Search On Here Makes Sucking Sounds!

kb9nvh

Is it just me or does the search on this board particularly SUCK bad. I mean, "sorry you cant type in words that have less than 5 characters" Gimme a break!!!

Surely this can be confiured better...the board overal is great!!

Whos in charge??? Lets fix the search on this board (either that, or tell me why/how I'm just too stupid to use it correctly)...

:-)

Rant Over

Hello,

The Groundspeak Forums utilize third party forum software called Invision PowerBoard. The search tools, and their limitations, are "canned" features of this product. So, the proper place to vent would be in the Invision PowerBoard user forums. This question comes up frequently, and the response from Groundspeak is that they're sympathetic, but cannot change this built-in product feature.

You might have a look at the forum help section, which offers some searching tips, like the use of wildcard characters. This sometimes helps when your search doesn't return the desired results.

Is it just me or does the search on this board particularly SUCK bad. I mean, "sorry you cant type in words that have less than 5 characters" Gimme a break!!!

Surely this can be confiured better...the board overal is great!!

Whos in charge??? Lets fix the search on this board (either that, or tell me why/how I'm just too stupid to use it correctly)...

:-)

Rant Over

Simple solution really. All you need to do is to get the forum admins to come in on weekends and evenings, and search and replace all instances of, for example, "GPS" with "GPSxxx". PDA could be replaced with "PDAxxx".

Piece-a-cake! ;-)

Or you can let google handle the searching.:

goto www.google.com or you can do the same thing in the google toolbar if you use that in your browser.

and type in your keyword(s) followed by a space and then type site:forums.Groundspeak.com.

Here are 3 that you can try:

gps site:forums.Groundspeak.com

pda site:forums.Groundspeak.com

gps pda site:forums.Groundspeak.com

Or you can let google handle the searching.:

goto www.google.com or you can do the same thing in the google toolbar if you use that in your browser.

and type in your keyword(s) followed by a space and then type site:forums.Groundspeak.com.

Here are 3 that you can try:

gps site:forums.Groundspeak.com

pda site:forums.Groundspeak.com

gps pda site:forums.Groundspeak.com

Thats great that you can use google to actually find what your looking for but I agree with the topic starter, the search on this site now sucks. there is no reason I should have to use google to search, the search here used to work great then it was disabled for awhile and when they brought it back it just doesn't work all that well.

when searching first thing you have to do is refine the search to look at any date and older, not the any date and newer that is checked by default.

I agree with the original post. The search engine usually does NOT work for me in any useful fashion. Others have tried to educate me in this matter, but I cannot seem to internalize the needed skill-set. Many times I search for posts and threads that I know exist and can't find them. I know that others have a greater level of success, but I find that in the majority of cases it is a waste of time for me to do a search first. I'm sure that if those in charge had a way, that they would fix it because it does annoy them to be answer the same questions every week.

The best way to handle it is to just ask what you want to know. This results in two types of responses: (1) the answer itself and/or (2) someone telling you that the answer exists and (if you are lucky) directing you where to look. If someone sounds annoyed about it, don't worry about it. They are just responding to the same frustration that you noted.