New Cache Ideas

arpegio

I've got some ideas for some caches... I'd like to bounce them off the community here..

First, I really want to do a BIG cache. I got a shipment of large military containers, including sealed bins for tank and fighter munitions that are really cool. However, I'm trying to figure out the best way to camo something so large... is that expanding foam one of the main things people are using to make caches blend in? Is there any other subtance that is easier to work with? If you used styrofoam or something that was more easily carvable, what can you get OTC to spry on it that would harden it to make it more durable? (I'm reminded of that stuff they do on Monster House).

What are peoples' experience with very large caches (beyond 5gal size)? Is there not really much need or interest or novelty in such?

Second, I have this idea of wiring a large cache to an object. Is this acceptable in the rules? If I place a really nice, large, waterproof container, I don't want it walking off, so I thought I could use some steel cable to bind it to a non-moveable object. Is there any problem doing this?

Also, has anyone worked with tying things up in the air and/or using pulleys? How long would fishing line last if you suspended something in a tree? Or is there more durable rope/twine that is preferred?

Not sure about the first, but I have found two and three while caching. In Florida, I found a cache along the seawall that was attached with heavy duty line to keep it from floating away. In MO I have found caches attached, and one on a small pulley system, lowered into a tree. Had to find the string to find the cache.

Good luck with the "Monster" cache. I found one that I would consider huge, but nothing like a shipping container for tank parts.

sweet

I think natural terrain features always work best for concealment. Around here there are hoolow trees large enough to put big containers in. I have a 5 gallon bucket cache that actually is quite small proportionally to its' hollow tree home and could easily support a 55 gallon drum. I have seen larger caches covered by flat rocks as well. My "golden" rule for hiding is always make the container work with the enviroment and not the other way around.

My "golden" rule for hiding is always make the container work with the enviroment and not the other way around.

I like that!

OK, back on topic;

The only bad thing about large caches is that, after a while, they have a tendancy to look empty, no matter how much stuff you put in them initially. As folks trade out a silver coin for a teddy bear, etc, etc, the volume of space in the cache increases significantly. Not that the contents are any less valuable because of their size, it just gives the appearance of being empty. I'm not sure how big a container you're talking about, so I can't speculate about how fast this will occur. I saw a post by someone who took a footlocker sized container and turned it into a breeder cache, full of ammo cans. I've done something similar with a big ammo can filled with decon kits. Maybe that's a route you could take? I also like the book cache idea, and own one of those myself.

As stated above, the expanding foam is not very durable. Maybe you could fiberglass over the foam to increase it's surface strength? Not sure how that would work. There's a material called hypertufa that I've read about in here. A Google search revealed that it's something like concrete, but much lighter. Maybe that would make a good fake rock. The human eye tends to be drawn to straight lines, and an extra large container will have extra long lines. You'll definetely want to break up the outline with something more than spray paint. One camo method I've been wanting to play with is a type of Ghillie suit for the cache. Buy a decorative net from your craft store and attach it to the can with Shoe Goo in a few dozen spots. Then dye some burlap different woodland colors and tear it into shreds. Tie the dyed, shreeded burlap pieces onto the netting, then add twigs, leaves & stuff from the natural setting.

As far as wiring it in place, I think it's a good idea. Most of my caches are tethered in some fashion, usually with a piece of olive drab paracord. I know a piece of green string won't stop a determined thief, but then again, neither will a 2" logging chain. A tether will only accomplish two things; It lets any accidental finder know that the container belongs where they found it, and it helps prevent Mother Nature from muggling your cache. As long as you don't expect it to prevent your cache from being stolen, you shouldn't be too disappointed.

I personally think fishing line is a bad idea for holding anything heavier than a micro. Sure, you can buy 400# test monofiliment, but rope is a lot cheaper. Fishing line tends to degrade fairly kwick in direct sunlight, which might result in your cache plummeting to earth sooner than you expected.

Bear in mind, everything I've typed is just my opinion, based upon my experience. Judging from the fact that you're not afraid to ask for advice, I'd guess whatever solution you end up using will result in an awesome cache.

Good luck!

Thanks for the very good suggestions! I was wondering about fiberglass... that could work out, but perhaps with fiberglass, the underlying infrastructure could be something easier to deal with than the expanding foam? There must be some other options available to "sculpt" things as well as cover foam to harden and weatherproof it?

I just discovered the site armysupplywarehouse.com and picked up some stuff from them. They have this military tripwire... I'm wondering if that would work well for a situation where you want to suspend items?

btw, the online shop I found has 7.62 ammo cans for $4.99, decons for $1.79, plastic waterproof match containers for $1.89. Anyone found any better deals?

Here are some neat sizes for containers:

ACF477B.jpg

28x11x11

ACFB04.JPG

32x12x6

Kewl cans! I'm very familiar with ASW, and use them to purchase decon kits. A few other sites I've found that sell kewl containers are American Science & Surplus, Major Surplus & Survival, Cheaper than Dirt, Sportsman's Guide and on occasion, Cabelas.

Things may have changed since my Army days, but back then, trip wire was very stiff. It would work great for suspending something, but wouldn't work in an application that required the line to move, such as a pulley system.

Edit to add: Here's the link I saved for the Hypertufa.

Edited by Clan Riffster

I got one of those 20mm ammo cans at an event last year as a door prize. It was painted PINK!!! The instructions were hide it where it would fit in. I wanted to buy about 20 pink flamingo's and put all around it. Finally made it a multi and everything in it was PINK. All trades are to be PINK.

I have found a number of containers chained or secured. If the large cache is fairly obvious then it probably makes sense. I've found lots of 5 gal containers just hiding behind a bush in an area where travel is light and somewhat off the trail.

Expando foam stuff is junk real quick.

The largest I have seen is a biclycle locker. Cache name was the lock combination. It had lots of stuff in it, old bike, old wagon, big teddy bear, etc.

2Dee2Dee

I got a few large caches out there. The big problem is getting it to the sweet spot. I hid one in a rather huge pile of logs next to a stream, another one is hidden in a foundation under some rubble, another is simply hidden in a dense bush just off trail.

I held on to my biggest one for over 6 months before I put it in the wild. I was concerned about it walking away but anyone walking 2 miles with that can - well they can have it. I am pretty sure that the can & contents weighed about 40 pounds.

I've painted all my cans/buckets, flat black and brown, helps break the outline. I'm not after the "evil hide", just some basic cover and protection.

I see those wal-mart containers everywhere... now I know where to get them... thanks! But what's a good source for the rolled up micro log paper? Like something from an adding machine?

When I say fiberglass, I'm thinking of molding it, and making it solid... then painted over. I can't imagine someone having a reaction to that.. that would mean your friend who's allergic couldn't get too close to boats and many old cars?

I see those wal-mart containers everywhere... now I know where to get them... thanks! But what's a good source for the rolled up micro log paper? Like something from an adding machine?

You can easily print your own on an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. A quick Google search "geocache micro log" led me to the link below.

GeekSpeek - Micro Log

The actual file here:

PDF File for Micro Log

Seems like one of the Texas geocaching websites had several styles. Include "Texas" in your Google search and you may find more.

JohnTee