muggled. If you think about it, a pile of sticks on top of an ammo can in the woods is not that original or that great. It's just like in real estate, it's about Location,Location,Location.

I think what I'm talking about is the location of the hide itself. I understand that in heavy metropolitan areas, it is hard to find new places to put a cache, but some garbage strewn field? Or a lamppost in the middle of some generic parkinglot?

To me the big issue is, why is the cache there? Is it taking me to some historical location in town, or some scenic park, or neat monument? Or is it just taking me to some large parking lot, or some illegal dump site on some back road? We just need to have more thought put into caches and better more accurate logs when it comes to location.

There was a recent topic that discussed a certain cache and its placement. I am NOT here to rehash that topic and do not want to see it back here, but I did think it brought up a subject that could be mulled over here. The Topic is " How accurate are your logs, when you log do you, Tell it like it is? or do you sugar coat it?

I understand the fear of being too brutally honest in that you may alianate a fellow cacher or get your log deleted. How honest should you be?

On caches in places I don't like, (dumpster, store front, private yard) I usually say, Not one of my favorite, and thank em for the hunt. Trashy area, mention that it is a CITO opportunity. Should I be more forceful or are these about right?

How do you let somneone know the cache isn't that great?

Discuss :laughing:

I am so new to this sport, and am very happy to see this post. I found my very first cache today ( realcache) with my daughters help. She is now an addict! It was an awesome first cache!

However, the second cache was a much different story! The cache was posted earlier in the week, I'd checked before we went out. My son and I tried to find this cache a few mos ago, but my batteries died in the GPS ( beginners mistake, UGH!)

Well, having the time today, and a willing partner, I tried to find this cache again today. It was hot and humid, yet I knew the area it was likely to be in. We got the cooridinates perfectly, and NO CACHE!!! Davispak, you must have been reading my mind, because even if I had found the cache there, I would have had the say thing to say about it. "WHAT WOULD POSSESS A PERSON TO PUT A CACHE IN A SWAMP THAT STINKS LIKE A DEAD CARCASS!"

Keeping in mind that I'm new to this, perhaps there are things that some folks find appealling, and have all sorts of time on their hands. I do not have an abundance if spare time to look for smelly caches in very unpleasant places. Therefore, I would tend to agree with you that honesty in descriptions would be appreciated. I've been looking forward to this summer and trying something new, getting out there and doing some hiking with the GPS, which I bought explicitly for Geocaching. So far, I'm wishing I liked it more than I do.

Don't worry, there are some really good caches out there. We as a sport, are still in our infancy. Yes we are currently experiencing growth now with the cost of GPSs going down. We will have some lame caches, but there are some great ones out there. Never throw out the baby with the bath water. Stay with it and enjoy.

"WHAT WOULD POSSESS A PERSON TO PUT A CACHE IN A SWAMP THAT STINKS LIKE A DEAD CARCASS!"

This goes to show you that everyone has a different take on what makes a good cache. It's not going to be appealing to alot of people but this sounds like a fun one to me. And no, i dont really like smelling dead carcasses, but that smell would be something i would expect to find out in a swamp.

This is one of the reasons i don't like to post negatively. Whats bad or lame to me is fun for someone else! :anitongue:

"WHAT WOULD POSSESS A PERSON TO PUT A CACHE IN A SWAMP THAT STINKS LIKE A DEAD CARCASS!"

Different strokes for different folks, I reckon. The cache of mine that gets the best reviews is a night cache that goes about 2 miles through a nasty swamp, often up to your knees in water, with wild hogs and feral cattle to keep you company.

Did I mention that I love swamps? :)

Different strokes for different folks, I reckon. The cache of mine that gets the best reviews is a night cache that goes about 2 miles through a nasty swamp, often up to your knees in water, with wild hogs and feral cattle to keep you company.

Did I mention that I love swamps? <_<

Now your's sounds like a fun adventure. Where is this cache? :D:(

Renegade Knight hid a cache a while back named Everything I hate about Micros. Many of the people logging in this forum would have hated this cache, but RK did it with humor. It was a parking lot cache. The log was always wet, and there was no reason for it to be there. Did I mention it was hard to find. Since he has since archived this cache I can describe it. He used a metallic tape that was as wide a parking lot stripe. One side was painted the same color as a parking lot stripe. On the reverse side he had stuck a piece of adventure paper to this tape for the log and stuck the whole thing to the end of a line in the parking lot. A little gravel on it and it was a bear to find.