"dipping" Tb's = Bad Form?

markp99

I had great intentions this week while on vacation.

I gathered-up 7 local TB's and a couple geocoins to drop off while on vacation at the beach (~200 miles from home). We only managed a single excursion and found just 2 caches (after very nice walks, BTW). I did officically drop a coin and 3 TB's.

I was thinkining about logging the miles for the remaining TB's by "dipping" them into the last cache we visited (which was already stuffed full) and then re-releasing them locally. These TB's did make the round trip in the car and were carried along the trails, but I could just not stuff them into that last cache.

I've seen logs where people dipped personal TB's and coins to log their mileage. Would it be bad form to do the same for this handfull of TB's?

thanks,

markp99

I was thinkining about logging the miles for the remaining TB's by "dipping" them into the last cache we visited (which was already stuffed full) and then re-releasing them locally. These TB's did make the round trip in the car and were carried along the trails, but I could just not stuff them into that last cache.

As long as the TB's made the trip they should get credit for the miles, even if they just visited the cache and weren't left there. Its a pretty common practice to dip TB like that, and IMHO a good thing, not bad form at all.

As long as the TB's made the trip they should get credit for the miles, even if they just visited the cache and weren't left there. Its a pretty common practice to dip TB like that, and IMHO a good thing, not bad form at all.

Agreed.

I have found no matter what you do or don't do in caching, somebody will take offense. :D

How dare you say that!!!!! :D Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Now back to the subject at hand.......Just do what you think is right. Some will say it's a good idea and some won't.

If it was my TB, I'd like it if you "dipped" it. My guess is that most TB owners would agree. But, maybe other TB owners think differently. If you're worried, e-mail the TBs' owners. If they are ok with it, it would be perfectly fine to do so. If any of them say no, then don't drop theirs, just do the ones whose owners say ok.

I too am thinking off "dipping TB"S we also just returned from vacation and do to circumstances beyond our control ( All The caches were too small for the tb"S WE TOOK WITH US) the TB"S just would not fit. And we hit caches from NJ through MAryland to Virginia and North Carolina. Boo Hooo I am missing the larger caches.. Yes I knew there were going to be micors on the rest stops but others were marked as regular caches only to find tiny altoids tins etc. Lately our finds have all become very small containers. I miss the ammo cans , or the gallon bucket containers. Now those are containers I would dearly love to see again.

Personally, I hate dipping and will be asking people to not dip any of my bugs on the bug page (and on printed goal sheets), but unless the owner asks you not to, I don't think there is any reason not to.

Personally, I think it just seems kinda silly to dip a bug though unless the bug specifically has a distance-related goal.

Personally, I hate dipping and will be asking people to not dip any of my bugs on the bug page (and on printed goal sheets), but unless the owner asks you not to, I don't think there is any reason not to.

Personally, I think it just seems kinda silly to dip a bug though unless the bug specifically has a distance-related goal.

So if I took your bug to Disney World show it a good time, pictures, parties, I couldn't log it through one of the virtuals showing it had been there?

A guy logged my daughter's bug through 14 states, posted some great photos of the places it visited, with no dipping it would moved once. Wouldn't have that been exciting? yippe. :laughing:

You might be missing out of some of the fun things people can do for your bug.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I almost always dip bugs that I have in my posession but am not dropping yet for whatever reason (caches too small, plan to put in a specific cache or move in a specific direction, etc.) I'm behind in posting pictures right now, but I try to take and post at least one picture of each bug regardless of whether it's suggested on the bug sheet. I have gotten several notes from happy owners thanking me for the efforts I've taken with their bug and that they've enjoyed seeing me move it around.

i wouldnt want someone to just dip mine,,i guess its alright to dip your own though..on the other hand why should this place alow someone to take up all the computer space just to see where they have been LOL..if they want to see where they and thier bug has been,just buy a diary and dont tie up space on line..its a pain in the as* also to see a bug listed at a cache then get there to find out they just traded bugs at the same time..

Edited by team lagonda

I guess I just don't understand why someone would release a TB and then not want to see it movements if they involve dipping. If it was in my posession while I visited a handful of caches and I took photos of it, why wouldn't you want me to post that and show off its adventures? Isn't that half the fun of a TB?

I guess I just don't understand why someone would release a TB and then not want to see it movements if they involve dipping. If it was in my posession while I visited a handful of caches and I took photos of it, why wouldn't you want me to post that and show off its adventures? Isn't that half the fun of a TB?

Follow the owners instructions. If they don't ask for it, don't do it.

Follow the owners instructions. If they don't ask for it, don't do it.

Oh, of course I'll honor the wishes of the owner. I most definitely wouldn't do anything they asked me not to. I am all for abiding by the wishes of the owner.

I'm just curious why someone would release a travel bug but not want to see some of its movements logged. Isn't that kind of the general point of a travelbug, to release it and see where it goes? I'm just asking for an explanation from someone opposed to this for their own bugs as to why they don't want to see these movements, because it would help me understand. Right now I don't get it and I admit I need someone to explain it to me like I'm two

I most definitely wouldn't do anything they asked me not to.

That's not what I said.

Let's put it this way. If I ever found a bug with strict logging instructions I wouldn't even bother to pick it up.

I don't have to wonder why people would set a no dipping a rule. I don't log it and the owner gets his wish.