"discovering" Your Traded Coins?

gridlox

OK, Todays topic of discusssion for lack of anything else to do (because I can't get out to cache! :D ) is...

With the recent addition of the "Discovered It" logging option, it would be possible to log your coins or allow the person you traded with to log thier traded coins once they were activated.

Is this something you would do? Or allow the person you traded with to do?

D-man :D

Edited by gridlox

I don't understand.

Are we talking about anything other than logging a coin owned by someone else?

You trade an unactivated coin to someone.

Then after they activate it you "Discover It".

And/Or vice versus, they log the coin they traded you after you activate it.

"Technically" you (and they) had the coin(s) in their possession at one point, so it would not be a virtual log. :D Right?

I don't understand.

Are we talking about anything other than logging a coin owned by someone else?

You trade an unactivated coin to someone.

Then after they activate it you "Discover It".

And/Or vice versus, they log the coin they traded you after you activate it.

"Technically" you (and they) had the coin(s) in their possession at one point, so it would not be a virtual log. :D Right?

It doesn't seem virtual to me.

Go for it.

All part of the community of cachers.

I see nothing wrong with it if I see/hold/discover a coin why not log it?

to add: I would not discover my own coin, I dont think there is anything wrong with doing so but I like my icon list to be only the coins that I have found in caches or discovered from other cachers collections. Same reason I wont log "fake/clone" coins.

Edited by Team Jsam

I ran across this the other day. I met some new cachers that had purchased my coin and they gave to me to move along. I will log it and move it along. I know moving and discovering are different. If I was given the chance to "discover" it? why not. I like icons as much as the next person so why not have your personal icon on the found side as well.

Just my 2 cents worth

I think whether it is right or not depends on whether you have permission.

I buy many of the coins for our local coin group, and I always keep records of the tracking numbers received and who that coin goes out to. But it's just for my records and in case someone has issues with an activation code. One person I bought a coin for said I could log it, and since I had handled it, I think that is okay. But if I started going back through the tracking numbers of coins I distributed and discovering them, I think that would be wrong since I don't have the new owner's permission.

If you release a coin you implicitly give whoever finds it permission to log it. If the owner still has it, I don't think it should be assumed that if you know the number you can log it uninvited. Ask first, and if it's okay, go from there.

Edited by islander1988

I see nothing wrong with it if I see/hold/discover a coin why not log it?

to add: I would not discover my own coin, I dont think there is anything wrong with doing so but I like my icon list to be only the coins that I have found in caches or discovered from other cachers collections. Same reason I wont log "fake/clone" coins.

Ditto.

I go a step further and don't log "discovered"s. I just want a list representative of what I've found.

But, I see no reason why this CAN'T be done - or no reason it SHOULDN'T be done if both parties agree.