Google Earth Is Useless

Tymbee

Ok, Google Earth is really slick. I enjoy using it when I can. If the maps had any kind of detail for the areas I need, I'd probably use it as one of my primary mapping programs.

But for virtually all the areas I need, the map detail simply isn't there. MS's Terraserver maps are simply vastly superior. I can pick out houses, streets and even small buildings w/ Terraserver, but that same area in Google Earth? Can hardly tell whether that gray splotch is even a town.

Is it just me? I can't be the only one that lives in the boondocks and is feeling a bit left out... :D

Guys, Google Earth is free. Enjoy it :D

Oh please, not the "it's free enjoy it" defense! :D

Besides, I didn't say I didn't enjoy it. I rather like it. Just pointing out that it's pretty much useless for some purposes.

Personally I'd gladly pay for the "pro" version but I assume the underlying data is the same. (?) I also expect that eventually they'll have the whole earth covered.

But I won't be really impressed until someone figures out how to deliver high res, full color, _real time_ streaming video images! Of course by a hermit like me will have erected huge domes over my estate to keep out all those prying eyes...

does this give you the same detail?

http://local.live.com

it's MS w/ navteq data..not sure where the images themselves come from..

I'm not an MS fan, but it's pretty cool.

edit: btw, try the bird's eye view if the data's avail..it's pretty wild, you can swing around from multiple vantage points (does g earth do that too?).

edit: re-added URL (did I forget the first time or do they need to be short links to be allowed in the forum)

Edited by thefiveofus

edit: btw, try the bird's eye view if the data's avail..it's pretty wild, you can swing around from multiple vantage points (does g earth do that too?).

Yes, you can rotate and cant the angle of the display in Google Earth. Additionally, in cities, high-rise buildings are displayed quite effectively.

There are actually higher-res pictures of the entire US that google doesn't use, probably because they are black & white and 5-10 years old.

Those who live in the boondocks might want to try NASA's WorldWind. It uses the same aerial imagery as TerraServer. The 2001 Hi-res color imagery for urban areas and the one-meter resolution B&W imagery for other areas that's from about 1996-2001 if I remember correctly.

I tried WorldWind a couple weeks ago and didn't like it. Its navigation controls aren't as good as Google Earth's, and it really ate up CPU cycles on the P4 3.4GHz machine I use at my office.

I find this to be an incredibly low-class complaint, yet I will offer...

Hi Jamie,

"low'class" ??? What on Google Earth are you talking about?? I just made a simple factual statement summed up in the subject of my post.

One's not allowed to comment on the relative strengths/weaknesses of a particular program for their purposes?

Thanks for the input re. the Ask maps. I'll check 'em out.

There are actually higher-res pictures of the entire US that google doesn't use, probably because they are black & white and 5-10 years old.

Those who live in the boondocks might want to try NASA's WorldWind. It uses the same aerial imagery as TerraServer. The 2001 Hi-res color imagery for urban areas and the one-meter resolution B&W imagery for other areas that's from about 1996-2001 if I remember correctly.

I tried WorldWind a couple weeks ago and didn't like it. Its navigation controls aren't as good as Google Earth's, and it really ate up CPU cycles on the P4 3.4GHz machine I use at my office.

My observations re. World Wind parallel yours. Interesting program however. I see they have an updated version as of this spring as well.

Yes, you can rotate and cant the angle of the display in Google Earth. Additionally, in cities, high-rise buildings are displayed quite effectively.

The bird's eye view pictures aren't the same thing. In google you can tilt the view, but you are still looking at pictures taken from directly above. The bird's eye pictures are taken at an angle, i.e. looking at the side of a building instead of the roof.

I like WW's controls a lot better. Google's work backwards from every other 3d app in the world.

you know, you can always go to USAPhotomaps and download as big of an aerial photo image as you want, then use GE to 'overlay' that image over the GE image.

GE is working to define higher resolution coverage. Takes time and a lot of bucks for them to do so.

In my neck of the woods (Houston) the coverage is excellent and with very good resolution. The images are also registered quite well with less than 3' accuracy being the norm. For the other places I just create a large JPG photo image file and do the overlay bit.

I just wish that GE gave the ability to define several lat/lon points on the overlay images as a means to register the files. Instead of trying to move the image around to line up with their images.