Establishment Of The Hendrix Fund

Cav Scout

Geocachers are always around to help those in need. Here is my offer to anyone who will read what I write here.

On 27 June I recieved the call to my CP (Command Post) in Rawah, Iraq that the Troop TAC had hit a IED (Improvised Explosive Device). The BDA (Battle Damage Assesment) and wounded was unknown at the time. Frantic calls came across the Troop net with updated reports. I knew who was on the Stryker Recon Vehicle and I feared the worse. The first reports was no KIA's. Reports of urgent surgical was coming across the radio now. I heard the names SSG Keeslar and SPC Hendrixs. Both had lost parts of their legs and loss of blood was great... A 9 line was called in and soon on the ground was the MEDIVAC that flew them both to Balad, Iraq. The call came across the FOB (Forward Operation Base) for donations of blood for Keeslar and Hendrixs. Marines, Seamen, Airmen and Soldiers lined up to donate blood and help their Brothers in Arms. Both Soldiers survided that terrible day on 27 June 2006.

SSG Keeslar and Hendrix both lost limbs. Keeslar lost both legs and Hendrixs lost his right leg and is still in ICU at Walter Reed Hospital. Keeslar is doing good and is in high spirits. Hendrix is not doing so well and is still unable to talk. His Parents are now with him and paying for travel expenses out of their own pockets.

Keeslar and Hendrixs geocached with me in NM before we deployed to Iraq. Both Soldiers helped design the OIFGA geocoins. Their participation with geocaching was brief but they will always be remembered by me for the Gold and Silver OIFGA geocoins they helped design.

I am selling my collection of geocoins and donating the money to the both of them to offset the costs of their families expenses for traveling to the east coast. It may not be much but at least I feel good about helping out with the expenses for the families.

Both Keeslar and Hendrixs did their jobs well in Iraq by keeping terrorists from harming the citizens of Iraq. They both gave all.

What I am asking is for donations from geocoin sales and having the money given to the families of the two wounded Soldiers. My Commander and I are currently working on a address to send donations too. If you are interested send me a note with a good email to contact you at. Once the Fund address is set up I will send everyone out a email.

The geocoins I have will be sold using Ebay. The money will be sent to the Hendrixs fund through Ebay.

Respectfully,

Cav Scout

Edited by Cav Scout

We have a couple, and it would be our honor to donate them to a MORE THAN WORTHY cause! Please send our prayers and best wishes to all involved. Just let us know an address to send donations to, and you will have them! BTW: THANK YOU for taking on this project! These guys gave ALOT to protect our country, and strangers from another country. As we see it, we owe it to them!

I'm in.

Let us know if there is a common description you would like us to use for the sale page, how to get them the proceeds, etc. I'm also interested in bidding on coins in your collection for this cause.

Best regards to them, and thanks to you and all with which you serve.

What I am trying to do is collect donations from geocoin sales that geocachers are currently involved in. I will accept geocoins to ad to the geocoins I am selling on Ebay. I plan on selling the coins in lots. Only a few geocoins will be sold individually. I am keeping certain coins that have meaning to me. One that comes to mind is the Gold OIFGA reserved for military/combat veterans that Keeslar and Hendrixs helped me design.

The coins will go up for sale when I arrive to Alaska in the first week of August. I wll prompt all of those who donated coins or money to the fund before the sales start.

To those who have responded thus far, I salute you.

Edited by Cav Scout

:D Of course we would be happy to donate coins or sell them and send the money. :D

We will be watching for more information.

BTW: Your original post was thick with drama, you should take up writing when you get home. :D

--Richard

PS: Please don't start sending those huge emails with photos again.

:D

Edited by GBOTS

As I was looking through my coins to see what I'll be contributing, the first two in my binder happen to be two coins I don't think I'll ever be parting with.

Silver OIFGA and Cav Scout Raven.

hmmm ... reading the OP again while holding those coins ...

guess we're all connnected in some way, huh?

Edited by ScoutingWV

I'll buy off eBay to support the cause. If you would, please be sure to put in the title something specific that refers to the fund. That makes it really easy to find those auctions & keep track of them. That also relieves me of doubts about whether or not it's "OK" to buy that coin. The sellers that have been handling the "Ladycacher Relief" auctions have been doing an awesome job! I think it is wonderful that you are doing this for them! Thankyou!

When the auction happens each listed item will have the Hendrix fund on it. This will happen when I get home from Iraq in a few weeks. If things change for the better and his family gets money from elsewhere or the Army supports them I will notify everyone and call of fthe auction. The Auction of the coins is only intended to help the Families of the wounded Soldiers Keeslar and Hendrix.

Thanks for everyones interest in supporting my Soldiers families in time of need.

When the auction happens each listed item will have the Hendrix fund on it. This will happen when I get home from Iraq in a few weeks. If things change for the better and his family gets money from elsewhere or the Army supports them I will notify everyone and call of fthe auction. The Auction of the coins is only intended to help the Families of the wounded Soldiers Keeslar and Hendrix.

Thanks for everyones interest in supporting my Soldiers families in time of need.

Hopefully 'Hendrix Fund' will show up in the title so that we'll know at a glance which coins are safe to bid on. :)

My thoughts go out to both of them, as well as the many others who risk their lives everyday for what they believe in.

Hopefully 'Hendrix Fund' will show up in the title so that we'll know at a glance which coins are safe to bid on. B)

My thoughts go out to both of them, as well as the many others who risk their lives everyday for what they believe in.

The title will be listed as the "Hendrixs Fund". It will be a one time thing and closely monitored by me. The money will be allowed to come in one time and not be a constant flow for a undetermined amount of time. Keeslar and Hendrixs may not be able to walk for at least a year or until PT is complete. Keeslar has been emailing the men of A Troop during the last few days. He has been telling us that Hendrixs can't talk due to his jaw being broken. Hendrixs is however writting words on paper and communicating that way.

I wish I could do more for them but I know I can't... Its tough being a First Sergeant when your men get hurt. I treat them like they are my own sons.

The bidding will be safe and the money will go to a good cause. It will not be used to buy anything else except for the needs of the families whil ethey are with their sons.

Thanks for all of your offers for help :laughing: .

Edited by Cav Scout

As many of may know by now President Bush has extended the 172nd SBCT in Iraq and is moving us to Baghdad. I have been extended 120 more days on top of the full year I have already served. I will be holding off on the coin auction for Hendrixs and Keeslar. Hopefully by the time I decide to do this auction things wil be good and no donations will be needed.

This is a tough time for me and I have accepted my extension in Iraq.

See you all on the trail soon :lol: .

Edited by Cav Scout

As many of may know by now President Bush has extended the 172nd SBCT in Iraq and is moving us to Baghdad. I have been extended 120 more days on top of the full year I have already served. I will be holding off on the coin auction for Hendrixs and Keeslar. Hopefully by the time I decide to do this auction things wil be good and no donations will be needed.

This is a tough time for me and I have accepted my extension in Iraq.

See you all on the trail soon :ph34r: .

I will be happy to donate a couple of coins from my collection for Keeslar and Hendrixs familys ! I have a Silver OIFGA coin in my collection that I take to all events to share with all. Take care over there and THANKS for protecting our country