Map Problems?

Puckhoundz

Sorry if this has been posted, I dont get to the forums very often.

Just curious if anyone else is having problems with the caches they find not being red "checkmarked" on the maps? I know it takes a few days for the system to update and these "checkmarks" to show up but I found 25 caches on the weekend of July 1-2 and they still don't appear "checkmarked" when I bring up a map of the area.

Now that I look, two caches I found June 24th don't appear "checkmarked" either.

They are checkmarked on the cache lists just not on the maps.

Edited by Puckhoundz

Ok this is getting frustrating.

Nearly a month and half since I have found caches that are STILL not showing as found on the maps. Others found previously on the same map are checkmarked. The caches are checkmarked in the cache list but when I click map it, they arent. Every cache found since mid-June does not show as found on the maps.

So... I filled out one of those question forms and sent it off and received a confirmation number... that was over a week ago....still no response. To add insult it says to check the status of your request click this link. So I do and the page says I dont have the authority to view the page and to login....but there is no place to login on the page and I am already logged in to the geocaching.com website.

Still wishing others would say they are having the same problem.

Ok this is getting frustrating.

Still wishing others would say they are having the same problem.

Yes, I think everybody else is having this problem. (If anyone isn't, feel free to post here.)

The problem is the program that updates these check marks is currently being run manually, normally about once a week. Evidently this hasn't been done in a while. Submitting the problem and/or posting here is usually enough to get someone to notice and to run the update program.

Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one with this problem. You would think since this is a "premium feature" they would be on top of it. Its been 17 days and counting since I filled out the support form and no help in sight from Groundspeak. My membership renewal is up at the end of the month, with this kind of support I doubt I will renew.

I'm experiencing the same frustration. I use the Maps feature frequently to plan my outings, and the red checkmarks are invaluable to me in quickly seeing what I've already done.

The last update appears to have been done in early July, over a month ago, since my finds on July 7 have a checkmark, and those on July 10 (and onward) do not.

Groundspeak....please, let us know what's going on, and what to expect for these updates! Thanks!

Are we talking about this scenario?

1) Look at a cache page

2) Click on "nearby caches"

3) Click on "map it"

If this is what you are talking about (and then optional clicking on the Google maps) this works fine for me.

Little red checkmarks everywhere.

Are we talking about this scenario?

1) Look at a cache page

2) Click on "nearby caches"

3) Click on "map it"

If this is what you are talking about (and then optional clicking on the Google maps) this works fine for me.

Little red checkmarks everywhere.

Well, as of this second, it is for me, too. Yippee! Thanks, Raine!

But it wasn't when I posted that. And yes, I was talking about your scenario, but also the more straightforward one of clicking 'view map' from a cache page (at the top, next to the location).

The map server was rebooted today, let me know if you still are seeing this issue.

-Raine

Fixed for me.

But why did this take so long? This thread has been out there for a month. Support was contacted about 3 weeks ago.

Is there some other way to get this recurring problem resolved faster?

The map server was rebooted today, let me know if you still are seeing this issue.

-Raine

Fixed for me.

But why did this take so long? This thread has been out there for a month. Support was contacted about 3 weeks ago.

Is there some other way to get this recurring problem resolved faster?

I took care of the Fat Cats individually.

The short answer is no. It's getting near impossible to get the old maps to do what we want.

The long answer is we're going to have to retire these maps and, instead, integrate filter functionality for your finds in the new google maps interface. The map service we use to generate the checkmarks constantly fails and is too unreliable to do this anymore. I try to run it daily to update the checkmarks and I can never get through them. So I have resorted to running them individually when I see posts like The Fat cats or yours.

The long answer is we're going to have to retire these maps and, instead, integrate filter functionality for your finds in the new google maps interface. The map service we use to generate the checkmarks constantly fails and is too unreliable to do this anymore.

Drat. :ph34r:

I "grew up" with those checkmarks on the maps and will miss them.

But I guess I understand why you'd want to get rid of headache like this.

I don't mind progress if it's forward progress. But my favorite continuing use of the GC.com maps is to get an overview of an area, to spot "groups" of caches to target for a day of geocaching. With gas prices high and time in short supply, I wait several months for a number of new caches to pop up in an area. I scan the map of my home region and say "hmmm, there are a lot of caches southeast of town that I haven't found since my last trip there six months ago... I will plan a visit to that area." With the GC.com maps and their checkmarks, this is easily done at any zoom level. With Google Maps, flagging found caches would be pretty useless for this purpose. That is because only 20 caches are shown at a time. I like panning around at the county-wide zoom level.

Edited by The Leprechauns

Actually what I would like is to have the caches that I have found not show up on the maps at all. In urban areas with lots of caches the checkmarked ones just cover up the ones not found and sometimes I don't even know there is one there I havent found unless I zoom in nearly all the way.

I can answer your question. The maps only indicate found caches for premium members. It does not appear you are a premium member.

I am a premium member and only3 of my found caches are showing checked. I actually came to the forum for the same problem, I hope someone can solve the problem for us.

The short answer is no. It's getting near impossible to get the old maps to do what we want.

The long answer is we're going to have to retire these maps and, instead, integrate filter functionality for your finds in the new google maps interface. The map service we use to generate the checkmarks constantly fails and is too unreliable to do this anymore. I try to run it daily to update the checkmarks and I can never get through them. So I have resorted to running them individually when I see posts like The Fat cats or yours.

I am bumping this thread to ask if Groundspeak has abandoned the challenging/frustrating effort to get the existing maps to do what they are supposed to do. If not, let me beg for a manual update. My last 225 finds, going back to July 8th, are not showing up with checkmarks on the maps. It's become impossible to use the maps for trip planning purposes in areas that I've visited in the past two months -- two trips to Erie, two trips to Akron, two trips to Lancaster County, plus my home area. Fortunately I can still plan offline using pocket queries, but I still like the GC.com maps for a broad overview of where there are concentrations of caches I haven't found.

If your server hamsters are still trying valiantly to keep up with the slow checkmarking feature, I will gladly ship you a few boxes of my latest broods of hamsters. Recently, I introduced steroids into the water bottles in both the breeding cages and the nursery cages. Unexpectedly, the rate of reproduction in the breeding cages increased markedly within a week of the diet change. I am now faced with an inventory overstock, in that I am unable to leave signature items in caches fast enough to keep up with the rate of production. In part this is due to the proliferation of micros, but that issue is handled by the white mice production line, which is unaffected by the steroid experiments.

I do believe that the steroid-enhanced hamsters may solve both our problems. Thank you for your consideration. You may reply privately with shipping instructions.