Can Any One Recomend...

dablondeemu

Old Yeller, or better known as the E-Trex Yellow. $99 at Wal-Mart, cheapest you can get that has the ability to Download waypoints.

You could try the Lowrance i-Finder Go at around $60, there is an "unofficial" way to download waypoints, but I'd recommend if you go that route be prepared to either punch them in by hand, or do some research and see if the process of sending it waypoints is too intense. (It a bit technical, but do-able.)

There is no charge for GPS satellite signals. Onc eyou buy your GPS your only expense for it will be batteries. *

If you can afford a bit more, I would recommend a Garmin eTrex Legend GPS. They come with the cord you will need to upload waypoints to the unit directly, have built-in base maps that are adequate, hold 1000 waypoints, and are tough.

I used one for my first 300 finds and still hang on to it for a back up unit (I only upgraded to be able to do auto-routing).

*of course, that doesn't include:

premium membership

GSAK

Cachemate

and other handy tools you will want to consider buying later to make life easier on yourself--but they are only in the nice-but-not-necessary category!

If money is an issue, I've seen the Garmin Geko 101 sold for $49 new. Last time I looked though the cheapest I saw it for was $55. Still its a good unit for the money and probably the easiest unit to use. Its a bit limited because it doesn't have a PC hookup, but will find a cache just as well as a $400 unit.

Old Yeller, or better known as the E-Trex Yellow. $99 at Wal-Mart, cheapest you can get that has the ability to Download waypoints.

is this it http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1533 ?

That's the cheapest in the Etrex series. Unfortunately, it doesn't ship with a cable to connect it to a computer. For a little more money, you can step up to an Etrex Legend, getting a unit capable of displaying maps, and getting the cable to connect it to your PC. To get the cable from Garmin will cost you $38 ($50 if you want the power/data cable instead of just the data cable). When you figure that into the price, the Legend is a bargin. Of course, if you shop around you may be able to find a "knock off" cable cheaper. Personally, I'd just get the Legend and have a better unit and the cable.

Check e-bay for used models. Garmin has a nice site to compare models, both current and past. You can get what was a topline model (and still better than low-end new models) for under $50. I use an old GPS 12, and prefer it to newer models I've used/borrowed. Just my opinion though - others will disagree. Everyone has their own wants/needs.

Good choice. Its an excellent starter unit and has enough features to keep you happy for a long time.

One bit of advice though. The Legend is a bit sensitive to how its held, so if you are under trees ALWAYS keep it flat, face up to the sky. That way its antenna is facing up. Also turn it on well before entering the woods so it has a good idea where all the sats are.

I'm a Garmin guy and hail the new Garmin Etrex Venture Cx as the best value in their hand held line. It has a color screen; expandable memory; and is capable of auto routing with the optional software. You provide the memory and USB cable. You can find them for $200 at most reputable online retailers.